Retired #11: David Zaharakis - Survivin'

Remove this Banner Ad

Because the inconsistencies of view shared by fans sets out the context in which those opinions are held and, in my view, highlights the inaccuracy of those opinions.

Edit: Colyer has been in the system 1 year less than Zaharakis. Watson is a club stallwart, Heppell the captain and a 100 game player and Josh Green has been in the system for seven years.
Is that including the year he was banned? And 'in the system' is one thing but Zaka has pretty much been an auto inclusion in the seniors since day dot. Trav has had to fight for every opportunity he's got and if you can't see the improvement in him as a player since he started then I'm not sure what to say. Green you've been pillorying since he was even mentioned as a possibility to be in an Essendon jumper. I honestly don't get it. I'm behind every player that pulls on the jumper but you seem to be dead set against some (even before they run out) and they can do nothing right in your eyes. It's just weird mate.

Further, when people say Zaka is soft, they're not talking about him waiting around outside a pack to get the loose ball/pass. That's his job as an outside player in a pack situation. We get that. People call him soft because there have been plenty of times where in a one on one, he'll pull out/hold back/short step whatever you want to call it. He just won't go hoping the opposition player will fumble (or pass it to him??) or something. That's his turn to go, outside player or not, and he doesn't always do it. I think calling him soft is a bit harsh but it's definitely something and it's not a good look.

Sure he's a good player. Not disputing that but to have a crack at other players in order to defend his deficiencies seems just a bit like you taking an opportunity for a few cheap shots at some players you're not keen on because they're not <insert VFL player who may/may not still even be on the list>.

I'll add - if he didn't take short steps and not even enter certain marking situations this thread would be about half the pages.

We've all been scared on a footy field and we have all done it - but this is happening 2 or 3 times a game at the highest level and it stands out like dogs proverbials.

I'll add - if he didn't take short steps and not even enter certain marking situations this thread would be about half the pages.

We've all been scared on a footy field and we have all done it - but this is happening 2 or 3 times a game at the highest level and it stands out like dogs proverbials.

It's hard not to have a laugh when you've been in another thread talking up Lovett like he was an elite player.

Here is your example Beerfish. CBombers17 will come here and slag off Zaharakis for taking short steps while holding Andrew Lovett out as a standard for what a player can be. Why would I take this seriously?

It's hard not to have a laugh when you've been in another thread talking up Lovett like he was an elite player.

Here is your example Beerfish. CBombers17 will come here and slag off Zaharakis for taking short steps while holding Andrew Lovett out as a standard for what a player can be. Why would I take this seriously?

I'm not slagging him off - I'm simply saying he's timid in the contest which puts him under more scrutiny than if he wasn't .

If you had to pick one out of the two to play in a GF who would you chose?

I'm not slagging him off - I'm simply saying he's timid in the contest which puts him under more scrutiny than if he wasn't .

If you had to pick one out of the two to play in a GF who would you chose?
Zaharakis every time. Not even a contest.

You wouldn't. I guess I just see what looks to me like unfairly slagging off other players on our list and it seems a bit beyond the pale doing it in this thread to defend Zaka.

Lovett was good; but only averaged 20+ disposals in his career once. Zaharakis is a better contested player and less of a flash in the pan like Lovett.

Lovett was good; but only averaged 20+ disposals in his career once. Zaharakis is a better contested player and less of a flash in the pan like Lovett.
Different class of disposal and I would like to see a comparison in terms of distances gained per possession / run and carry. I'd take 20 Lovett possesions over many others. Real hurt factor.

Exactly the type to break open a GF IMO.

Different class of disposal and I would like to see a comparison in terms of distances gained per possession / run and carry. I'd take 20 Lovett possesions over many others. Real hurt factor.

Exactly the type to break open a GF IMO.
Zaka's kicking this year has been the only good part of his game. Been fantastic and probably why he's still in the side. The point I was making is that Lovett never got it as much as that bar one year. I'll take 25 Zaharakis possessions over 17 Lovett possessions every day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did they? I thought they were keen as well. There were quite a few clubs interested.
He had quite a bit of interest.

He was definitely the icing on a premiership team.

Through a very ordinary part of our history he was one of very few worth watching in our team.

Thats when he showed up to play that is.

He had quite a bit of interest.

He was definitely the icing on a premiership team.

Through a very ordinary part of our history he was one of very few worth watching in our team.

Thats when he showed up to play that is.
Just read that Geelong were in to him a year before his contract finished (2008?) But it fell through.

Some pretty good clubs in their prime wanted him then...that doesn't just happen for a flash in the pan with off field issues. He was a pretty special talent.

Anyways, I never offered him up as the greatest player of all time. I simply think we need more damaging runners with better skills on the outside. Zaka is solid enough but not with added avoidance issues - IMO.

Just read that Geelong were in to him a year before his contract finished (2008?) But it fell through.

Some pretty good clubs in their prime wanted him then...that doesn't just happen for a flash in the pan with off field issues. He was a pretty special talent.

Anyways, I never offered him up as the greatest player of all time. I simply think we need more damaging runners with better skills on the outside. Zaka is solid enough but not with added avoidance issues - IMO.
They both have their pros and cons.

Pretty much summarises Essendon in the last fifteen years.

Doubt either player would could be relied upon in a premiership team.

I would take Lovett for the excitement factor.

It's been great having Walla having the excitement factor that Lovett had, as well as the consistency (so far).

Tuesday is 'a big game', which is to say not finals big, but something like an analogue of finals pressure and atmosphere (the crowd, the build-up). We've been out in the tundra for a few years now with only the odd final.
That old Sheedy adage about testing what players bring to the plate in 'big games' like Anzac Day in order to see what they had in them with finals in mind (cause we would be in them each year of course) - I think this applies to established players like Zaka as well as we reset and aim for top-eight. He has performed well on Anzac Day before, it's a really important 3 points for us, and there will be a lot of people watching: can he lift another cog, which even good 'non-superstar' players need to do in big games?

(For the record, I'd probably take the 20 possessions and a goal if his possessions are as good as they have been so far this year).

Did they? I thought they were keen as well. There were quite a few clubs interested.

Lovett could have gone to three clubs - StKilda offered the second best trade offer to Essendon - RFC allowed Lovett to make the choice

Zakka has been a magic player for us for years,given us great service, does not deserve to be slagged off by own supporters.

Hope he kicks some big time arse AnZAK day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back