Radio 1116 SEN 2024 Line-up

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel bad for you. That you think men are more inclined to be driven by their dicks than their values is a reflection on you more so than anyone else.
Pfffft! Haroomph! Bollocks. I'm sorry to introduce you to the real world where Santa ain't real and men are motivated by sex.
I've heard it a 100 times. It's typically the "non-looker/struggle-to-pick-upperers" who defend women's sport the loudest: Maher, Hutchy, Slobbo, and Shane "McEyenes" on 3aw.

It's kind of weird how you remember random s**t, and it affects how you view them?
Consider how many matches Russell has commentated, and all the s**t he cops for it on various forums.
The day after the 2003 NRL Grand Final (A game so good, it's the best game of anything in this country ever), David Hookes, having acknowledged that he didn't like RL, opened sports today glowing praise of the game. Deeerrrrwaaaayyyyynnnnee downplayed it, and was saying Brisbane's performance in the previous week's AFL GF was a better spectacle or some s**t.
He lost me then. Whenever I read criticism of him. I saying to myself "Yeah, he didn't think the 2003 NRL GF was that good. Of course he's a knob".
Ha ha, I've also got one, but it was probably more blatant. I remember an NRL player once taking a nice speccy near the try line (it might've been Thurston) which was a featured highlight of that weekend. Derwayne did a big rant that week on 3aw about how stuffed League is because something that happens several times during an AFL game was such a big/rare highlight in it (NRL)

Last edited:
Shocking radio that I'm embarrassed to have on in the background - they just played the Crunch Time riff 40 times before going to yet another round of breaks. It's getting to the stage where the authorities will to look at how much time is devoted to commercials on SEN. If you count the actual ads, plus the namedropping and sponsors in every conversation, it must be over the limits.
Today I again got around to meticulously editing the first hour of Off The Bench, :D deleting all the ads, live sponsor reads, ad 'stingers', and the two 30-second intros to Third Person and The Bill Lawry thing, and it came down to 35 mins 47 seconds, give or take a few seconds.
That's pretty crap for a show that only has one news break per hour.

I find the live reading of sponsors worse than normal ad-breaks, because during an ad-break I can tune out or turn over for a few minutes, but live ads during content are like we've been tricked into listen to it. In fact, it's insufferable. First world problems. ha :D

Last edited:

In case anyone missed it, Rohan Connolly and Finey said some interesting things about SEN the other day on their Footyology podcast. It starts at 23m40s
Brilliant thank you , Finey reads it well. Maybe 1278 gets all of them back together and *s off all the nsw flogs

That said, it shows the inexperienced (and probably overworked) producers Hutchy hires. Most are straight out of uni or community radio, and have not 'done their time' in bush/country radio, where you are taught (or have to learn by yourself) how to produce a show 5-days-a-week with zero budget.
I think you'll find that's certainly not the case for most of the regular day time programming, and contributor budgets has nothing to do with the producers – that comes from management and people much higher up the food chain. Complain to Hutchy about that one lol

back on sen though i turned over for the cricket and their effects background had dropped out and listening to flemmo and co call off the telly got a bit bornig so i've flipped over to msr where beva and co are calling off the telly but at least their background feed is holding up
What on earth are you taking about? SEN finally got their act together to put together a real call team over there. Have a look at Damien Flemming's twitter, he's with Adam Collins who's the lead caller and he's been taking photos from the grounds in England all last week. If a Crowd FX mic dropped out, it would've been one actually at the venue

I know the show is produced by Croc Media but I would be surprised if Russell left the 3AW show. It rates three times what SEN does and he calls football for 3AW so there would have to be some fairly difficult contract terms to get around. Possible for 2020 I guess. He can do the SA SEN show as it is into a different market.

I can only presume Hudson doesn't want to do a daily show on a regular basis as otherwise I am certain he would be hosting a regular show.

I think he will move Heverin to Drive with Del Santo and replace him on nights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its hard not to argue that a lot of the heart has been ripped out of SEN.

Firstly they replaced Finey (who brought some really good footy people with him like Rohan Connolly and Robert Shaw), a really good analyst who is not afraid to call people out that others are afraid to due to a conflict of interest. They swapped him with the most vanila presenter in Jack Heverin who seems to be getting more and more air time every week. He just tows the company line and offers very little. It is all well and good to be everyone's friend but not when you are in a position to give strong opinions and create a bit of controversy.

Adam Cooney is possibly the worst ex-player analyst in media. His 'I was lazy, and I drank a lot and stayed up late' routine might be great for a sportsman's night at Orbost Pub but not when you are supposed to be giving a professional insight to a game that you played for 12 years and achieved football's highest individual accolade along the way. But once again, seems to be a favourite amongst the powers that be.

Lyon offers good opinions but his ego and refusal to hear other people's opinions (not only on SEN but Fox as well) belong on Triple M with the boys club. Because let's be honest, if it wasn't for the boys club, he probably wouldn't have a job given the choices he has made off air.

Bartlett was the heart and soul of SEN and they will probably replace him with another vanila Heverin type, like Sam Hargreaves, mainly because they are cheap and tow the company line.

We will all continue to listen because we want a constant feed of footy in our lives and there isn't really a viable alternative if you don't have digital radio. However if something else was to come along you get the feeling a lot of people would make the switch.

Is the indomitable gideon haigh on sen anymore?

I also miss Geoff Poulter. Ok, he is a bit of a nutter, but those evening shows with Finey, Zanners, Milney and Poults is what I miss most about the old SEN. And callers like Sam from Fitzroy with his Fitzroy FC reunion updates and providing the correct pronunciations of Italian words.
The new SEN doesn't resonate with those who value Melbourne's sporting legacy. Getting rid of KB doesn't help either.

I also miss Geoff Poulter. Ok, he is a bit of a nutter, but those evening shows with Finey, Zanners, Milney and Poults is what I miss most about the old SEN. And callers like Sam from Fitzroy with his Fitzroy FC reunion updates and providing the correct pronunciations of Italian words.
The new SEN doesn't resonate with those who value Melbourne's sporting legacy. Getting rid of KB doesn't help either.

I doubt he'd move, but getting Tony Leonard to host the afternoon or afternoon drive slot would go some way in retrieving the essence of what's missing.

Evenings with the Coudabeens would be ideal.
Followed by Darren Parkin at midnight.

Considering the amount of 'comedic sporting podcasts' now around, I'm surprised SEN haven't investigated/invested some time and effort to trying something new, especially for evenings. Even if they fail, what do you lose? You might actually find another generation's Coodabeens on the cheap.

Considering the amount of 'comedic sporting podcasts' now around, I'm surprised SEN haven't investigated/invested some time and effort to trying something new, especially for evenings. Even if they fail, what do you lose? You might actually find another generation's Coodabeens on the cheap.

not a bad idea!

roy and hg on MSR was very good this morning

In: Heverin
Out: Finey

Whilst this was not a direct swap/move it just encapsulates all that has been wrong with a lot of the moves.

I mean you listen to that RoCo Finey podcast posted just a page back and that’s the kind on discussion we want not this Heverin/ McClure/ Dal Santo/ Cooney type rubbish. People want substance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back