Radio 1116 SEN 2024 Line-up

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite all that has gone on in the past 12-18 months, when he's in a serious role I quite enjoy Gary Lyon. I didn't mind this morning to be honest, I think I could get used to it.

Lyon was solid as I said. Watson is bearable, in fact actually okay if they talk anything non-Essendon. McLaughlin is very meh, I really don't like the bloke and I feel there's a fair conflict of interest when it comes to discussing anything to do with the AFL commission, but from what I heard today he took a bit of a backseat on the discussions/questions and stuck mostly to hosting, which is okay with me. I think it's definitely an improvement on Frank and Ox or the two Andy's. Ox is loveable and he and Leach had good chemistry but the show just didn't seem to fit for a breakfast show. Too many dumb moments and too much try-to-be-funny segments. It might just be me but I think the morning show should be the most serious sport/footy discussion show. Ox and Marko as the jovial, light-hearted drive home show makes more sense, and suits their personalities.

One thing that I did see as an issue, though, was with Sheehan and McClure on at the same time it meant you had 5 blokes all trying to get their say in. Seemed a bit much for me.

On the rest of the SEN panel, as I said I actually enjoy Marko and the Ox. When you stop taking them seriously and can look past Marko's embarrassing knowledge of any sport other than golf, they're quite funny to listen to on the way home from work.

KB sh*ts me to tears. His opinions are washed-up and way, way outdated, and for someone who has a different segment/s for a lot of sports (basketball, soccer, rugby league etc.) he really knows nothing about any sport other than Footy, Golf and Horse Racing. I thoroughly enjoyed Rohan Conolly having the 9am slot over KB, even as a fill in, over summer. The only time I enjoy him is when Turfy is on.

Haven't listened to Leach on his own yet so will reserve judgement. Don't think he'll be as good as Harf but surely more bearable than Maher.

I don't mind Finey, to be honest. He's very witty, can be very funny on occasions and certainly doesn't hold back his opinion or sit on the fence, which a lot of media presenters do do. Don't always agree with him but I'll take that over a fence-sitter any day. I enjoy the Thursday night lineup with League teams, Bush and the burbs and selection dissection. I don't listen to Finey a lot, though.

Didn't mind it TBH.

McLaughlin is a prat but he makes a decent radio host, wWatson is bareable despite the Essendon bias because at least your listening to someone semi coherent compared to Schwarze, Lyon has always been decent.
Same actually, maybe it was because they were back to some footy talk and all. Also dont mind Hame, sure hes annoying at times but generally he dosent fuss me too much.

And tomorrow you get to hear about Gary's hard year.
36_20_7.gif~c200

KB is terrible, I can't believe people think he is remotely good.

Looking forward to seeing how the new breakfast show goes!

If KB was not at SEN they would be quickly spiraling out of control. He has been their rock since they started.
They have fallen for the old three card trick of believing that if they throw money at personalities it will bring in the ratings.
Gary Lyon sounded like he had been on a bender all weekend. His voice was raspy and frankly didn't seem interested. Mike Sheahan was his interesting best. Like or hate him, you enjoy listening to him. Hamish.....well he is a big noter isn't he? Property in Mornington, owns horses, just can't help himself. Private school prat. He will grate on people. Tim Watson.....hmm. One minute he doesn't want to do breakfast then he reappears. Just highlights that money speaks all languages.

1 : Ross & John on 3AW Kings of breakfast radio. Jonathan Brown, Sam Pang & Chrissie Swan are not to bad on FM.
2: KB is king, and his knowledge of all sports, memory and passion makes him great to listen to. A lot of people just cannot differentiate when he is tongue is firmly placed in his cheek.
3: Francis Leach has had his dream come true. An open microphone that he does not have to share with anyone, and he can talk non stop. To use a racing parlance.....Prefer others.
4:Afternoon needs more work. Can't put my finger on it yet. Possibly get another one in there to take some pressure of Marko. His lack of general sporting knowledge stands out. Ox gets caught out a number of times as well, and when they are both stuffing it up, it is not good radio. Still better than Tom Elliott who only cares that he pays too much in taxes, and that he was not born with a silver spoon in his Carey Grammar educated mouth. Oh... and he also owns a house in Flinders. Good old working class Canterbury boy.
5: Fine, not interested. By the time he comes on, just happy to listen to some music.
Just wonder how long before SEN realise they need Harf back.

If KB was not at SEN they would be quickly spiraling out of control. He has been their rock since they started.
They have fallen for the old three card trick of believing that if they throw money at personalities it will bring in the ratings.
Gary Lyon sounded like he had been on a bender all weekend. His voice was raspy and frankly didn't seem interested. Mike Sheahan was his interesting best. Like or hate him, you enjoy listening to him. Hamish.....well he is a big noter isn't he? Property in Mornington, owns horses, just can't help himself. Private school prat. He will grate on people. Tim Watson.....hmm. One minute he doesn't want to do breakfast then he reappears. Just highlights that money speaks all languages.

1 : Ross & John on 3AW Kings of breakfast radio. Jonathan Brown, Sam Pang & Chrissie Swan are not to bad on FM.
2: KB is king, and his knowledge of all sports, memory and passion makes him great to listen to. A lot of people just cannot differentiate when he is tongue is firmly placed in his cheek.
3: Francis Leach has had his dream come true. An open microphone that he does not have to share with anyone, and he can talk non stop. To use a racing parlance.....Prefer others.
4:Afternoon needs more work. Can't put my finger on it yet. Possibly get another one in there to take some pressure of Marko. His lack of general sporting knowledge stands out. Ox gets caught out a number of times as well, and when they are both stuffing it up, it is not good radio. Still better than Tom Elliott who only cares that he pays too much in taxes, and that he was not born with a silver spoon in his Carey Grammar educated mouth. Oh... and he also owns a house in Flinders. Good old working class Canterbury boy.
5: Fine, not interested. By the time he comes on, just happy to listen to some music.
Just wonder how long before SEN realise they need Harf back.

watson left because he wanted to concentrate on ch 7 news. :huh:. Of course nothing to do with his compromised position as jobes father at the time. :D

elliott? listening to him makes people angry. angry people call up and complain about muslims, immigrants, labor party, PC, lefties, soccer thugs. rinse and repeat.

watson left because he wanted to concentrate on ch 7 news. :huh:. Of course nothing to do with his compromised position as jobes father at the time. :D

elliott? listening to him makes people angry. angry people call up and complain about muslims, immigrants, labor party, PC, lefties, soccer thugs. rinse and repeat.
......and a Monarchist. He enjoys nothing more than kissing the Royal's backside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson's the wittiest guy on SEN...and that's saying something.

As for Lyon's interview with Sheahan...happy to listen to Lyon hosting the show, but who gives a **** about his personal issues? He should keep that to himself, not use it for ratings.

Sheahan ******* useless anyway, he knows nothing, he's just a footy punter like the rest of us. Could never even discuss major off field issues during his time as Chief football writer. How useless is that?

The whole football industry is one big inbred, incestuous ,buddy buddy industry. People who speak out are shunned, that's why you get these lightweights on crap radio shows.

I listened to a bit of it today and enjoyed it. They'll be useless when not talking footy but SEN totally ignores non-footy from Feb to Oct so that won't matter.

I know he has his detractors I've always enjoyed Lyon as a footy commentator/analyst. He's been good value on Footy Classified and was missed last year and should do well this year - that he admitted he hadn't watched much footy for long periods of last year is a bit of a concern. The funny thing about Mike Sheahan is that I never really rated him as a newspaper columnist but always thought he worked better on radio; is good at challenging others opinions and initiating interesting discussion in that format. Good addition.

Watson is pretty meh but will be better with Lyon (and Sheahan) than he was with Schwarz & Leach. Hamish is the weak spot, adds very little except fake charm and his sycophancy towards Sheahan today was embarrassing.

Re: Lyon being interviewed about his personal life tomorrow, I guess SEN are doing that for ratings and that may work but I think it's a bit of a mistake from a broader perspective; probably should be on Open Mike.

Seriously, they could not find room for a single woman?

Usual SEN crap where the on air "talent" is a bigger story than anything happening outside their own 4 walls. They're all cracking blokes who love to rough and tumble with each other and somehow think that the rest of the world is interested in their blokey little world.

The only surprising thing is that there are men out there that actually listen to them.

around 24 hours ago i read some comments on the sen fb page. essentially the page laid out to bare what the schedule was. footy, footy, essendon coach, mike etc.

one commentor asked "so the morning after the final, no tennis? the reply? "we've been talking about the tennis for the past 2 weeks!"

Watson's the wittiest guy on SEN...and that's saying something.

As for Lyon's interview with Sheahan...happy to listen to Lyon hosting the show, but who gives a **** about his personal issues? He should keep that to himself, not use it for ratings.

Sheahan ******* useless anyway, he knows nothing, he's just a footy punter like the rest of us. Could never even discuss major off field issues during his time as Chief football writer. How useless is that?

The whole football industry is one big inbred, incestuous ,buddy buddy industry. People who speak out are shunned, that's why you get these lightweights on crap radio shows.

You are spot on, however some stations cannot afford to pay millions to established stars. Browny is kicking goals at NOVA, and Harf got his start at SEN when the station was irrelevant, and now he is an experienced and respected radio head. You have to give new talent a chance to emerge, which keeps the rest honest. There are some very good people doing local community shows who never got a chance to show their wares in mainstream radio.

SEN are probably paying Lyon him decent coin, so they are going to want to milk it for everything. Unfortunately when you work in the public domain, you become public property to an extent. Lyon is dipping his toe in the water to see if he can handle the attention and stress that this show will attract to him. Who knows he may just walk away after a few months if he doesn't feel right. The elephant in the room is the whole Bill Brownless issue from last year. He never publicly responded, so people are naturally curious.

Interestingly the Herald Sun reported back in November that Hird and Lyon were going to team up on SEN. Management balked believing having both at the station was a risk. They got that one right.

You are spot on, however some stations cannot afford to pay millions to established stars. Browny is kicking goals at NOVA, and Harf got his start at SEN when the station was irrelevant, and now he is an experienced and respected radio head. You have to give new talent a chance to emerge, which keeps the rest honest. There are some very good people doing local community shows who never got a chance to show their wares in mainstream radio.

SEN are probably paying Lyon him decent coin, so they are going to want to milk it for everything. Unfortunately when you work in the public domain, you become public property to an extent. Lyon is dipping his toe in the water to see if he can handle the attention and stress that this show will attract to him. Who knows he may just walk away after a few months if he doesn't feel right. The elephant in the room is the whole Bill Brownless issue from last year. He never publicly responded, so people are naturally curious.

Interestingly the Herald Sun reported back in November that Hird and Lyon were going to team up on SEN. Management balked believing having both at the station was a risk. They got that one right.

the topic of billy was touched upon. billy didnt respond to his text(s).
doesnt like the public life, embarrassed about being in the social pages.
tough listening to him talk about his sons and ex wife. He said it was private and his business, and fair enough too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back