Player Watch #12: David Astbury - Has decided to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m thinking more that big Dave could go forward in Lynch’s absence
I’m not so sure mate, I think it’s important to get together some continuity so close to finals. I’d be playing him down back.

I’d give Caddy and Chol the opportunity to play forward.

I’m not so sure mate, I think it’s important to get together some continuity so close to finals. I’d be playing him down back.

I’d give Caddy and Chol the opportunity to play forward.

How does he fit back with

Grimes
Vlastuin
Balta
Houli
Baker
Short

Markov is lightening would be an unusual replacement to add Astbury in his place?

How does he fit back with

Grimes
Vlastuin
Balta
Houli
Baker
Short

Markov is lightening would be an unusual replacement to add Astbury in his place?
I’d imagine Astbury would come in for Markov, it would certainly be stiff on Oleg as he’s been playing some wonderful football but I think the coaching staff would prefer the size and experience of Astbury.

I feel we would be well balanced with the following defensive structure:

Talls: Balta & Astbury
Versatile/midsized: Grimes & Vlastuin
Small: Short, Baker and Houli.

Considering we will often have seven defenders on the ground at once, you could argue we would very easily fit another defender into that lineup.

I’d imagine Astbury would come in for Markov, it would certainly be stiff on Oleg as he’s been playing some wonderful football but I think the coaching staff would prefer the size and experience of Astbury.

I feel we would be well balanced with the following defensive structure:

Talls: Balta & Astbury
Versatile/midsized: Grimes & Vlastuin
Small: Short, Baker and Houli.

Considering we will often have seven defenders on the ground at once, you could argue we would very easily fit another defender into that lineup.

It would be a significant change of sryle to go from one of the quickest guys in the league to a big slow defender in Dave

One of the highlights of richmond tonight was the speed. Flair. Transition. Attacking from very deep etc.

With the Lynch and soldo situation forward or even ruck(?) Seems to make some sense

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be a significant change of sryle to go from one of the quickest guys in the league to a big slow defender in Dave

One of the highlights of richmond tonight was the speed. Flair. Transition. Attacking from very deep etc.

With the Lynch and soldo situation forward or even ruck(?) Seems to make some sense
Hopefully Lynch only misses the one game so that only gives him one match to play forward, that would be there’s no spot for him in the finals.

I also don’t believe there’s any way he could play in the ruck, it would put him at a massive risk of injury, there’d also be some serious questions asked on his speed, endurance and leap to actually use him as a ruckman.

I personally would play Astbury in the backline or not at all.

cant wait for the return of snarling dave 😍

we have enough of that without markov imho, he hasn't played poorly but he doesn't push out baker/houli/short/vlastuin.

markov had 11 touches for 111m gained which was only more metres gained than soldo who played 24% tog, so I get that he's quick and can attack, but imagine having astbury and balta to take the 2 tallest fwds, and then grimes in to play on the fwds that markov has been playing on, or the most dangerous medium/small fwd. will have performances like tonight on the regular.

cant wait for the return of snarling dave 😍

we have enough of that without markov imho, he hasn't played poorly but he doesn't push out baker/houli/short/vlastuin.

markov had 11 touches for 111m gained which was only more metres gained than soldo who played 24% tog, so I get that he's quick and can attack, but imagine having astbury and balta to take the 2 tallest fwds, and then grimes in to play on the fwds that markov has been playing on, or the most dangerous medium/small fwd. will have performances like tonight on the regular.

I like Markov. He is growing and is more solid in the past. He has a lot of versatility and I think helps our defensive setup to. Its not all about possessions. I think he adds more than people think and helps our transition into the forward line making us more potent when we do go forward. His effect is underated

I'd bring Chol in for Soldo, move Markov forward as the 2nd target, switch Short or Baker to Markov's role, and bring Dave in to the backline to gel ready for finals. As much as I love Caddy I think Markov deserves to keep his spot in the team as the 2nd forward switching with Chol.
Just to fine tune it. Chol for Lynch. Nank to do big minutes in the ruck. Chol as backup ruck only. I wanna see Chol on the field for a whole game. JR and Chol as KPF.
Markov out of the backline for Astbury and up the fwd line with Sheds who comes in for Aarts.
If Lynch isn't ready finals week one and Chol has spudded it up, Caddy straight IN. I'm more confident Caddy could come back to replace someone.

Let's be honest, we're talking about the last spot on the bench. It will be a matter of matchups - do we need the genuine tall (Astbury) or pinch-hitting tall (Broad).

Given his proven fitness, I prefer two-time premiership player Broad over two-time premiership player Astbury.

Be great for big Dave to get some run into his legs pre finals. Against cats and port in finals he’ll a huge in against their tall forwards. Looking forward to having him back.
This is spot on. Historically we have always played three talls two genuine KPP'S when fit !!!! and a third tall who can play tall or small.
In 2017 we actually played four genuine talls in Astbury kpd 195cm, Rance kpd 194cm, Grimes third tall/sml 193cm. Broad third tall/sml 192cm.

To my way of thinking with Astbury finally fit with Balta actually taking on Rances role as a kpd we have moved back to our 2017 set up which is ideal, its a set up that doesnt leave us exposed to oppo talls getting hold of us which really has happened in the past.

Even in 2019 we had Dave 195 and big bodied. Grimes 193 and Broad 192cm both being lighter bodied so we had plenty of height. The difference with Balta and Astbury playing kp, we have the size to go with the height, freeing Grimes up to play on either a tall or a small depending on what is giving us problems.We also had Nankervis dropping back to help out when needed as well.

My hope is a fantastically gifted 196cm athlete like Nyuon can step up and partner Balta as a genuine kpd over the next few seasons.
If the crystal ball works as one hopes it does then a back half structure of Balta, Nyuon, Grimes and Vlastuin would be great.
Dave astbury is 30 next yr and Rance will be off the list we need to be looking fwd a bit here.

This is spot on. Historically we have always played three talls two genuine KPP'S when fit !!!! and a third tall who can play tall or small.
In 2017 we actually played four genuine talls in Astbury kpd 195cm, Rance kpd 194cm, Grimes third tall/sml 193cm. Broad third tall/sml 192cm.

To my way of thinking with Astbury finally fit with Balta actually taking on Rances role as a kpd we have moved back to our 2017 set up which is ideal, its a set up that doesnt leave us exposed to oppo talls getting hold of us which really has happened in the past.

Even in 2019 we had Dave 195 and big bodied. Grimes 193 and Broad 192cm both being lighter bodied so we had plenty of height. The difference with Balta and Astbury playing kp, we have the size to go with the height, freeing Grimes up to play on either a tall or a small depending on what is giving us problems.We also had Nankervis dropping back to help out when needed as well.

My hope is a fantastically gifted 196cm athlete like Nyuon can step up and partner Balta as a genuine kpd over the next few seasons.
If the crystal ball works as one hopes it does then a back half structure of Balta, Nyuon, Grimes and Vlastuin would be great.
Dave astbury is 30 next yr and Rance will be off the list we need to be looking fwd a bit here.

Nice post Mopsy.....but I think you are wanted with the newfound positive attitude over on the Dan Rioli thread. 😂😂

Miller also is a mobile athlete who hopefully will be there next year. Emergency twice now, so not far off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back