#14 Michael Hibberd – retired. Thank you Pig ❤️

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly has been an unexpected career revival. Would be a great player for Rivers to learn off too, love hibbos desperation and attack on the footy.

Speaks volumes of his mental toughness after his brothers death. Could have easily packed it in and withered away to the end of his contract with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's like a beautiful relic from the footballing past.

He's called Pig and he's maybe one of the worst runners at the club, yet is just sick at footy.

Perfect addition to the back 6 with time catching up to Nev. Doesn't have to do all the rebounding that he used to now we have Salem and Rivers. Can just concentrate on beating his man with his insane intensity.

13 games off having more matches in red and blue than red and black. Should get to 100 next year too.

Honestly, besides one poor season, he's been an outstanding recruit. Every bit as good as Bernie Vince and Clint Bizzell IMO. Hard seeing any other club bringing in better recruits than us last few years tbh. Hibberd, Melksham, Lever, May, Tomlinson, Langdon. Even Mitch Brown has been very serviceable when asked upon. Harley didn't work out, but our recruiting in recent years has been the best it's ever been in my lifetime tbh.

He's like a beautiful relic from the footballing past.

He's called Pig and he's maybe one of the worst runners at the club, yet is just sick at footy.

Perfect addition to the back 6 with time catching up to Nev. Doesn't have to do all the rebounding that he used to now we have Salem and Rivers. Can just concentrate on beating his man with his insane intensity.
I remember that one peanut who I have on block who kept saying we got robbed at the trade table and I kept saying mate, hibberds really good. We got a steal.

I still don’t understand why no one has tried to put some body on Dusty in finals before.
It seems folks are a bit in awe of him and assume he can't be tagged, or that they can beat the Tigers across the park without the need for a dedicated tag. I think tagging every week can be unnecessary but in a big game it's probably worth having one player give up their game to reduce his impact, even if it's just for a half. If Geelong put someone on him in the first half of the GF last year they probably win. He almost single handedly kept Richmond in it to HT.

On the weekend if he wasn't hurt and finished up with 15-20 odd touches, that's well down from what he's capable of and makes the Tigers biggest weapon less dangerous.

It seems folks are a bit in awe of him and assume he can't be tagged, or that they can beat the Tigers across the park without the need for a dedicated tag. I think tagging every week can be unnecessary but in a big game it's probably worth having one player give up their game to reduce his impact, even if it's just for a half. If Geelong put someone on him in the first half of the GF last year they probably win. He almost single handedly kept Richmond in it to HT.

On the weekend if he wasn't hurt and finished up with 15-20 odd touches, that's well down from what he's capable of and makes the Tigers biggest weapon less dangerous.
It’s not even about the tag, just the physicality. He had no rhythm on Saturday night and so couldn’t get going at all, and wasn’t able to cheat forward on the rare occasions after the first 15 minutes that the Tigers did get any forward thrust and so they didn’t get any of his brilliance forward of centre. I’m sure coaches have had a reason, but I still think it’s weird.

Only bloke that has had any success tagging Dusty is deBoer - and he used to wear him like a glove and wasn't afraid to niggle.

Also quite bemused no team has really gone the knuckle on the Tiges. They're full of tough, brave sinewy players, but aren't physically intimidating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back