Senior 14. Orazio Fantasia

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious question because I reckon I’ve seen about 5 minutes of him in 5 years.

Let’s assume he gets and stays fit and gets back to something approaching his best. Is he really a better option than what we have?
If he is fit, and somewhere near his best, he is absolutely in our side and better than the other small forwards we have. Although, Motlop for sure has potential, but hasn't shown consistency yet.

Let’s assume he gets and stays fit and gets back to something approaching his best. Is he really a better option than what we have?
At his best he is soooooo far ahead of what Mots, Owies and Durdin can provide. Our smalls aren’t bad but Orazio is very good.

He played 4 games in two years at Port, but between 2016-2019 at Essendon he averaged 1.5, 1.9, 1.5 and 1.3 goals a game and in 2021 he averaged 1.9 goals a game at Port, the only year he got a decent run at it.

If he stays on the park - granted, he's averaged 11 matches a year, having never played a full 23 round season - he's a great in. In his best years, averaged either above or around 4 tackles a game and between 10 and 15 disposals. Only slight I'd have on his game is his low goal assist (below 1 a game) indicates he takes the shot more than he might otherwise, but that is only an issue if he misses them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on his injury record do we get him to just play the last four games of the year:

• Round 24 (is it still 24 given we are using a zero based numbering system)
  • Qualifying final
  • Preliminary final
  • Grand Final

Really like this recruiting by the club.
  • Costs us nothing but a list spot in an area of opportunity for improvement
  • Has shown A-grade ability
  • Still has the hunger and young enough to get back to his best
  • Russell had a great year with our injured players in 2023 so I'm confident is the man for the job
  • Could become the type of forward we tried to turn Fish into but couldn't
  • Will light a fire under our trio of Mots, Durds and Owies to provide more competition and - ultimately - performance in an area of the ground (small forward) we haven't had a star in since Eddie (before he left for SA)
Welcome aboard, Raz. May you find your feet and get your career and football legacy back on track after an unfortunate few years for Port. Would love for us to help another ex-* player become a star for us.

Helps having Saady on deck to help him connect to the group quickly. Big off-season and I hope it'll help bring more goals in our front half working with JR (Jordan Russell) as the new line coach.

Our forward line has been the most inconsistent area for years so if we can get that humming with some fresh blood... the competition is ours to dominate.

If he can stay fit and his injuries haven't hampered his abilities (and those are obviously huge ifs - which is why he was free) then it's honestly not even close.

I have a * supporting mate who hates Carlton and knows Orazio's abilities very well. He also saw what AR did this year with getting/keeping Marchbank/Cuningham/McGovern on the field. Let's just say he was absolutely seething with this news. :)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back