Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Came across this from trove for the 1938 season recently, and we have no idea who the character in the bottom left is supposed to represent. Essendon, North and Hawthorn aren't represented....

Anyone have any good theories?

This is mark genge's theory

My theory is that the mascot that appears to be a Mexican is probably in relation to what was happening in Mexico at the time.

A basic description of what happened …

In the years leading up to 1938 the petroleum workers demanded better working conditions from the foreign-owned petroleum companies in Mexico. The companies refused the demands. The case went to arbitration who said the companies had to pay the demands. The companies took the case to the Federal Court who agreed with the arbitration decision. The companies again refused and this led to the Mexican President, on March 18, 1938, declaring that all petroleum products found within Mexico belong to the country and they set up their own national petroleum company (the VFL season began one month later). The oil companies protested and encouraged people not to buy Mexican goods and many foreign governments refused to buy Mexican oil (However, World War 2 came along which guaranteed a European market for Mexican oil and Mexico became a successful oil exporter).

Here’s a couple of references in the paper:

Britain will take legal action on the Mexican Government …

22/3/1938

Britain won’t use Mexician oil …

2/5/1938

So I assume the cartoon shows a Mexican trying to ‘claim’ the 1938 premiership alongside some of the club mascots. IMG_20200214_170215_462.jpeg

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems like a cockatoo there that maybe meant to be a Hawk but in 1938 Hawks known as Mayblooms so weird. Maybe in 1938 still a minor nickname some tried to attribute for Carlton as Cockatoo's that never stuck?

I wonder if the 'mexican' is supposed to represent Essendon, who were known as 'The Dons' around that period. Don is used for Mr or Sir in Mexican culture.

Or it could be a butcher (striped apron, see) - a Shinboner.

It doesn't seem to fit the Hawks (Mayblooms) in any way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back