Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC

Remove this Banner Ad

How would this forward line go?

Garner Larkey Ziebell
Zurharr Brown Turner

Wood playing more on the wing, with Simpkin and Anderson also dangerous drifting forward.

Seems fine to me. Would love another player with serious sprint speed in the team ala Hartung, but plays more forwardish.

Atley on the bench.

He lines up everything straight, keeps aiming the football at his desired target, guides the ball down on to his foot, kicks with a straight leg and follows through.

Result: Straight over the goal umpires head.

This kid is eventually going to be a very good AFL forward.

And can have an impact when the ball hits the deck.

Will be at worst a handy AFL KPF.

Dish mkII is developing nicely. Still has matured physically so there is a s**t tonne of upside.

Equal 4th in the Frosty Miller medal. 4 goals behind the leader.

Just needs some more muscle. Everything else is in place.

Just needs some more muscle. Everything else is in place.

The competition is going to hate us.

Fancy drafting a coleman medalist and AA FF with pick #47, then what looks every bit a very very good young forward prospect with pick #73.

You only have to compare Larkey with the likes of Schache, Weiderman, McCartin, Boyd, H.McKay, Francis etc playing in the VFL to see how well he is going.

Considering his build at the moment, you could argue he has the most upside of every single one of them.

Has a great forward craft and great lead/kick for goal
Will replace Waite next year.
Waite has to retire

1) He may take another two years to get enough size. He's currently 93 kgs and is getting rag dolled in the VFL.
2) Waite is currently half of the most potent KPF double in the AFL.
3) What is this bizarre urgency with promoting promising youngsters?

1) He may take another two years to get enough size. He's currently 93 kgs and is getting rag dolled in the VFL.
I am with you Snake, let him develop naturally. Still has a teenager's body. I am beginning to have high hopes for this kid. He is a natural footballer with all the smarts and a beautiful kick. The comparisons to Dish stop at his physique on that front. Once he hits around the 100kg mark look out.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the afl he can get on his bike and will get better passes.

Waite is as sturdy as aeroplane jelly.

In the afl he can get on his bike and will get better passes.

In the AFL he will face far greater structural challenges and get rag dolled even worse.

Waite is as sturdy as aeroplane jelly.

I struggle to see the logic how a bloke that has played 8 out of 9 games for 19 goals is somehow shaky, but a 93 kg 19 year old KPF is the better option.

Is he better than Waite at the moment? I would imagine Waite would kick one or two in the VFL! Larkey is going well, in time he will get his chance.

Waite would currently have 35 goals and 50-60 marks in the VFL!

I hope the club keep he & Thommo on when they finally retire, to play with our VFL kids.

His output in senior games last year showed the gulf between leagues for a KPF.

I'm with Tef on this one let him keep developing. Not like being a young mid who can be protected within a larger onfield contingent.

Next time Nick appears in the seniors hopefully he'll be ready to make a statement.

His output in senior games last year showed the gulf between leagues for a KPF.

I'm with Tef on this one let him keep developing. Not like being a young mid who can be protected within a larger onfield contingent.

Next time Nick appears in the seniors hopefully he'll be ready to make a statement.

Folks need to remember that Ben Brown did not debut until he was two years older than Nick is right now.

This kid himself mentioned his lack of strength at the moment in his post match interview yesterday, which shows he is realistic about things at the moment. It's natural class that separates him at VFL level.

The same urgency that wants him promoted will also sink the kid in the eyes of those that don't have patience, and all because he wasn't physically developed enough to make the next step.

Next year AT LEAST for Nick. Just have patience. I'm very bullish about him paying off in the long run.

Last edited:
He's put on at least 5-10 kg's since last year.

He will be a unit by the time he's 23.

With McKay and Larkey/Brown/Wood.

We can literally draft midfielders/x factor forwards with first rounders for the next 5 years.

Dish mkII is developing nicely. Still has matured physically so there is a s**t tonne of upside.

Equal 4th in the Frosty Miller medal. 4 goals behind the leader.

He's got way more lateral movement than Dish, i really dont see the comparison other than the number on their backs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back