#20 (prev #45) James Peatling (Pick 8, 2021 Mid Season Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Welcome James, to an AFL list! We will love you as a western Sydney junior.

James Peatling pic.PNG

GIANTS General Manager Football Jason McCartney said it’s another significant signing for the growth of the game in Western Sydney. “We’re delighted to add James to the list as he thoroughly deserves this opportunity,” said McCartney. “He’s a great story having come through our Western Sydney Academy and performing well at representative level over a number of years. He’s a line breaking half back with speed and agility and we love how hard he is at the contest. After plenty of hard work over the years, James finally gets his chance to be on an AFL list and I’m sure he’ll do everything he can to make the most of the opportunity.”

Peatling is the latest Sydney product to join the GIANTS with Kieren Briggs (Pennant Hills), Nick Shipley (Campbelltown), Jake Stein (Penrith) and UNSW / ES’s Jack Buckley already on the list. Peatling will join his new teammates when they return to training following their mid-season break on Friday.

Proof the Giants NSW/ACT football machine is producing more and more local talent.

In the decade ahead we’ll cease drafting interstate players altogether as the quality and volume of homegrown NSW/ACT players will more than meet our needs.

Congratulations and welcome James!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

if I could be bothered (I’m not) I would trawl through my previous posts dating back a couple of years, and find a number of them to [insert here] saying we should at least rookie Peatling (or the posts saying I was disappointed we didn’t)

reward for effort and perseverance.

welcome James. Hope it goes well for you.

👍👍👍👍

if I could be bothered (I’m not) I would trawl through my previous posts dating back a couple of years, and find a number of them to [insert here] saying we should at least rookie Peatling (or the posts saying I was disappointed we didn’t)

reward for effort and perseverance.

welcome James. Hope it goes well for you.

👍👍👍👍
How old is he, what league has he been playing in (2018 and 2019)

How old is he, what league has he been playing in (2018 and 2019)

born August 2000 so not far off 21

played 24 NEAFL games for us across 2018/2019 (which is a couple more than Jack Buckley did over the same period) as well as a handful of Academy games as an over-ager

comes from Pennant Hills so I assume that’s where he’s plied his trade beyond that, though I don’t know for sure.

Proof the Giants NSW/ACT football machine is producing more and more local talent.

In the decade ahead we’ll cease drafting interstate players altogether as the quality and volume of homegrown NSW/ACT players will more than meet our needs.

Congratulations and welcome James!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think talent coming out of NSW/ACT is a wonderful thing

But another perspective is that by having out-of-state players at our footy club they form a small tight-knit community because they don't know many people in Sydney outside of the playing group. Probably more important during these earlier, formative years than later on down the track when we're an established club though.

Straight out of the Penno footy factory... not sure he will get a game this year but has some good traits

Is that pretty much it for Josh Green?

this question asked in a thread about a 21 year old with a 3 year+ association with the club playing reserves and doing what he could to eventually be given a shot, I wouldn’t have thought so.

quite the opposite in fact.

I think he should get a rookie spot, he is one of our better non-listed players and like Tom does seem to have the potential to play a number of roles.
Josh's best hope is as a defender or forward, doesn't have any POD in the midfield to differentiate himself from most tall mids in the VFL let alone the next level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although Peatling does not address the immediate needs of a tall defender the club must have seen enough to think they would pick him up at the end of the year and I am hoping he can continue developing and with the benefit of being in the professional environment full time hopefully he makes it
I think a debut this year will be a stretch but with a strong off season he could be pushing early next year

And that nobody picked up Green indicates he still has development to go and this is his over age year so he still has time to develop and hopefully a strong 2nd half of the year and depending on how the comps go (I think he is still eligible for the Allies) he could impress enough for the club or another to pick him up

Although Peatling does not address the immediate needs of a tall defender the club must have seen enough

this year he‘s been playing a bit of a buntine type role and is, himself, a bit of a buntine type size

i’d be playing him this week to fill the buntine sized hole that’s been in our backline this year.

How's he tracking? He seems to be able to get enough of the ball and reports say he uses it well. Is he an attacking half back option at AFL level or more a lock down defender?

How's he tracking? He seems to be able to get enough of the ball and reports say he uses it well. Is he an attacking half back option at AFL level or more a lock down defender?
attacking half back given he's played most of his NEAFL over the last few years as a wing/forward flanker. It's really only been this year he's gone down back.

tracking nicely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back