2009 AFL Field Umpires (Trialling)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2009 AFL Field Umpires (Trailling)

corey bowen and sam hay will trial from SA. both trialled last year too. i reckon bowen will get on for sure.

agree, apparently Corey Bowen was close this year and only his state league coach held him back.

If Jennings gets through the time trials he is an absolute certainty to make the list. Findlay and Pannell wont have any trouble getting on.
Leaves one spot for either Bowen, McCarthy or Statham.

If Jennings gets through the time trials he is an absolute certainty to make the list. Findlay and Pannell wont have any trouble getting on.
Leaves one spot for either Bowen, McCarthy or Statham.

I'm tipping only one Fluro Orange umpire graduating to the AFL this year. The only certainty I would say is Panell who has been umpiring the house down.

Also if you're trying to get onto the AFL list you shouldn't be "getting through" the time trials you should be absolutely smashing the benchmarks.

Here's my Pre Time Trial tips:

Senior List:
Troy Panell (VIC)
Gavin Statham (WA)
Corey Bowen (SA)
and my smokey because everyone loves an underdog
Ben Ryan (QLD)

Rookie List:
Sam Hay (SA)
Michael Jennings (VIC)
Robert Findlay (VIC)
Jeff Dalgliesh (WA)

Unlucky:
Stuart Parry (WA)
Troy McCarthy (VIC)
Matt Gestier (NSW) - who I'm hearing big things about but not up to AFL standard yet. Stay tuned.

I'm tipping only one Fluro Orange umpire graduating to the AFL this year. The only certainty I would say is Panell who has been umpiring the house down.

Also if you're trying to get onto the AFL list you shouldn't be "getting through" the time trials you should be absolutely smashing the benchmarks.

Here's my Pre Time Trial tips:

Senior List:
Troy Panell (VIC)
Gavin Statham (WA)
Corey Bowen (SA)
and my smokey because everyone loves an underdog
Ben Ryan (QLD)

Rookie List:
Sam Hay (SA)
Michael Jennings (VIC)
Robert Findlay (VIC)
Jeff Dalgliesh (WA)

Unlucky:
Stuart Parry (WA)
Troy McCarthy (VIC)
Matt Gestier (NSW) - who I'm hearing big things about but not up to AFL standard yet. Stay tuned.

Sounds like a good call all round. Pannell has had a go in there and they wanted changes, what I don't know because he is an excellent ump.
Jennings I have personally trained with and he has a fantastic work ethic, but has had two or three goes now and the AFL guys may have lost faith, but good luck to him, I hope he gets there.Don't know anything about the SA, WA blokes but I know Robert Finlay trains very solidly too. Has never been around the mark from what I can tell, but can do the job so maybe this year he knuckled right down. Has done a lot of great things for the VFLUA. Matt Gestier, your call is spot on. Has done many things, but has he got the AFL standard in him??? Has had injuries which have slowed this process down for him and being the first ALL NSW (NOT ACT WITH RAY CHAMBERLAIN) born and bred ump and now I live up here, I support him 110%.

The only certainty though IMO on pure ability alone is Troy Pannell. Good luck mate, you should already still be there but the circumstances left you high and dry and you worked hard to get back in.

So Panell screws his chance at the big stage few years ago, but now he's trailing for it again?

I think we've all seen him Umpire he's not up to AFl level!
Waste of time. Give someone else a crack!

I think there is always room for self improvement no matter what stage your are in your career. Whether it be umpiring, playing, coaching or whatever role you have at work, you can always be better.

After watching Pannell run in the VFL Grand Final, it's obvious that he has worked on his weaknesses and come back a determined umpire wanting another chance. He at least deserves to be looked at.

Not every AFL player makes it the first time, take David Rodan as a perfect example.

Good Luck to all the field umpires trialling

I think there is always room for self improvement no matter what stage your are in your career. Whether it be umpiring, playing, coaching or whatever role you have at work, you can always be better.

After watching Pannell run in the VFL Grand Final, it's obvious that he has worked on his weaknesses and come back a determined umpire wanting another chance. He at least deserves to be looked at.

Not every AFL player makes it the first time, take David Rodan as a perfect example.

Good Luck to all the field umpires trialling

couldn't have said it better myself, Troy has clearly improved since his first voyage in the AFL system.

yeah agreed, if you watched troy in the VFL GF he was definantely in a zone that is better than VFL football, i give great praise to a man who was delisted and insted of quitting, can come back, work hard on his weaknesses and come back to prove it. all the best to Troy and all the others up for trial.

Interesting...

I would think Pannell would be lucky. After all, they did delist him!

they also delisted mark canning. he got back onto the list though and is a grand final umpire now at the elite level

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Troy has done what he needed to do. He got delisted at the end of the 2007 season, went back to VFL level and got awarded with the VFL Grand Final.
He's probably going to get a gig again this year at the elite level.

S2G wrote 13.01.09

Troy has done what he needed to do. He got delisted at the end of the 2007 season, went back to VFL level and got awarded with the VFL Grand Final.
He's probably going to get a gig again this year at the elite level.

Findlay was easily the best in the VFL grand final and had a solid season. Hard to see him missing out

Has anyone got any updates on how the trial umpires are going in terms of time trials etc. other training tests??

Has anyone got any updates on how the trial umpires are going in terms of time trials etc. other training tests??
Yeah there is a website going around that is called whatsyourdecision.com.au and you read Rob Finlay's blogs. They are awesome stuff.

i was replying to moose 54 he said he was a basketball umpire i dont care who you umpire what code weather it be football or basketball but reading your past posts i think do a lot of complaining borgsta2006

The following umpires have made the list for 2009

Troy Pannell, Robert Findlay, Sam Hay & Jeff Dalgliesh

The following umpires have been rookied

Michael Jennings
Gavin Statham
Ben Ryan
and one other - can't remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Back