Player Sponsorship 2016..JIMMY AISH - Aish Pin winner drawn p35

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh btw, I watched about the last 20 mins of training, which was mainly some players practicing goal kicking and some were practicing marking over Anthony Rocca with a big padded suit on.

I will make 2 observations that stood out (and I assure you I have no bias here):

1. In the marking drills players like Wyatt and Crocker marked everything but Witts dropped nearly every mark he went for, they just splashed out of his hands. Even the ones he took the ball bubbled around.

2. Goodyear was practicing goal kicking from set shots on a 45 degree angle about 25-30 metres out. I saw him have at least a dozen slow and deliberate shots (whilst being coached by someone I couldn't see properly) and I reckon he missed 10 of them, sprayed them both sides of the post. He barely got one in.

Make of that what you will.

I don't think either of us took photos. My phone camera is crap and I'm not really a photo taker......soz!

Firstly, I just want to say how lovely Shellz is. She is great company and really knows her football and it was a pleasure to share the experience with her! :thumbsu:

The event was held in the big room on the first floor of the glasshouse that overlooks the ground and was cut down to about half size with a fake wall. I'm guessing that there were about 15 tables of 10 and there were 2 players on each table. I'd guess that there were about a dozen or so players who were not in attendance for various reasons. I was sitting right next to James Aish with Shellz next to me. On the other side of our table was Travis Cloke. There were two course of food, a lasagne entree and then a chicken schnitzel for the main. The food was fine. There was a cash bar for alcohol that was only manned by 2 people and was very slow moving but the prices were fine.

Firstly, James is a really nice guy with a very friendly manner. He's a naturally quiet type but freely engages in genuine conversation. You've got to remember that the kid is only 20 years old. I'm not sure if people are aware but his girlfriend is Mitchell Morgan who is the fastest Aussie girl over 400 metres since Cathy Freeman and is qualified for the Rio Olympics. I don't think I'm mistaken in recalling that they're confident that she can at least make the semi finals.

I asked him what he likes to be called and is isn't fussed. Trav called him Jim but then he (James) let it on that they are trying to get "Jimmy" going instead as Jimmy Aish has a ring to it (like Jimmy Bartel etc etc). I therefore encourage all posters to now call him Jimmy!!!!

Jimmy is pretty shy in talking about himself but we chatted a bit about Adelaide, his family etc. He is currently living in Port Melbourne and he absolutely loves Melbourne. Much better than Adelaide! At least one of his brothers lives here too. I personally don't think that there is any fear of him wanting to go back there.

He didn't really like talking about his own form. In relation to his last game in regard to a question from another person at the table he just answered "I played alright"......but he did seem reasonably hopeful that he would get selected for Friday night's game. It seemed pretty clear that neither he nor Trav knew the selections yet. Trav was also hopeful but i got the feeling that he was not confident.

Jimmy talked about his diet and club rules etc. The club give diet advice but don't really keep check on it but do continually test their skin folds. They are weighed before and after every match (more for hydration). Jimmy doesn't have any issues with weight and his problem is more keeping it on, especially as the season goes on.This is common for most players though as you can't do as many weights etc.

He's not studying at the moment (they only get one free day a week- Wednesday) but intends to start studying psychology maybe next semester, as this is an interest of his. He's also thinking of a business course. I can't think of much else to report.

I didn't really get to speak to Trav one on one but he was very friendly and sociable. It's obvious that he has done a lot of these things so is pretty relaxed and will talk to the whole table more. I must say he seems pretty happy and positive despite his demotion. He was talking a lot about his farm and the various animals that he has on it. I asked him if he has a horse (i.e Smally).....haha......but he just answered that yes he has horses and gave me a bit of a funny look.

He mentioned he keeps getting pulled over by the cops on his Harley and they have suggested a special muffler to reduce the noise. There was also some muscle car talk with others but i lost interest......

Both Trav and Jimmy think Casey Oval is a shithole....freezing and miles away. Trav was pretty stoked that the VFL are in the top 4.

They had various people interviewed during the night up on stage. Firstly, Meg Hutchins was interviewed about the women's football team. Then they had 2 groups of players up, firstly Steele Sidebottom and Brodie Grundy, then Taylor Adams and Ben Crocker. They talked about their break over the weekend, made some jokes etc.

Taylor wants to play this weekend and is running but says the fitness staff say he's not ready and says it will probably be another 3 weeks! I thought he looked like he was still limping a bit.
Great post.
Really appreciated.

Goodyear was practicing goal kicking from set shots on a 45 degree angle about 25-30 metres out. I saw him have at least a dozen slow and deliberate shots (whilst being coached by someone I couldn't see properly) and I reckon he missed 10 of them, sprayed them both sides of the post. He barely got one in.
So what you are saying is Goodyear is a certain selection this week ;)

I don't think either of us took photos. My phone camera is crap and I'm not really a photo taker......soz!

Firstly, I just want to say how lovely Shellz is. She is great company and really knows her football and it was a pleasure to share the experience with her! :thumbsu:

The event was held in the big room on the first floor of the glasshouse that overlooks the ground and was cut down to about half size with a fake wall. I'm guessing that there were about 15 tables of 10 and there were 2 players on each table. I'd guess that there were about a dozen or so players who were not in attendance for various reasons. I was sitting right next to James Aish with Shellz next to me. On the other side of our table was Travis Cloke. There were two course of food, a lasagne entree and then a chicken schnitzel for the main. The food was fine. There was a cash bar for alcohol that was only manned by 2 people and was very slow moving but the prices were fine.

Firstly, James is a really nice guy with a very friendly manner. He's a naturally quiet type but freely engages in genuine conversation. You've got to remember that the kid is only 20 years old. I'm not sure if people are aware but his girlfriend is Mitchell Morgan who is the fastest Aussie girl over 400 metres since Cathy Freeman and is qualified for the Rio Olympics. I don't think I'm mistaken in recalling that they're confident that she can at least make the semi finals.

I asked him what he likes to be called and is isn't fussed. Trav called him Jim but then he (James) let it on that they are trying to get "Jimmy" going instead as Jimmy Aish has a ring to it (like Jimmy Bartel etc etc). I therefore encourage all posters to now call him Jimmy!!!!

Jimmy is pretty shy in talking about himself but we chatted a bit about Adelaide, his family etc. He is currently living in Port Melbourne and he absolutely loves Melbourne. Much better than Adelaide! At least one of his brothers lives here too. I personally don't think that there is any fear of him wanting to go back there.

He didn't really like talking about his own form. In relation to his last game in regard to a question from another person at the table he just answered "I played alright"......but he did seem reasonably hopeful that he would get selected for Friday night's game. It seemed pretty clear that neither he nor Trav knew the selections yet. Trav was also hopeful but i got the feeling that he was not confident.

Jimmy talked about his diet and club rules etc. The club give diet advice but don't really keep check on it but do continually test their skin folds. They are weighed before and after every match (more for hydration). Jimmy doesn't have any issues with weight and his problem is more keeping it on, especially as the season goes on.This is common for most players though as you can't do as many weights etc.

He's not studying at the moment (they only get one free day a week- Wednesday) but intends to start studying psychology maybe next semester, as this is an interest of his. He's also thinking of a business course. I can't think of much else to report.

I didn't really get to speak to Trav one on one but he was very friendly and sociable. It's obvious that he has done a lot of these things so is pretty relaxed and will talk to the whole table more. I must say he seems pretty happy and positive despite his demotion. He was talking a lot about his farm and the various animals that he has on it. I asked him if he has a horse (i.e Smally).....haha......but he just answered that yes he has horses and gave me a bit of a funny look.

He mentioned he keeps getting pulled over by the cops on his Harley and they have suggested a special muffler to reduce the noise. There was also some muscle car talk with others but i lost interest......

Both Trav and Jimmy think Casey Oval is a shithole....freezing and miles away. Trav was pretty stoked that the VFL are in the top 4.

They had various people interviewed during the night up on stage. Firstly, Meg Hutchins was interviewed about the women's football team. Then they had 2 groups of players up, firstly Steele Sidebottom and Brodie Grundy, then Taylor Adams and Ben Crocker. They talked about their break over the weekend, made some jokes etc.

Taylor wants to play this weekend and is running but says the fitness staff say he's not ready and says it will probably be another 3 weeks! I thought he looked like he was still limping a bit.

Wow I'm glad you went with the detailed post!!! It was lovely to meet you too.

The biggest stand out for me was that James "jimmy" Aish is genuinely one of the most polite, well spoken, young 20 years old I had ever come across. When we are criticising and review our players I think we are all guilty of forgetting that some of them are so young and still have so much life and football experience to get.

Things that I recall that Kirby didn't mention:

Aish mentioned that he likes to wear the long sleeved jumper but knows it could come across as soft. We all agreed that it actually looked great!

Trav was very quick to drop into the conversation that Aish was seeing Mitchell Morgan and was keen to get aish talking about her and I think to make him uncomfortable!

Kirby, I don't know if you had the same view, but I think Aish and I both shared a genuine shock that someone paid $2,000 for the opportunity to run out with the team.

He asked us what big footy actually was (that surprised me to be honest). We advised him not to read it. He said that the media coverage was an eye opener and referred to the drug scandal story.

Trav is very much a natural and very comfortable at these events. I don't think it was a coincidence that he was on the same table as Aish. Given his personal situation, he was very positive and was talking the vfl team up. Lots of older women were keen to give him a hug and tell him to keep his head up which he took in his stride.

There was a few comments from trav about the club saving money on making us pay for our drinks, the third prize in a raffle being a tour of the Holden centre (effectively something we could do for free) and was very concerned that the vegetarian at our table didn't have her meal. He actually got up to tell the waitress however he was probably just hungry!

They all enjoyed ribbing into Maynard.

Crocker is funny and confident for another young kid.

Grundy asked the crowd if we actually thought he was a different cat.

Mason cox is a giant. Like an actual freaking giant.

There was no other club officials in attendance. Last time I went to an event like this Eddie and bucks were there but given current situation it was probably a good thing they weren't.

Bucks was a hot topic at the table before the players arrived. I actually wondered if one of them was one of our posters at one stage!

I can't think of anything else? Kirby I thought the schnitzel was horrible!

We sat with some lovely people and had a really good night!

I've just flicked the switch and I'm looking forward to the footy on Friday Night. Hope they pick Aish. He wanted to come to Collingwood because of the rich history. If Ed was president on NM, no one would give more than two shits about what he said, it probably would have gone unnoticed as it almost did. This is why you chose the Pies Aish, never a better time to make your comeback. Go Pies!

Wow I'm glad you went with the detailed post!!! It was lovely to meet you too.

The biggest stand out for me was that James "jimmy" Aish is genuinely one of the most polite, well spoken, young 20 years old I had ever come across. When we are criticising and review our players I think we are all guilty of forgetting that some of them are so young and still have so much life and football experience to get.

Things that I recall that Kirby didn't mention:

Aish mentioned that he likes to wear the long sleeved jumper but knows it could come across as soft. We all agreed that it actually looked great!

Trav was very quick to drop into the conversation that Aish was seeing Mitchell Morgan and was keen to get aish talking about her and I think to make him uncomfortable!

Kirby, I don't know if you had the same view, but I think Aish and I both shared a genuine shock that someone paid $2,000 for the opportunity to run out with the team.

He asked us what big footy actually was (that surprised me to be honest). We advised him not to read it. He said that the media coverage was an eye opener and referred to the drug scandal story.

Trav is very much a natural and very comfortable at these events. I don't think it was a coincidence that he was on the same table as Aish. Given his personal situation, he was very positive and was talking the vfl team up. Lots of older women were keen to give him a hug and tell him to keep his head up which he took in his stride.

There was a few comments from trav about the club saving money on making us pay for our drinks, the third prize in a raffle being a tour of the Holden centre (effectively something we could do for free) and was very concerned that the vegetarian at our table didn't have her meal. He actually got up to tell the waitress however he was probably just hungry!

They all enjoyed ribbing into Maynard.

Crocker is funny and confident for another young kid.

Grundy asked the crowd if we actually thought he was a different cat.

Mason cox is a giant. Like an actual freaking giant.

There was no other club officials in attendance. Last time I went to an event like this Eddie and bucks were there but given current situation it was probably a good thing they weren't.

Bucks was a hot topic at the table before the players arrived. I actually wondered if one of them was one of our posters at one stage!

I can't think of anything else? Kirby I thought the schnitzel was horrible!

We sat with some lovely people and had a really good night!
Terrific post.
What I'm really getting is how Aish is a good guy. Quietish and young.
Best mates with Matt Scharenberg.
Let's hope Aish transitions into quality for us

Yeah Jimmy is a very nice kid.

I have an almost 19 year old daughter and he's the type of boy that I'd be happy that she brought home to meet me.

I hope that gives you a good indication of how he comes across.

Btw, in view of his nature I think we have to be patient with his development as a player. It's not as easy for the non extroverted types in the early days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Jimmy is a very nice kid.

I have an almost 19 year old daughter and he's the type of boy that I'd be happy that she brought home to meet me.

I hope that gives you a good indication of how he comes across.

Btw, in view of his nature I think we have to be patient with his development as a player. It's not as easy for the non extroverted types in the early days.
Reminds me of an article on the then Mrs Leigh Matthews (don't recall her name) and she was asked out of the collingwood team who would she be happy with to go out with her daughter, she said
"Gavin Brown."

Oh btw, I watched about the last 20 mins of training, which was mainly some players practicing goal kicking and some were practicing marking over Anthony Rocca with a big padded suit on.

I will make 2 observations that stood out (and I assure you I have no bias here):

1. In the marking drills players like Wyatt and Crocker marked everything but Witts dropped nearly every mark he went for, they just splashed out of his hands. Even the ones he took the ball bubbled around.

2. Goodyear was practicing goal kicking from set shots on a 45 degree angle about 25-30 metres out. I saw him have at least a dozen slow and deliberate shots (whilst being coached by someone I couldn't see properly) and I reckon he missed 10 of them, sprayed them both sides of the post. He barely got one in.

The someone you couldn't see wasn't Clokey was it.

We have about $1200 in the kitty so my intention is to purchase 4 tickets for the Copeland Dinner this year, given that the usual 2 are no longer part of the benefits of sponsorship.

For those yet to win a prize, and who would be interested in going, is this ok?

Please let me know if you would prefer something else done with the money.

BEEG
Morganashlee
Vicky Park
MyManLynch
Anzacday
robertg22
Laurie Holden
CFC2010
Maggie5
WatsamattaU
PieBeast
gero magpie
MooreTreloar
Ulahoopski
the mighty T
PTpie
Apex36
FreddoFrog65
Pedro
Gone Critical
Premier Pies
Kashyboy
PicaBoo

Last edited:
We have about $1200 in the kitty so my intention is to purchase 4 tickets for the Copeland Dinner this year, given that the usual 2 are no longer part of the benefits of sponsorship.

BEEG
Morganashlee
Vicky Park
MyManLynch
Anzacday
robertg22
Laurie Holden
CFC2010
Maggie5
WatsamattaU
PieBeast
gero magpie
Captain scont
Ulahoopski
the mighty T
PTpie
Apex36
FreddoFrog65
Pedro
Gone Critical
Premier Pies
Kashyboy
Would be very happy with this.

BEEG
Morganashlee
Vicky Park
MyManLynch
Anzacday
robertg22
Laurie Holden
CFC2010
Maggie5
WatsamattaU
PieBeast
gero magpie
Captain scont
Ulahoopski
the mighty T
PTpie
Apex36
FreddoFrog65
Pedro
Gone Critical
Premier Pies
Kashyboy
Ok by me

BEEG
Morganashlee
Vicky Park
MyManLynch
Anzacday
robertg22
Laurie Holden
CFC2010
Maggie5
WatsamattaU
PieBeast
gero magpie