2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Suns should be trading aggressively this year imo. Talls at both both ends and a promising ruck should be the priorities. All picks should be on the table for the right players. We can afford to skip a draft or two if needed to get the right players. Another 18 year old isn't whats needed right now, need players in the 21-26 ages range that will be best 22 next year.

Completely agree with this.

Need to pick up a mature ruck (ideally mid-season draft), CHB & CHF.

All picks on the table to see who we can shake loose.

I think Sam Day is in an awkward predicament this year being out of contract. Long term injury, past his prime, turning 29, on good $$$, unlikely to be best 22 next season?

I love the bloke to bits but does the club use his $500k+ towards a quality key position player 23-25yo that will be best 22 for the next 5+ years?

Agreed we need to start throwing sh*t and see what sticks. I'm not sure anything will come our way but it never hurts to ask. Gonna have to clear out a few players taking up cap space though

On the table...

Brodie
Fiorini
Macpherson
Possibly Day? ...or rookie list on lower $

Any others?

Last edited:
Completely agree with this.

Need to pick up a mature ruck (ideally mid-season draft), CHB & CHF.

All picks on the table to see who we can shake loose.

I think Sam Day is in an awkward predicament this year being out of contract. Long term injury, past his prime, turning 29, on good $$$, unlikely to be best 22 next season?

I love the bloke to bits but does the club use his $500k+ towards a quality key position player 23-25yo that will be best 22 for the next 5+ years?
Blokes like Day need to become depth. If we sign a good player at either end of the ground he can back up both nicely. He's worth keeping on a 1-2 year deal imo, but would need to half his pay probably. If he can find another club that pays him enough to leave, so be it (assuming there are replacements).

If St Kilda bomb this year I'd offer them 2 first's for Max King. I doubt it works, but we need to be aggressive. The media seem to think it's inevitable the brothers will play together, but it doesn't have to be at St Kilda does it? Even if as likely we don't get him, it shows we mean business.

We've recruited well the last few years, players like Ellis and Greenwood were exactly what was required. Need another signing like them. Doesn't have to be an A lister, the character and professionalism they have added is the key thing.

Blokes like Day need to become depth. If we sign a good player at either end of the ground he can back up both nicely. He's worth keeping on a 1-2 year deal imo, but would need to half his pay probably. If he can find another club that pays him enough to leave, so be it (assuming there are replacements).

If St Kilda bomb this year I'd offer them 2 first's for Max King. I doubt it works, but we need to be aggressive. The media seem to think it's inevitable the brothers will play together, but it doesn't have to be at St Kilda does it? Even if as likely we don't get him, it shows we mean business.

We've recruited well the last few years, players like Ellis and Greenwood were exactly what was required. Need another signing like them. Doesn't have to be an A lister, the character and professionalism they have added is the key thing.
Agree, but easier said than done.
A few targets out of contract but far limited than the mids/flankers.

Tom Mccartin would be a great get and a prime target here but price would be high.
Jake Riccardi potentially can play both ends
Ben McKay a good sized option but not sure how good he is?
Jake Kolodjasnij, PAtrick Ambrose both too small for the key positions we need.
Ryan Garthwaite, BZT unproven

David Astbury, Lachie Keefe, Daniel Talia probably too old.

Any others?

Agree, but easier said than done.
A few targets out of contract but far limited than the mids/flankers.

Tom Mccartin would be a great get and a prime target here but price would be high.
Jake Riccardi potentially can play both ends
Ben McKay a good sized option but not sure how good he is?
Jake Kolodjasnij, PAtrick Ambrose both too small for the key positions we need.
Ryan Garthwaite, BZT unproven

David Astbury, Lachie Keefe, Daniel Talia probably too old.

Any others?
I like Riccardi and Ben McKay from that list. Not sure about old blokes any more. Maybe BZT if he wants opportunity.

There are talents players there though, just got to get the right ones, that's the tricky part.

Sam Collins is the perfect example of getting the right guy.

Agreed, Collingwood shouldn't trade him, they need to keep their better young players.

Even if he was interested (unlikely) I'd be hesitant paying overs for him due to his injury history. Gun player though, so he could be worth the risk.

Not sure we have the cap space to tempt him either?
Would have to offer more than 800k. I believe that's what he is currently on.

I'd say slim to no chance at it happening.

Would have to offer more than 800k. I believe that's what he is currently on.

I'd say slim to no chance at it happening.

I don’t think cash would be his motivation. He will get top $ and retire very wealthy at any club he plays for.

It would be a lifestyle choice. Escaping the Victorian footy bubble and the relentless Melbourne media.

I imagine the Swans, Lions & GWS would all be enquiring with the same pitch.

I don’t think cash would be his motivation. He will get top $ and retire very wealthy at any club he plays for.

It would be a lifestyle choice. Escaping the Victorian footy bubble and the relentless Melbourne media.

I imagine the Swans, Lions & GWS would all be enquiring with the same pitch.
I think he actually likes the media. Doesn't do it very often. Very good in front of the camera though.
RFA end of 2022, so you could attempt then. But he'll captain the pies one day soon.

Thoughts on Callum Coleman-Jones?

200cm Ruck/Forward, stuck behind Riewoldt, maybe tempted to come up on the cheap?

I think he actually likes the media. Doesn't do it very often. Very good in front of the camera though.
RFA end of 2022, so you could attempt then. But he'll captain the pies one day soon.
Captain? Interesting.

He seems like a quiet guy to me. And went miissing during what was a big game last week.

you know him better than i obviously but surprised that he is considered captain material

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two comments.

Pies board thinks you’re the perfect destination to off load Mason Cox to.

If you’re looking for a Hodge type as discussed on page 7, you really want someone who plays behind the ball and can direct your defence and midfielders. You don’t want a player who’s in the middle of the action.

Captain? Interesting.

He seems like a quiet guy to me. And went miissing during what was a big game last week.

you know him better than i obviously but surprised that he is considered captain material
He is in the leadership group and has actually been in the media a fair bit over the last few months. Whether its on that indigineous show, speaking up about the do better report, interviews etc. Some think they should go with a co-captain with Adams/Moore.
He is very well spoken.

I felt he stood up in 2020 when he took charge of the backline when Howe went down. He more than earns his money. He's definitely one I would keep. But no doubt clubs will come for him next year, as they have done before.

Two comments.

Pies board thinks you’re the perfect destination to off load Mason Cox to.

If you’re looking for a Hodge type as discussed on page 7, you really want someone who plays behind the ball and can direct your defence and midfielders. You don’t want a player who’s in the middle of the action.
No thanks to Cox.

Fair enough second comment.
Someone like Sam Mitchell recruited to West Coast purely to transition to coaching?

No thanks to Cox.

Fair enough second comment.
Someone like Sam Mitchell recruited to West Coast purely to transition to coaching?
Yeah, I agree with you on Cox. Just stupid Collingwood posters believing you’d be their trade bunny.

I don’t know which current player would suit you in an on field coach type role.

bachar houli from everything I hear is a phenomenal human being.
Not sure what he's like in an onfield general type of role.
Obviously a very good player
Yeah, I agree with you on Cox. Just stupid Collingwood posters believing you’d be their trade bunny.

I don’t know which current player would suit you in an on field coach type role.

If you had a nice juicy offer to Scott Pendlebury (33) or Mitch Duncan (29) i would be stoked. One club players and champions of their club so highly unlikely but hey Sam Mitchell went west.

If Nathan Broad is bored of Richmond he could come join his mates

If you had a nice juicy offer to Scott Pendlebury (33) or Mitch Duncan (29) i would be stoked. One club players and champions of their club so highly unlikely but hey Sam Mitchell went west.

If Nathan Broad is bored of Richmond he could come join his mates
Between Bowes / Farrar / Powell I think we've got enough of that 187 - 192cm defender.

I think we need to 200cm tall really.

Between Bowes / Farrar / Powell I think we've got enough of that 187 - 192cm defender.

I think we need to 200cm tall really.
Yeah wouldn't mind Darcy Moore or Jordan Roughead.

Even cheaper would be Alex Pearce but he can't get on the park

Let’s be honest unless we delist or trade up to ten players we wont be a huge player in the market noting we have like 4 very likely academy selections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back