2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is everyone feeling about the Bowes and pick seven deal now a week after it was leaked? This was obviously done to give Suns fans a chance to come to terms with it prior to the actual event. For me at least it highlights the ongoing incompetence of our trades team, something I’m sure many of you have heard me say before and some disagree with.
But regardless of anyones opinion this trade is a seminal event in AFL trading. No one has thrown away so much without even being asked to do so before, it’s the ultimate closing down sale where everything must go. Will it prove to be genius who knows but considering the Brodie, 2MP and Scrimshaw deals and the overpaying of players he now wants to shed I have no faith in Cameron.
Some people on here will point out that these players were surplus to our needs, and with some justification but the evidence shows that we did not develop these players and that their status as surplus was due to our own mismanagement not a lack of talent, they have proven to be best 22 and arguably top 10 players at their new teams and Cameron gave them away after Dew failed to see their quite obvious abilities, a failure in every sense.
Now some of you will berate me for negativity and talk about team improvement and culture and there is no doubt I tend to dwell on the more critical mistakes our club makes but surely even the most optimistic person has to be frustrated with the deals done and about to be done.

Finally let me pose a possibility, the treatment of Bowes may very well damage the much celebrated culture, what if Noah and or Rowell decide it’s not a culture they want to be in or simply do a Rankine next year? The fire sale embarked on over the past few years will of left the club with without Rankine, Sharp, Scrimshaw, 2MP, Brodie, Bowes, pick 7, Pick 19 ( potentially Noah and or Rowell) and very little to show for it in return, this should make some long suffering Suns fans nervous as deep down in the recesses of your mind you know while it’s unlikely it has Suns management written all over it.

How is everyone feeling about the Bowes and pick seven deal now a week after it was leaked? This was obviously done to give Suns fans a chance to come to terms with it prior to the actual event. For me at least it highlights the ongoing incompetence of our trades team, something I’m sure many of you have heard me say before and some disagree with.
But regardless of anyones opinion this trade is a seminal event in AFL trading. No one has thrown away so much without even being asked to do so before, it’s the ultimate closing down sale where everything must go. Will it prove to be genius who knows but considering the Brodie, 2MP and Scrimshaw deals and the overpaying of players he now wants to shed I have no faith in Cameron.
Some people on here will point out that these players were surplus to our needs, and with some justification but the evidence shows that we did not develop these players and that their status as surplus was due to our own mismanagement not a lack of talent, they have proven to be best 22 and arguably top 10 players at their new teams and Cameron gave them away after Dew failed to see their quite obvious abilities, a failure in every sense.
Now some of you will berate me for negativity and talk about team improvement and culture and there is no doubt I tend to dwell on the more critical mistakes our club makes but surely even the most optimistic person has to be frustrated with the deals done and about to be done.

Finally let me pose a possibility, the treatment of Bowes may very well damage the much celebrated culture, what if Noah and or Rowell decide it’s not a culture they want to be in or simply do a Rankine next year? The fire sale embarked on over the past few years will of left the club with without Rankine, Sharp, Scrimshaw, 2MP, Brodie, Bowes, pick 7, Pick 19 ( potentially Noah and or Rowell) and very little to show for it in return, this should make some long suffering Suns fans nervous as deep down in the recesses of your mind you know while it’s unlikely it has Suns management written all over it.
In full agreement. The Club is in a very delicate position - and I'm sure some players will be noting what's going down. No guarantees at all that Anderson / Rowell will stay but I hope so. Club is very poor in this area - it can't be all coincidence that almost every player let go has gone on to be a better player than when with us. Even Ah Chee holds down a spot in a top team when he rarely got a spot for us. Rankine departing is a major blow - letting Bowes go with Pick 7 smacks of desperation and poor player treatment - then Sharp wants out. Corbett eased out the door, Fiorini the same and who knows how many more are thinking it over. At this stage other than Ben Long we have nothing coming our way - a lot going out the door. Can't help feeling let down by club management and coaching overall.

We can argue black and blue but let's be honest no-one is changing your mind on how you see the club.
If we make finals next season and Rowell and Noah have re-signed will you still be bemoaning these trades or celebrating the aggressive moves that made it possible?
The reality is we don't know the outcome of the trade now or even when it happens. This is a long term goal we are striving for.

In full agreement. The Club is in a very delicate position - and I'm sure some players will be noting what's going down. No guarantees at all that Anderson / Rowell will stay but I hope so. Club is very poor in this area - it can't be all coincidence that almost every player let go has gone on to be a better player than when with us. Even Ah Chee holds down a spot in a top team when he rarely got a spot for us. Rankine departing is a major blow - letting Bowes go with Pick 7 smacks of desperation and poor player treatment - then Sharp wants out. Corbett eased out the door, Fiorini the same and who knows how many more are thinking it over. At this stage other than Ben Long we have nothing coming our way - a lot going out the door. Can't help feeling let down by club management and coaching overall.
Not sure why you even get out of bed when the sky is constantly falling in..

We can argue black and blue but let's be honest no-one is changing your mind on how you see the club.
If we make finals next season and Rowell and Noah have re-signed will you still be bemoaning these trades or celebrating the aggressive moves that made it possible?
The reality is we don't know the outcome of the trade now or even when it happens. This is a long term goal we are striving for.
The deals I highlighted are self inflicted hot garbage regardless of whether we make finals or not, one outcome doesn’t prove another. They have been horribly one sided and frankly wasteful of the concessions we were granted. Do you disagree with this synopsis if so on what points?

To counter your argument if we miss finals ( as we have every year) and one or both of Noah or Rowell want out how will that be the culmination of a long term plan?

You’d say Collingwood are in the window now as well, most decent teams over the last decade have won a flag with out an all Australian ruckman. I think it’s a disaster
Yah I don’t really agree with the trade.

But Melbourne are trading for Grundy because of the player he is, not because it is advantageous to take on his salary and receive something in addition. Which is why Grundy and Bowes are different.

Finally let me pose a possibility, the treatment of Bowes may very well damage the much celebrated culture, what if Noah and or Rowell decide it’s not a culture they want to be in or simply do a Rankine next year?
this is the part I agree with. Hard to know how the personal relationships players have built and their perception of this ploy will impact on the general sentiment within the club.

The reality is, within the salary cap, we can’t keep the high end players as they demand too much salary wise. Why we have had to trade young talented players for virtually nothing (scrimshaw, Wright etc..) I don’t know.

this is the part I agree with. Hard to know how the personal relationships players have built and their perception of this ploy will impact on the general sentiment within the club.

The reality is, within the salary cap, we can’t keep the high end players as they demand too much salary wise. Why we have had to trade young talented players for virtually nothing (scrimshaw, Wright etc..) I don’t know.
This is what I don’t fully understand either. Other clubs don’t seem to trade out players with similar or even lesser talent at the rate we do. Are we just chumps at the trade table or is something else going on?

The deals I highlighted are self inflicted hot garbage regardless of whether we make finals or not, one outcome doesn’t prove another. They have been horribly one sided and frankly wasteful of the concessions we were granted. Do you disagree with this synopsis if so on what points?

To counter your argument if we miss finals ( as we have every year) and one or both of Noah or Rowell want out how will that be the culmination of a long term plan?
The only trade I've had an issue with to this point was Lyons delisting.
2MP was pathetic in 2019, a first year KPF in King showed more in 4 games then 2MP did in 3 seasons, had no issue letting him go, glad he playing well for Essendon but he was embarrassingly soft for us.
Brodie didn't take a hold of any opportunities given to him, yes we probably should of gave him more inside mid appearances but football doesn't work that way. So once again, huge salary and an underperforming player, little bit of a over correction but not club ruining.
Rankine is leaving for money, Sharp is homesick, Scrimshaw was a pathetic excuse for a footballer here so tacking those on is a joke.
Bowes isn't best 22, if we can clear that salary and it helps us attract top 22 talent and re-sign our young guns im all for it.
We haven't had a player want out because he didn't want to be here for ages, we are clearly improving as a club and a team. But once again it's too hard to judge these deals this early imo, if the club falls apart in the next 2 seasons then sure, we've ****ed this up. Until then, I'll reserve judgement.

Bowes isn't best 22, if we can clear that salary and it helps us attract top 22 talent and re-sign our young guns im all for it.

I understand about havingng overpaid players in the vfl but Bowes contract isn’t about being overpaid it’s about list management stuffing it up with back end deals. If it was a front end deal and he requested a trade after 2 years everyone would be up in arms. He done the right thing accepted a back ended deal list management stuffed it up now have to push him out. He’s been involved with the club since he was 12 and wanted to be there through thick and thin and now given the boot with something that he thought he was doing the right thing with

The only trade I've had an issue with to this point was Lyons delisting.
2MP was pathetic in 2019, a first year KPF in King showed more in 4 games then 2MP did in 3 seasons, had no issue letting him go, glad he playing well for Essendon but he was embarrassingly soft for us.
Brodie didn't take a hold of any opportunities given to him, yes we probably should of gave him more inside mid appearances but football doesn't work that way. So once again, huge salary and an underperforming player, little bit of a over correction but not club ruining.
Rankine is leaving for money, Sharp is homesick, Scrimshaw was a pathetic excuse for a footballer here so tacking those on is a joke.
We haven't had a player want out because he didn't want to be here for ages, we are clearly improving as a club and a team. But once again it's too hard to judge these deals this early imo, if the club falls apart in the next 2 seasons then sure, we've *ed this up. Until then, I'll reserve judgement.
The common theme in your argument is that they didn’t perform for us, you also accept that they have performed for their new clubs ( even Scrimshaw has even if you don’t see it) ALL of this is on the Suns, the lack of development and subsequent lack of return when traded. It’s indefensible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand about havingng overpaid players in the vfl but Bowes contract isn’t about being overpaid it’s about list management stuffing it up with back end deals. If it was a front end deal and he requested a trade after 2 years everyone would be up in arms. He done the right thing accepted a back ended deal list management stuffed it up now have to push him out. He’s been involved with the club since he was 12 and wanted to be there through thick and thin and now given the boot with something that he thought he was doing the right thing with
Wasn't some of his money deferred due to covid? Some clubs cut salaries across the board, the Suns didn't. There would have been consultation with the players over this. At least Bowes will get all his money.

Clubs front/back end deals all the time. It's only an issue when a player doesn't fulfil his potential, like Bowes or Fiorini. Or wright or Brodie. (I don't think Wright can be used as an example against the club he was shocking)

If Bowes was a best 22 he wouldn't be getting moved, in the end that is what matters.

The common theme in your argument is that they didn’t perform for us, you also accept that they have performed for their new clubs ( even Scrimshaw has even if you don’t see it) ALL of this is on the Suns, the lack of development and subsequent lack of return when traded. It’s indefensible.
You think Richmond are crying because Chol is playing so well for us but didn't for them?
Give me a spell, this happens at every club. Different environments suit different players, some people just develop better under different coaches etc.

You think Richmond are crying because Chol is playing so well for us but didn't for them?
Give me a spell, those happens at every club. Different environments suit different players, some people just develop better under different coaches etc.
Chol wasn’t a top 10 pick and was a free agent. Has zero to do with my argument. Stop defecting

All clubs make drafting mistakes. Development has been an issue at the Suns clearly, this is not a new thing.

You seem to take any and every opportunity to post doom about the club. Do you expect perfection? That they never get anything wrong? I really don't understand what you expect?

Chol wasn’t a top 10 pick and was a free agent. Has zero to do with my argument. Stop defecting
Okay then, why is the club at fault when a few players haven't developed well, yet the majority have in the last 3 or 4 seasons?
Why aren't you praising the club for the continued development of Touk, Anderson, Ballard, Ainsworth, King, Powell etc etc?
Or does that not fit your narrative of the hating the club?

Can we extend contracts out like clubs that get said traded player gets traded to? Why can’t we extended the years bowes get his money?
You'd assume that was suggested to Bowes and he said no. Happy to be corrected if that's not true.

Maybe the club simply don't think he's good enough.

Can we extend contracts out like clubs that get said traded player gets traded to? Why can’t we extended the years bowes get his money?
Bowes doesn't want to extend the money any further at the Suns and we can't guarantee him starting midfield time so he wants to leave.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

All clubs make drafting mistakes. Development has been an issue at the Suns clearly, this is not a new thing.

You seem to take any and every opportunity to post doom about the club. Do you expect perfection? That they never get anything wrong? I really don't understand what you expect?
What do I expect? Competency, I don’t think it’s too much to ask.

Okay then, why is the club at fault when a few players haven't developed well, yet the majority have in the last 3 or 4 seasons?
Why aren't you praising the club for the continued development of Touk, Anderson, Ballard, Ainsworth, King, Powell etc etc?
Or does that not fit your narrative of the hating the club?
Once again what does this have to do with the poor development and fire sale of multiple top 10 picks? Our list management has been appalling but for some reason you cannot acknowledge it But want to preach that others that do see it must hate the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back