2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch Bowes have a better year then brodie did.

Once he finally gets his primary role of midfielder not a back pocket under Dew.
It’s all conjecture at this point, maybe he will maybe he won’t.
What we have to work with is 22/21 and he’s been slow, no confidence, no footy iq. Move along to someone who wants the job with those skills.

There is no point even arguing with you because you are steadfast in what you believe that you refuse to see any other point than your own one. Hopefully when we win a flag with this group you find some positives out of it instead of nothing but negatives like you do 👍
No worry’s pot, i see no issue with robust discussion. What you see as negative I see as my point of view and an opportunity the club needs to rectify if it is to be successful, which we both want.

I find revisionism incredibly boring personally.

If you do not acknowledge the problems of the past you will be doomed to repeat it.

If the same people remain in charge of drafting, developing, coaching and then signing guys to inflated contracts based on potential that we have been unable to extract then this is the end result.

GWS at least get value back as they draft better than we do, develop better than we do and generally give big money contracts to their best players at least and not blokes playing in the reserves.

Their salary dumps get them first round picks and not giving them away.

My question to you would be who the players you mentioned would replace in our best 22? Obviously, we would like to keep Rankine but the rest, none of them in my opinion would be best 22 except possibly Scrimshaw but he was a home crying baby and I still prefer watching Farrar over him.

You seem always ignore a couple of points.

1. We got as concessions equivalent of approx. 12 1st and 2nd round picks (in my assessment) in the last 3 years. Just this fact alone completely de-valued how Suns view and use picks. And opposition teams are not stupid and exploit the Suns situation when dealing with Suns. But you still view Suns as a normal club that should value every pick as gold which is IMO unrealistic.

How many more first round picks would you like to bring into the team? The more the better? It's pretty well known that all those picks come with 350-400K tag starting year 3. We got I believe 9 at the moment and if you keep them, they will demand increase. Did we bring enough top talent to our list already? I believe so.

Do you believe we would still be offering pick 7 if we did not receive all those pick concessions and did not bring all those extra players? No other team comes even close to our unique situation in the last 3 years regarding concessions.

Sorting out the talent, who is our future core and pushing out not best 22 (depth) on good money is a logical step. It came 1-2 years earlier than I expected. Obviously, we as fans agree/disagree who is the best 22 and who should go and who should stay. Bringing more draft top talent only to see them leave 2-3 years later is never ending cycle (see GWS).

2. You also completely ignore the fact that we had to come up with 1.5M savings due to covid cap cut. Bowes average salary over 5 years is not 850K, I am pretty sure. When we re-signed Bowes he looked promising and the club also did not know that we get concessions and players like Anderson, Flanders will join us as extra, we get Hollands, and we get for free Davies who are groomed as best 22. Does it suck for Bowes after doing a favour to the club and do I feel for him? Yes, but IMO he is not best 22 and it will be actually good for him to move on like Fiorini, 2MP, Brodie. By the way, team leaders are on board with this strategy according to the club. If true, our team leaders must be stupid too?

Looking at our best 22, I am excited. We got probably our best shot in our history to play finals next year. I could not care less how we got there.

Creating cap space to potentially attract 1-2 top players and have money to re-sign key core players? Sorting out depth? Yes, please. None of players leaving is in my best 22 except Rankine.

Did we over-pay in the past? No doubt. Otherwise, we would lose more players in the past most probably. Do we try to change this practice? Are we willing to let some players go rather than to over-pay them? It does look like looking at Rankine case. We don't work in the same environment as Victoria teams. So, odds are always against us and unless we play finals we still be significantly disadvantaged.

Considering that nobody left we wanted to keep in the last 3 years (except Rankine now) it's a success in my opinion, and it does reflect positively on culture and environment at the club.

By the way, every year there are plenty of teams with players leaving they would prefer to keep and also teams pushing players out. Our list is loaded and close to playing finals.

No doubt some mistakes were made, and I do question some decisions and team selections and strategies as all fans do. E.g., Atkins deals seems obvious failure or let's say drafting McLennan. On the other hand, a lot of teams have similar cases, most teams don't get it correct 100% of times.

I don't mind that you post repetitive and constantly negative views, but it would be nice if you could see sometimes positive things happening within the club for change. If you really believe that the club is a joke and most people at the club are incompetent as you often mention, and you know better, I can only say, good luck to you. It must not be easy to be a supporter for you.

I don't think anything will change your negative views. Just don't expect that everybody will agree with you and confirm your views. But I do wonder what happens if Suns play finals.

Something like Extra 440 points? Preparing ground for other trades?
I’ll try to answer your questions

Point 1, I don’t want more first round picks, never said I did. I would have liked for us to develop the talent we already had. This has been clearly outlined in my previous posts. As for the suns getting so many they devalue them well I ask is that good management?

Point 2 I don’t ignore the fact we had to create savings during the Covid crisis, do I think we managed it well? The Brodie and Bowes fiasco would indicate no.

My views as negative as they may be to you are coming from a place of wanting the club to be better / successful. I see our past few years for player management / trading as poor to say the least. I respect your views and don’t try to tell you to modify them, if mine are too negative as you say for your taste there is a block function that allows you to not have to see them

Geelong it is. Good luck Jack, 4 year deal. A lot of salty people on Draft board.

Last edited:
At least we are well practiced in the art of mental gymnastics I guess.

Jhye Clark would’ve just demanded a trade back to Geelong in 2 years anyway. We are doing ourselves a favour really.

Riley bonner definitely up for trade. Not a huge name but could be a good sharp replacement and eventually Ellis. Wouldn't cost a heap you would think.

I’m taking Lachie Whitfield salary dump

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one should feel confident in the direction and management of our club until we either win a final or finish top 4.

No one should feel confident that we have a top 4 coaching group, top 4 footy boss or a top 4 list management team. They are hard to find/develop and they don't move much when they get success, and they especially don't move interstate much.

No one should feel confident that we will keep all the young players we want to keep, even if the club and coach and culture are working well. Rankine just the first that will go back home or to a big club with big crowds even if we tick most of the boxes. We are a northern club and it has happened and will continue to happen to all 4 Northern clubs, even Sydney (Dawson).

Lots of mistakes along the way, from overpaying to not adjusting the game plan to fit a players skill to drafting the wrong player to not drfating the right player to trading away pick value etc etc

But I am way more confident in the foundations of the club today than I was 4 years ago when Lynch and May left and we felt we had to pay the players who stayed because it could have got worse. The club has a path to getting good enough to win finals and make top 4. Might not get there, probably won't, but we have a chance.

Anyway, might just be me, but I kind of enjoy the rubbish along the way. And there will be a lot of rubbish because it is hard to be succesful in the AFL, and I am 100% certain that it is harder for the 4 northern clubs and the 3 or 4 weakest Melbourne clubs. St Kilda is one of the 8 foundation clubs from 1897 and has won 1 flag. One! Embrace the rubbish!

Plus, we only have to get it right once to jump past GWS and Freo and join the Saints and Port. Best of the Worst!

I guess I kinda see it now. GWS 2nd rounder should be under 25 so next year we’ll 2 picks inside the top 25 which I imagine we could trade for an established player while having a shiteload of 2nds, 3rds and 4ths for academy points. 2022 trade period will be boring as batshit for us but 2023 should be fireworks. Anyone have a wish list of out of contract A Graders?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is true, however, with a number of players they have got coming in, I don’t think they’ll have anything to give us, maybe a future second or third rounder?
Future second is about right. We don't have room for many picks this season and we need as many points as possible for next season.

I guess I kinda see it now. GWS 2nd rounder should be under 25 so next year we’ll 2 picks inside the top 25 which I imagine we could trade for an established player while having a shiteload of 2nds, 3rds and 4ths for academy points. 2022 trade period will be boring as batshit for us but 2023 should be fireworks. Anyone have a wish list of out of contract A Graders?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ben McKay, LDU and mason redman for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back