Fixture 2023 Round 24 Fixture predictor

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread was made in the past, so thought we could do it again this year.

Here's your 9 games

Port Adelaide vs Richmond - Adelaide Oval
North Melbourne vs Gold Coast - Blundstone Arena
Brisbane vs St Kilda - Gabba
Geelong vs Western Bulldogs - GMHBA Stadium
Carlton vs Greater Western Sydney - Marvel Stadium
Hawthorn vs Fremantle - MCG
Essendon vs Collingwood - MCG
West Coast vs Adelaide - Optus Stadium
Sydney vs Melbourne - SCG

There's a few obvious things straight up. Brisbane vs St Kilda and Essendon vs Collingwood will be fighting for Friday Night, and the other will certainly be a nationally broadcast game. The question becomes which of Port Adelaide vs Richmond, Geelong vs Western Bulldogs and Sydney vs Melbourne takes the other nationally broadcast game. Right now, I think Port Adelaide-Richmond looks the most appealing.

I'll start with Friday Night. I trust St Kilda more than I do Essendon, so I'll give Brisbane-St Kilda the Friday Night, relegating Essendon-Collingwood to Saturday Night

We need to relegate Hawthorn vs Fremantle to Sunday (being MCG too), but it's not good enough for national tv, nor would it have the interest for the final game, so that gets the early Sunday slot

I'm looking at 2 other things now. On one hand, I don't want the Marvel game to clash with an MCG game, on the other, I dont want it in Sunday Twilight as it doesnt seem like it'll have much riding on it. So that gets Saturday Afternoon

North Melbourne-Gold Coast just needs to be buried as you dont want that anywhere except the worst slot there is - So the other Saturday Afternoon slot

We now have 4 remaining matchups, 3 of which look good. But the other one, is 2 large supported non-victorian teams, which 7 would love for their ratings. So just to tap into Perth/Adelaide, West Coast-Adelaide get the other Saturday Night spot

Now is the hard part. As much as I want to put Sydney-Melbourne into Saturday twilight, I question whether the AFL would schedule that, as it'd lead to a GWS-Sydney-Collingwood triple header into Sydney on 7/mate. I dont know if they'd do that, so I feel that needs to go to Sunday. But 7 or twilight fox? Can't trust Sydney atm, so they get foxtel. At least Melbourne's result might determine ladder position.

Now my final choice is - what do I want in national broadcast Sunday, and what do I want in the standalone Saturday Twilight. Geelong vs Bulldogs the more important game, would Richmond fans bring in more viewers if I switched it. Would 7 be happy with Port in twilight into news into Crows at night? I mean, it's happening in Rd 15 so why not. I'd go Port-Richmond on Sunday on 7, but this isn't what I'd do. It's predicting what it'll be. So Cats-Bulldogs Sunday Afternoon, Port Power-Richmond Tigers Saturday Twilight

Friday Night7/504BrisbaneSt KildaGabba
Saturday Afternoon
504​
CarltonGreater Western SydneyMarvel Stadium
Saturday Afternoon
503​
North MelbourneGold CoastBlundstone Arena
Saturday Twilight
504​
Port AdelaideRichmondAdelaide Oval
Saturday Night7/504EssendonCollingwoodMCG
Saturday Night
503​
West CoastAdelaideOptus Stadium
Sunday Afternoon
504​
HawthornFremantleMCG
Sunday Afternoon7/503GeelongWestern BulldogsGMHBA Stadium
Sunday Twilight
504​
SydneyMelbourneSCG

Port vs Richmond may be on Sunday twilight if one or both teams are fighting for a top 8 spot.

I'll have a go:
Fri nightEss v CollMCG
Sat arvoPort v RichAdelaide
Sat arvoNM v GCHobart
Sat twilightGeel v WBKardinia
Sat nightBris v StKGabba
Sat nightCarl v GWSMarvel
Sun earlyHaw v FreMCG
Sun midSyd v MelbSCG
Sun eveningWC v AdelPerth

No 6 day break vs 8 day break games, the two standout games get prime viewing slots, no overlapping games between teams from the same non-Vic state, and the worst matchup (sorry WC) gets the least prominent slot.

I'll have a go:
Fri nightEss v CollMCG
Sat arvoNM v GCHobart
Sat nightBris v StKGabba
Sun earlyHaw v FreMCG
Sun midSyd v MelbSCG

No 6 day break vs 8 day break games, the two standout games get prime viewing slots, no overlapping games between teams from the same non-Vic state, and the worst matchup (sorry WC) gets the least prominent slot.

They won't make the last game a dead rubber.

I'll have a go:
Fri nightEss v CollMCG
Sat arvoNM v GCHobart
Sat nightBris v StKGabba
Sun earlyHaw v FreMCG
Sun midSyd v MelbSCG

Swap Carlton/GWS and Geelong/Western Bulldogs and I reckon you got it.

Geelong vs Bulldogs looks like a big time Friday night game
with Collingwood vs Essendon on the Saturday night
and Lions vs Saints on Sunday afternoon
Doggies would be coming off a 5 day break so not likely.

and Lions vs Saints on Sunday afternoon
Lions don't like sunday home games, thats why they don't have this year. This game will likely be a top 8 defining game for saints and top 4 for lions.
Would prefer Fri night, but there is a thugby league game on Fri at Suncorp. Happy with Say night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is that a problem it’s not the first time teams have played after 5 days
They were 100% most certainly not be playing off a 5 day break when there is absolutely no reason to do so. It's also a AFLPA requirement that teams are only given one 5 day break a year for welfare purposes and since the Dogs have already had one, it won't be happening again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back