Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

At the game…1/4 time Allies out working SA with far more efficient delivery inside 50. Murphy has been a handful on the lead. Lombard dangerous and a very good even spread of good players through the middle in general for the Allies. Their speed is notable as usual for Allies sides.

SA bit of a mixed game, usual suspects playing well. Sharp started at half back and quiet but the second he went into the middle he got involved with some good clearance work. Campo twins good, Draper not too bad. Bradley really agile and dangerous up forward but there’s plenty more that need to lift. Would have played Dodson in ruck.

At the game…1/4 time Allies out working SA with far more efficient delivery inside 50. Murphy has been a handful on the lead. Lombard dangerous and a very good even spread of good players through the middle in general for the Allies. Their speed is notable as usual for Allies sides.

SA bit of a mixed game, usual suspects playing well. Sharp started at half back and quiet but the second he went into the middle he got involved with some good clearance work. Campo twins good, Draper not too bad. Bradley really agile and dangerous up forward but there’s plenty more that need to lift. Would have played Dodson in ruck.
I watched the the first 10-15 minutes and some of the turnovers coming out of HB we’re horrendous.

Half time 47 to 35 Allies lead.

Much of the same that quarter to be honest. Both sides had their moments and SA did move the ball a little better then the first but still, the Allies are quicker and cleaner. Forward targets presenting far better and kicking long accurate goals. Murphy has been a real headache and continues his good game. Lombard busy inside and outside and Uwland has been busy. SA well beaten in ruck.

For SA, Campo twins trying hard, Ben especially, Nicholls presenting fairly well, Sharp not too bad, Hargrave, Draper ok. McKay few nice intercept marks that quarter. Montgomery got into it a bit, but there are no standout performances from SA atm. See if they respond in the second half, they certainly are underperforming but credit to the Allies, they aren’t letting them.

3/4 time she’s all tied up 61 each.

SA finally lifted late in that term, worked a bit harder and perhaps the Allies hard running and pressure is showing signs of dropping off, they have been great in that department.

Lombard solid, Annable inside, Smith still winning the ruck, Uwland plenty of run.

SA Sharp probably the best despite only playing half the game in the middle, SA look much better when he’s in the centre and not at half back. He’s always one step ahead.

Ben Campo good, Hasting trying hard and Bradley continues his great game. He’s been super.

Annable is as good a ball winner in tight as I've seen since Rowell came through.

His kicking is concerning, but almost doesn't matter given how good he is at getting his hands on it. At AFL level he can just be a Priddis, Mitchell or Scott West type who just releases good players through handballing. If he could kick he would go #1 next year he is that good.

Wealth in general has changed footy. More often than not, the best players are the ones with money as a kid, male or female. Victoria APS is overrepresented. I don’t blame the kids for taking scholarships or their parents’ wealth but it does create inequality. There are few kids who’ve grown up rough on AFL lists, especially in recent times.

Tasmania bucks this trend to a degree where the best private schools for footy are working class (especially one) and the public system sees kids drafted. Eg. Chayce Jones, Seth Campbell, Colby McKercher, etc went through the public system for their entire education. The elite private schools have seen very few AFL or AFLW players drafted recently - I think Mia King is the only example. Think that it’s worth exploring ways to make footy more equitable regardless of school (I don’t want to start a private v public debate).

It’s bewildering the AFL makes no attempt to properly market the game to international communities here. It’s not like migrants can’t play footy and it’s not like they’re not in the AFL.
The reason so many kids get drafted out of the APS is because the APS schools pinch them if they’re any good.

My son played school footy with George Wardlaw until he left on an APS scholarship in year 10. It isn‘t because they’re wealthy, it‘s because they’re good at footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reason so many kids get drafted out of the APS is because the APS schools pinch them if they’re any good.

My son played school footy with George Wardlaw until he left on an APS scholarship in year 10. It isn‘t because they’re wealthy, it‘s because they’re good at footy.
That’s true but wealth plays a part. Some of the families are loaded. Additionally, some of the kids who might go unnoticed if they were at other schools get noticed because the scouts are there.

Kayle Gerryn on the bench, some interesting moves by WA, they do this it would not surprise me if the Allies cream them.
When they do stuff like this you don’t get to see the players full potential as they are playing out of position, Urqkuet has been dominating in the middle for Easts, and Malakai is a dangerous forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back