Preview 2024 Rd 7 Carlton v Geelong Saturday 27 April 4:35PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over to the Game Day thread …

The second issue is massive though - we are often guilty of kicking long to our half forward line. The opposition obviously setup their structures to encourage this option. If we do this against the Cats they're going to capitalise.
I think we have the luxury of having the ‘down the boundary/wing’ to the HF option but we also have the 45 option kick to the more central tall. This means we have 2 CHF leading up at the ball, with Charlie deep. Very hard to defend against 3 marking forwards that spread 25-30m apart!

Defensively I think Pitto has a huge roll this week with filling the ‘get out’ kick to Cameron. We need to force Cameron up to the wing chasing a kick, gives Weiters a huge advantage against Hawkins and allows him to roam off him…

Well given Stewart is injured, that at least takes care of one of the big issues.

The second issue is massive though - we are often guilty of kicking long to our half forward line. The opposition obviously setup their structures to encourage this option. If we do this against the Cats they're going to capitalise.
Thought I'd covered off on that, maybe didn't make it clear enough. Geelong play this 'spare man in defence' system brilliantly. To the point where when Stewart went off, Zac Guthrie played the role perfectly. I expect him to be playing this role against us, so hoping we have put some serious planning into it.

I think we have the luxury of having the ‘down the boundary/wing’ to the HF option but we also have the 45 option kick to the more central tall. This means we have 2 CHF leading up at the ball, with Charlie deep. Very hard to defend against 3 marking forwards that spread 25-30m apart!

Defensively I think Pitto has a huge roll this week with filling the ‘get out’ kick to Cameron. We need to force Cameron up to the wing chasing a kick, gives Weiters a huge advantage against Hawkins and allows him to roam off him…
I have seen us play Geelong at the MCG the last 10 times. What stands out is how helpless Charlie and Harry have looked over the years, with Geelongs defenders bodying them at the contest and allowing a Blicavs or SDK or Stewart or a ruckman to mark the kick uncontested.

Down the line against a Chris Scott coached team will not work...it never has.

Well given Stewart is injured, that at least takes care of one of the big issues.

I really liked how we changed it up though against GWS, plenty of overlap run and short passes to hit leading players.

Reckon Voss will show that over and over and over again, it’s ok to go long when it’s 50/50 up the field or under extreme pressure but they were just smarter last week than they’ve been.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thought I'd covered off on that, maybe didn't make it clear enough. Geelong play this 'spare man in defence' system brilliantly. To the point where when Stewart went off, Zac Guthrie played the role perfectly. I expect him to be playing this role against us, so hoping we have put some serious planning into it.
Ah yup agreed then.

I really liked how we changed it up though against GWS, plenty of overlap run and short passes to hit leading players.

Reckon Voss will show that over and over and over again, it’s ok to go long when it’s 50/50 or under extreme pressure but they were just smarter last week than they’ve been.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah Vossy has shown flexibility which has impressed many of us I think.

We're winning in different ways. I think we still run into problems against uncontested possession teams like Freo and Adelaide...and are yet to figure this out.

Those sort of teams tend to be compensating for talent though so I think it's less of an issue against the other contenders.

We'll see against Geelong in any case.

Are you suggesting Acres run with Cameron 😳

Acres is a weapon for us and vital in our structure. You don’t give him a job he isn’t suited to and also lose what he brings to our side

Kemp has the engine to stay with Cameron. Key like always is pressure through the midfield. Give Cameron lots of ball it won’t matter who’s on him. Deny him ball and we win
Do agree with most of what you say Soap. However the idea of Acres running with Cameron when he goes high. Has a lot of appeal to me. Blake for all his great abilities, that we all admire, is still a butcher. By him performing this selfless role, he will not have kick it as much. Thereby improving the kicking efficiency of the whole team.

From what Weiters said, he said he (Weiters) is touch and go but confident he will play, see how he pulls up on Thursday. In regards to Zac, said he (Weiters) has received a cork in the achilles and that led to him doing his calf during the pre-season, and with Zac even though at the moment he's touch and go to play... with his history... You can guess what he kinda was implying.
This was really hard reading 😁

Anzac Day game between filth and drug cheats will likely draw 90k at the g.

It would be nice but I Doubt we’ll get anywhere near 90k at our game.

I suggested 70 but others perhaps think more.I think the time scheduling and a Cats home game will keep it low ish.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do agree with most of what you say Soap. However the idea of Acres running with Cameron when he goes high. Has a lot of appeal to me. Blake for all his great abilities, that we all admire, is still a butcher. By him performing this selfless role, he will not have kick it as much. Thereby improving the kicking efficiency of the whole team.

Your opinion. No issue

Makes no sense to me and I see Acres as a vital part of our success mainly because the way he covers ground back and forward. Personally, I think many underrate him

Just my opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williams has such a poor history with injury that we are best to rest him for as long as it takes to get him back to 100%. Should not risk long term injury.

Don't mind Cincotta in for Williams; he will be desperate to show his best. Has been in our best when he's played in the VFL so is ready to go.

I'm sure the coaching staff will have a plan for Cameron, but it could be a case of letting him run up the ground, then picking him up when he runs into the forward line. Not sure we have any player who can run with him everywhere, the entire game. Could see him being too clever for Kemp and losing him through aerobic capacity, burst running, or losing him in traffic.

Our main two things to plan for are their spare man in defence (Stewart) and how they set up when teams kick down the line to the HFF.

Watching Geelong on the weekend was actually quite impressive how they all know their system so well, that when Stewart went off with concussion, Zac Guthrie rolled over and played that role brilliantly.

The last dozen times we've played them we have fallen into THEIR plan..dump/thoughtless kicks into their zone (their ruckman, Blicavs, SDK and their half back flankers who mark it uncontested), then, when we do beat this zone we kick it thougtlessly to the unmanned Stewart, who is roaming free.

We have to move the ball by hand, overlap run and precision kicks. Otherwise we will lose to this mob again..
If we do kick it long it is important that H,CC,TDK are on the move and we kick it to their advantage.

Big improvement and best I’ve seen our I50 kicking connection with our forwards for a long time, our forwards were finally leading correctly at the kicking distributors, there was a great mix of leading directly at the kicker, using angles into available space or kicking to an area to the advantage of the forward to run onto the ball without just bombing it away…

Some of our kicking connections to these areas were of a very good quality and just makes a huge difference in being less predictable and more efficient & dangerous when we have all our forwards sharing the loads in spreading & presenting when they can…

We’re going to need to continue and improve this area of our game if we are to keep improving as a team, it’s an understatement that it has been something that we have been really poor at for a while while not seeming to even get the basics of it right, it is a crucial aspect in todays footy for our evolving style of football addressing and adding the necessary layers we need…

I have seen us play Geelong at the MCG the last 10 times. What stands out is how helpless Charlie and Harry have looked over the years, with Geelongs defenders bodying them at the contest and allowing a Blicavs or SDK or Stewart or a ruckman to mark the kick uncontested.

Down the line against a Chris Scott coached team will not work...it never has.

Exactly my point!

Give them the look of down the line and then kick it on the 45 angle. Defenders are not trained to stop it.

Anyone else get the feeling that we aren’t being told the truth re: Williams?
Monty Python Fight GIF

Seems to be a few people being told that players will/will not be playing.

I find that surprising that we would know on a Tuesday, and disappointing that the club is leaking this information to fans.

I like us holding this information close. Call memos school 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back