Preview 2024 Rd 7 Carlton v Geelong Saturday 27 April 4:35PM AEST @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over to the Game Day thread …

Have to admit I don’t see it either. Carroll is a small, light-framed inside midfielder. I’m not sure where that fits in our team long-term. (Or any team sadly)

I think he has natural ball winning abilities and a knack for clearances. He's a little bit Cripps-Lite though, without the speed of mind and vision.

He's very much next man in, rather than best 22 when they are all there. No point of difference. Needs to bulk up a little bit more.

Well Cripps doesn’t have a left…so wouldn’t condemn him!
It is a good thing. I reckon 100% of Cripps' left-foot kicks in 2023 were turnovers, often under no pressure. He's clearly been told to put it away, and he looks much better for it. Is certainly much more damaging when taking first option, rather than trying to do too much.

My biggest worry with Carroll is lack of polish. I know he's still only young but... he often fumbles when the heat is on, and he's not an especially reliable kick even on his left. Perhaps he will improve, but I suspect "good ordinary player" is his ceiling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he has natural ball winning abilities and a knack for clearances. He's a little bit Cripps-Lite though, without the speed of mind and vision.

He's very much next man in, rather than best 22 when they are all there. No point of difference. Needs to bulk up a little bit more.
I think at the moment his best position is half forward.

I suspect he won't make it as a pure midfielder but going into the CB on rotation as a Half Forward, will probably help to develop him and give the club a real idea whether he has the ability in the future

The other problem is his defensive work as a Half Forward needs work too.

Will be interesting to see where he is at at years end considering its his 4th year with the club

Cincotta.?
I'm of the mind that he should come into the team this week

I'd really rather not risk Williams. It's a long season and with his history with his Achilles, I'd rather he rest it for a week or two, in order to play a full season. Having him fit a firing for finals should be the aim, not worrying about a Round 7 clash with Geelong

I'm of the mind that he should come into the team this week

I'd really rather not risk Williams. It's a long season and with his history with his Achilles, I'd rather he rest it for a week or two, in order to play a full season. Having him fit a firing for finals should be the aim, not worrying about a Round 7 clash with Geelong

Agree rest him for Cincotta.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bare minimum:

OUT: Young
IN: Cincotta

I wouldn't be opposed to dropping Pittonet for a Binns debut. Give Ollie a spell as the sub.

Cripps and Walsh played out of their skin in terms of output, though Walsh got over-involved in some chains of possession to our detriment. I really think Cripps made Pittonet look good more so than the other way around.

Geelong are relentlessly pressuring to force turnovers and then they're scoring from pretty much every avenue that could bob up. There's no match up for Young, and we're going to need more run and pressure to be competitive.

Have to admit I don’t see it either. Carroll is a small, light-framed inside midfielder. I’m not sure where that fits in our team long-term. (Or any team sadly)
Wiki says 187cm and I reckon lean rather than light framed.

Will be Plenty strong enough as an inside mid in due course

Bare minimum:

OUT: Young
IN: Cincotta

I wouldn't be opposed to dropping Pittonet for a Binns debut. Give Ollie a spell as the sub.

Cripps and Walsh played out of their skin in terms of output, though Walsh got over-involved in some chains of possession to our detriment. I really think Cripps made Pittonet look good more so than the other way around.

Geelong are relentlessly pressuring to force turnovers and then they're scoring from pretty much every avenue that could bob up. There's no match up for Young, and we're going to need more run and pressure to be competitive.
The 2 ruck plan won't work every game, prepared to watch it's evolvement with how it affects TDK and Harry's games for awhile.(thought they looked patchy in the first half but it clicked after half time against GWS)
Last week was Pitto's best game for Carlton, obviously needs to be fit, play ultra aggressive and spend 70% game time to succeed.
Hope Voss is prepared to rest him if/when he doesn't meet these requirements.

I really like Binns, noticed in his interview during the VFL game (close up vision), he's got a bit of 'puppy fat" about him, unlike Oli who's body is more hardened and sinewy for players of similar weight.

Carroll developed in the vfl now given senior opportunities and developing, playing in winning sides next to Cripps etc will only fast track his development. He is being allowed to develop where he should be developing. Not a Brownlow medallist not a number one draft pick not a high priced recruit. Please stop potting him.
Word of the day guesses?

Carroll developed in the vfl now given senior opportunities and developing, playing in winning sides next to Cripps etc will only fast track his development. He is being allowed to develop where he should be developing. Not a Brownlow medallist not a number one draft pick not a high priced recruit. Please stop potting him.
Word of the day guesses?

I thought he looked pretty good when he came on in 2nd half to replace Williams.

He will be a goodin, give him some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back