Player Watch #24: Ben Griffiths - retired effectively immediately

Will he play for the Tigers at AFL level again?

• Yes

Votes: 54 32.1%
  • No

Votes: 114 67.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

well, Griff played 1.4 to Chol's 1 (Griff 105, Chol 75) % gametime

and to be fair to Griff he injured himself early in JLT 2 but wasn't put in the sheds as i feel he should have been which boosted his time played moreso than anything he could do effectively.

As another poster pointed out in the autopsy (I forget who) Jack was double and triple teamed whilst Chol was left to roam a bit freer, Griff by comparison tends to cop his man and a floating player who pushes back - contest that he got injured in was a double team.

Griff offers more physically and potential to cause damage on the scoreboard, Chol is still too raw to hold down the 2nd KPF position, Griff whilst maligned always attracts a player and quite commonly, 2, otherwise they'd regret it on the scoreboard.

Chol may be better than Griff in time to come, but he's not ready by a long mile

I agree Chol is too raw to hold down CHF which only highlights the farcical situation down at Tigerland that we go into a season with only two likely AFL calibre key forwards (possibly one when you consider Griff has played way mo9re shockers and stinkers than he has good ones).
But still the excuses come for #24 ... injuries, Vickery playing ahead of him, Riewoldt, conditions were too wet for forwards, too dry etc.
I would argue whether Griff offers more physicality as I am yet to see it this year.
We'll get to see Chol soon enough me thinks when Griff goes down with his usual three-four week injury, which will only further underpin the parlous state of our key talls.

Last edited:
I agree Chol is too raw to hold down CHF which only highlights the farcical situation down at Tigerland that we go into a season with only two like3loy AFL calibre key forwards (possibly one when you consider Griff has played way mo9re shockers and stinkers than he has good ones).
But still the excuses come for #24 ... injuries, Vickery playing ahead of him, Riewoldt, conditions were too wet for forwrads, too dry etc.
I would argue whether Griff offers more physicality as I am yet to see it this year.
We'll get to see Chol soon enough me thinkis when Griff goes down with his usual three-four week injury, which will only further underpin the parlous state of our key talls.
Lol.

the small forwards at ground level would be free but with 3 opposition players flying its tricky to bring to ground.

why to jack? well when the forward line is flooded, the smalls have to be taking the shot from 40 odd metres out (IMHO) and its not always that straightforward - players not running into that space, not lowering the eyes, et al

there's not much to really take out of this JLT game compared to the first 2, was not a very good game from either side
What i'm saying is if his tripled teamed the other forwards should be free elsewhere and not where jack leads so therefore why kick it to jack with three opponents rather than someone else that is free.
The idea with the jlt is to try different things to work things better than what we have been doing and although we try new players the same culprits that have been letting us down are playing all 3 games. Eg your concas b ellis hunt so on.

What i'm saying is if his tripled teamed the other forwards should be free elsewhere and not where jack leads so therefore why kick it to jack with three opponents rather than someone else that is free.
The idea with the jlt is to try different things to work things better than what we have been doing and although we try new players the same culprits that have been letting us down are playing all 3 games. Eg your concas b ellis hunt so on.
i agree, during the port game where they were flooding the backline i stated i wanted the players to lower their eyes and go for the 'mosquito fleet' small forwards.

It feels alot like its a bit of panic to just bomb it long to the talls and hope they clunk it, i want them to encourage the smalls to work towards the 50 arc to have a shot from 40 out on the run, no point going long to the crowded pack with every man and his dog hanging off jack and griff

I think what people prefer from chol is the look of work rate and second efforts. Griff just needs to start being a little more useful when the ball hits the deck
Griff's second and third efforts at ground level are excellent.

Of which there are plenty of Griff's worst efforts to choose from.
Most of which were still better than any of Chol's VFL efforts.

Griffo vs Chol......

Now that's a conundrum

One is no good and no hope of being any good...

The other is no good but is young, athletic and enthusiastic with potential?

Unfortunately there is no solution to this conundrum as we don't have the tall cattle either physically ready or just not good enough.
Amazing eight years into a so called rebuild. Still couldn't see the logic of Stengle and Bolton ( no hard feelings towards them as they look like solid prospects) considering we had Lloyd Rioli and Butler Costagna on the list. Maybe just one more small , but ??
Yeah people will argue who we could have picked and wouldn't have been ready. Still one year closer than next year. This isn't a one off year mistake, but an eight year one bc of TV and now Griff.

Last edited:
He's not ready, but has become an option only on need.
Yes. Needs to get fitter. Has improved in this respect over the preseason but still is below where he needs to be. Also will really benefit from another preseason. The perfect project player. If it all clicks he'll be a beauty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Distinct feeling that Griff isnt going to make it. Which is a shame, it was always great dreaming of him roosting goals from 70m

Yeah the problem with that is he very rarely kicks long these days,even when say 30 out he doesn't kick through the ball if you get my drift

Unfortunately there is no solution to this conundrum as we don't have the tall cattle either physically ready or just not good enough.
Amazing eight years into a so called rebuild. Still couldn't see the logic of Stengle and Bolton ( no hard feelings towards them as they look like solid prospects) considering we had Lloyd Rioli and Butler Costagna on the list. Maybe just one more small , but ??
Yeah people will argue who we could have picked and wouldn't have been ready. Still one year closer than next year. This isn't a one off year mistake, but an eight year one bc of TV and now Griff.

You are correct. I have been calling for us to draft KPP players since before we drafted Conca and we've overlooked many good KPP players in that time. However, I have never seen a draft as bareft of talent for KPP types as the most recent and cannot see a tall that was worthy of an early pick. It's the only year I have been okay with the fact we went small. The only KPP players of any note were tied to academies and we could not have got our hands on them.

I don't consider myself a Griff apologist and he has been disappointing but I doubt that any of us want to see Chol in for Griff round 1. This would give Carlton a leg up. In 12months time the situation may be very different but not right now.
Agree as Chol will get plenty of chances during the year when as usual Griff is injured.

You are correct. I have been calling for us to draft KPP players since before we drafted Conca and we've overlooked many good KPP players in that time. However, I have never seen a draft as bareft of talent for KPP types as the most recent and cannot see a tall that was worthy of an early pick. It's the only year I have been okay with the fact we went small. The only KPP players of any note were tied to academies and we could not have got our hands on them.
You don't rate Battle?

Given the lack of options on our list maybe we should have looked at Drew Petrie for one year

At 192cm he is a little undersized for KP, great HFF or third tall though
Pavlich 192, N Riewoldt 193.
I would have liked him at the Tigers.
I've read on here that next years draft has a stronger KPF group. If that's true I would have liked to see the club bring in a big body like Petrie to help Jack for 12 months. Call me optimistic but I haven't completely written of Griffiths. Let's hope he thrives on the greater role he will have this season

Back