AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan - In against The Gold Coast - 1/6

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those making the argument that Goldstein is close to the finish as a reason Bryan could stay - yes, but the same argument could be made last year, where Phillips was “close to the end” and Goldstein wasn’t even a factor. Circumstances change all the time.

Debating who he would be the number 1 ruck for it futile in my opinion - at the end of the day, if clubs are coming calling with the offer (which there are enough rumblings that they both did last year and are again) I’d go if I were him. It’s just logical, and practical.

Haven’t seen it confirmed/denied anywhere, but I firmly believe he would’ve left last year if he knew we were recruiting Goldstein - I know Goldstein only committed to us after Bryan had already re-signed so that makes sense, but if Bryan knew Goldstein was coming, I don’t think he signs that contract.

I suspect most of us thought Bryan would come up another level physically, which he hasn't really demonstrated much yet in the VFL this year. He's still pretty young as ruckmen go, as Goldstein is showing, once you have the necessary size you can play for a long time.

I don't see Bryan going anywhere at the end of the year. The only way that could happen is if we initiated the trade. But he's progressing too well for us to want to do that.

Goldstein looks amazingly good for his age but is one injury away from finished. The cliff will come quickly.

But if I was Nick Bryan I wouldn't be aiming to be a number 2. He won't be aspiring to a journeyman Andrew Phillips career. He should be eyeing off 150 games and a premiership medal.

The question is whether the club is open to Bryan one day being number 1 over Draper, who has been heavily backed in so far.

I reckon Bryan has huge upside based on his skills. There is a path for him to be better than Draper.

It's really whether he finds the appetite to properly throw his weight around. I'm hoping this just magically comes out as he approaches "man size". Last few weeks in the VFL are a good step forward.

Or he could ask for a trade…

He should be aiming for no.1 spot for sure, but 2 is better than 3.

You could argue he’s our form ruckman at the moment - and still can’t get a look in.

Again, as a fan I really hope he stays, but after 5 years I wouldn’t blame him at all for having a look around.

Right now? Yes, I'd want all the games I can get.

But right now is not relevant. It's the end of the season that is important.

What do you mean by that exactly? As in playing games the back half of the season is important? Or are you talking about the offseason?

He's third in line to a guy that is on the fringe of retirement - Goldy has been surprisingly good this year but when the end comes, it comes fast - and a guy that keeps breaking down with injury and probably won't ever play as a sole ruckman.

Where else would he be a starting ruckman right now?

Adelaide (O'Brien), Gold Coast (Witts), Melbourne (Gawn), Brisbane (McInerney), Sydney (Grundy), Port (Soldo), Richmond (Nankervis), Bulldogs (English), St Kilda (Marshall), GWS (Briggs), Fremantle (Darcy & Jackson) are all clearly a no both now and next season (or more).

Which leaves;

Geelong (Stanley, Conway, Blicavs)
Hawthorn (Meek)
North Melbourne (Xerri)
Essendon (Goldstein, Draper)
West Coast (Williams, Flynn)
Collingwood (Cameron, Cox)
Carlton (Pittonet, De Koning)

I wouldn't say he's clearly ahead of any of those right now to be a guaranteed starting ruck. Of that list the most likely to drop away next year is Goldstein & Stanley IMO. In which case he's got Conway & Blicavs versus Draper.

As casey18 said though, the same was said two years ago when he was behind Flip.

Whether Goldy retires at the end of this year or next, are we just going to sign another ruck who leapfrogs him in the pecking order?

I don’t think it’d take a no.1 spot for him to move - if a Melbourne says you’re next in line after Gawn, does he look at that?

Yeh but it’s not like goldy is 25 and he’s going to behind him forever, he was brought in as a stop gap to help the inconsistent / injury prone draper and the not yet developed Bryan. We couldn’t afford to potentially be forced to play another season largely with a ruck not yet capable of mixing it with the big dogs. Is Bryan going to walk into a starting role at any other club? No probably not, so what is the point of leaving now.. when he could potentially be the number 1 soon enough.

I just think the timing’s off - if Goldy goes around again, Bryan sits in the twos for another year and all of a sudden he’s 24.

I don’t think it’s about walking into a starting role at another club - I assume he’d be thinking moving clubs would be the way he’d get to play AFL games.

I just think the timing’s off - if Goldy goes around again, Bryan sits in the twos for another year and all of a sudden he’s 24.

I don’t think it’s about walking into a starting role at another club - I assume he’d be thinking moving clubs would be the way he’d get to play AFL games.
If he’s not getting a starting role at another club, he’s playing in the 2s though.. why would you move to an other club to play 2s. Even if goldy goes around again I doubt he’ll have the petrol tickets left to play a full season. He’s close to the end now, he’s starting to tire and it’s only May. Let’s see how he’s doing in August

As casey18 said though, the same was said two years ago when he was behind Flip.

Whether Goldy retires at the end of this year or next, are we just going to sign another ruck who leapfrogs him in the pecking order?

I don’t think it’d take a no.1 spot for him to move - if a Melbourne says you’re next in line after Gawn, does he look at that?

Why would Melbourne say that to a guy who’s never proven he can hold down a number 1 ruck spot at AFL level? Gawn is only 32 and still playing good football - Goldy is 36 this year.

His path to playing AFL remains clear at Essendon, if he can’t elevate his game to overtake a Goldy turning 37 mid next season, who’s he going to overtake elsewhere?

Or he could ask for a trade…

He should be aiming for no.1 spot for sure, but 2 is better than 3.

You could argue he’s our form ruckman at the moment - and still can’t get a look in.

Again, as a fan I really hope he stays, but after 5 years I wouldn’t blame him at all for having a look around.
What I’m saying is that him asking for a trade is not going to result in him being traded

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand you concerns, but the one thing I’m pretty confident in Brad‘s ability to communicate to these young guys and let them know where they sit.

And if Brad isn’t having those conversations, then he should definitely think about leaving because he has no place in the future the club.

Why would Melbourne say that to a guy who’s never proven he can hold down a number 1 ruck spot at AFL level? Gawn is only 32 and still playing good football - Goldy is 36 this year.

His path to playing AFL remains clear at Essendon, if he can’t elevate his game to overtake a Goldy turning 37 mid next season, who’s he going to overtake elsewhere?

Not guarantee it to him, but say the position is yours if you earn it. He’d also be Melbourne’s second ruck right now, instead of being third in line.

Goldy just got absolutely touched up on the weekend by Xerri - and Bryan’s had 25 stats, 40 hitouts and 2 goals. The form is there.

It probably would. Most players who ask get their wish. I hope he doesn’t from a fan perspective - but if he does, I’d be fairly confident they’d move him.
I know most do, but some don’t.

If he keeps owning the VFL Essendon would be crazy to trade Bryan at this point in his career. He could end this year deeply annoyed at the club, be retained against his will then play 20 games next year and be a bomber for life.

I still think Bryan will end up better than Draper, especially now an injury pattern is starting to emerge. Bryan's better in the air and delivers cleaner ruck taps. And now VFL watchers are noticing improved physicality as well. He's getting restless. Goldy's tired, Draper's injured, Jones likely suspended. It's time to play him, surely.

I still think Bryan will end up better than Draper, especially now an injury pattern is starting to emerge. Bryan's better in the air and delivers cleaner ruck taps. And now VFL watchers are noticing improved physicality as well. He's getting restless. Goldy's tired, Draper's injured, Jones likely suspended. It's time to play him, surely.

Yep, he should get a run this week and rest Goldy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not guarantee it to him, but say the position is yours if you earn it. He’d also be Melbourne’s second ruck right now, instead of being third in line.

Goldy just got absolutely touched up on the weekend by Xerri - and Bryan’s had 25 stats, 40 hitouts and 2 goals. The form is there.

So similar to here? The position is his if he earns it?

This is probably the first week you'd say his VFL form was banging the door down whilst Goldy struggled. Which is exactly what we want from him. Lift your game. Be better than a 35 year old Goldstein.

People seem to want us to play Bryan based on him not demanding selection through form, because he might go elsewhere and get games despite being worse than pretty much every other clubs starting ruckman?

It's a really weird line of argument. He's still young for a ruckman, hadn't come on physically as much at the start of the season as supporters would have hoped, and less than half way through the season hasn't yet played an AFL game. He's played a string of decent games at VFL level that haven't told us anything about him we hadn't seen, and has now finally produced a game that is genuinely starting to show that he could match it at AFL level right now.

He’d be silly to stay imo.

He’s 3rd in line and can’t get a game while he’s dominating VFL and our best ruck is out - in his 5th year.

I hope he stays simply because I rate him, but if I put myself in his shoes, I think it’d be a terrible decision career-wise to stay.
Depends if Goldy stays.
Let’s face it he should be close to prime next year. Draper gets injured all the time Goldy is near the end.
It will come down to where we see he is at . Given he is contracted it will be if Scott rates him or not.

You keep saying he should go but the landscape is still not clear. He is contracted and it will really be the end of this year that we will actually know if he is going to take the final step.
The inside word I hear is up until now he has not reached the level of physically they want from a ruck which is why Draper has still been in front of him.

I think he runs into the same problem somewhere else if he goes.
Who is taking him as number 1 ?
If he is really up to it he will be number 2 for us minimum.

Last edited:

That has worked well for those who have been so far .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back