AFL Player #33: Alwyn Davey Jr - Lindsay Griffith Rising Star

What is the preferred nickname for Alwyn Davey Jr?

• Froggy Jr

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Tadpole

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Flash

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

His output doesn't warrant staying in the team, but what he 'potentially' offers, and does in spurts, is pace and creativity that create chaos and opportunity. We don't have any other player really like it, and as soon as we go into our shell, we don't look great.

He stays for mine because if he can find the belief to belong, he will be a point of difference in the mix that is starting to look tasty.

I also agree and acknowledge pulling up from contests, and half hearted attempts need to be called out and stopped. Thought his last quarter was his best, and gave us something that kept us in it.

Picked on potential won't last long, so I hope we see the confidence rise soon.

Pressure is fine, but he can’t stay in the team for his pressure alone. Needs to find more of the ball, as he often looks like making something happen when he has it

Nick Kommer MK2 at the moment. Not sure he will be able to stay in the team when we get Guelfi and Perk back.
Would help if his so-called teammates stopped burning him.

The one they thumped it over his left shoulder when he had loads of space and was leading to his right? Just wrong footed by a bad kick is all that was.
Sorry man, but that's nonsense.

He was wrong-footed, but he had about 3 seconds to adjust.
I counted it, that's an eternity on a football field when a ball is coming your way.

(6.26 left to run in the 2nd quarter if anyone wants to look at it)

He's a lightly built late 2nd round small. He should be playing VFL until his body matures and he finds both confidence and form playing against men. The issue is playing in our VFL side seems to almost be counter productive for development and preparing for AFL (based on what I've read here).

Injuries dictate he plays, when guys like Perkins return them Davey should be one of the first dropped.

It's too early to put a line through him though.

Sorry man, but that's nonsense.

He was wrong-footed, but he had about 3 seconds to adjust.
I counted it, that's an eternity on a football field when a ball is coming your way.

(6.26 left to run in the 2nd quarter if anyone wants to look at it)
I am with you. Not the first time he has completely squibbed a contest. Needs to learn from this

He's a lightly built late 2nd round small. He should be playing VFL until his body matures and he finds both confidence and form playing against men. The issue is playing in our VFL side seems to almost be counter productive for development and preparing for AFL (based on what I've read here).

Injuries dictate he plays, when guys like Perkins return them Davey should be one of the first dropped.

It's too early to put a line through him though.
I’m on this line of thinking. He seems to be getting more hesitant not less hesitant - I get that the VFL is not going to help him pick up the pace of the game, but at least he can stay more on the outside whilst he gets another six months of strength and maturity.

Also, I think this discussion is very respectful - it won’t take too many more games like yesterday before the wolves come for him in places he will hear it.

Has good speed, does nice things with ball in hand and seems pretty clever to know how to work around / through traffic with movement or tapping the ball.

Sticking tackles is a function of strength as much as it is effort. He just looks too light to really nail them right now. Weight and strength will come with time, he’s not a powerhouse naturally but doesn’t look so slight he’ll struggle to gain weight over time either.

He just needs to keep playing at either level, working on his TOG% and get another preseason or two under his belt before we’ll see if he can get the strength to really make himself a menace.

I know but for me there where a few contests he did not want to be involved in that he should have . I flamed Cox for it and Tsatas so I have to stay consistent . I thought he dogged a few. My view of course. :cool:
He definitely did dog a few.

Back in the day it was a droppable offense, no questions asked. I’m not sure that’s true anymore but surely the coaches still “educate” players after incidents like those.

It’s rough but light/young players need to get to a stage where they realize that physical pain is better than embarrassment of dogging contests.

Your desire to be admired by coaches and supporters has to outweigh your fear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He definitely did dog a few.

Back in the day it was a droppable offense, no questions asked. I’m not sure that’s true anymore but surely the coaches still “educate” players after incidents like those.

It’s rough but light/young players need to get to a stage where they realize that physical pain is better than embarrassment of dogging contests.

Your desire to be admired by coaches and supporters has to outweigh your fear.
They dropped Tsatas.
There is still a part of me that would be happy if he played a few more so we can looked at his level of improvement but the general message from the Captain and the Coach is not about mistakes but all about process and effort.
If you look at most young Aboriginal small forwards they take 3 or 4 years to develop anyway so he still has plenty of scope.

Don't think he'll make it.

Reminds me of Jake Long; has some skills, but has a combination of poor decision making and lack of effort. Just don't think he'll piece it together.

I agree he pulled out of some important contests against Pies but I still think you play him. It is nice that we haven't been total crap this season (I was extremely concerned after the Port game) but the reality is that we are still miles away from really being in that top 4 range. This year was always about development, finding the right guys that can fill the multiple holes in our list.. the most glaring is small forward. Literally we have zero exciting small forwards.

Sometimes you just have to back a young kid in and hope you have read the talent right. The fastest way to get them to 50 games of experience is to select them to play 50 games. You know what guelf does.. we've seen it. We have seen what he brings. We dont' know what ADJ brings yet but there have been enough snippets to show that he could bring a lot to the team.

One of the most dangerous things that could derail this rebuild is thinking we are 'closer' than we are. We have seen that horror movie before.

Guelfi seems to have made it through a game unscathed so now there's a bit of pressure on ADJ to keep his spot in the senior side. First time in a long long while we've had some actual depth across a number of positions to keep blokes on their toes

He's played heavily managed minutes all season, even in his single VFL appearance.

It's a bit of a tough one to know how to manage. In reality he is not going to learn much of what he needs playing VFL. It's the patterns of defensive movement that are the most important part of what he can bring to the AFL team (and what are desperately needed given that we struggle with forward pressure). But I'd like for him to play 90% game time a few times at the lower level to build his match conditioning.

I'll give him a pass for yesterday. Gresham was woeful and it created a perfect storm of Collingwood breaking from our F50 with real speed. I can appreciate how difficult it would be to know what to do in that scenario. That indecision makes you look slow and second guess application which will end up making you look soft. I've not noticed contested application previously to be an issue. We have West Coast next week on an 8 day break. I think I give him that game and, if he struggles, send him back to the VFL until the bye.
But was Gresham woeful?

Seems to bit of this opinion going around.

17 possessions - in the Death Valley role (link between mids & forwards).
Apologies if I’ve miss heard, but I’m sure I heard he had team high goal assists.
Played his role well.

How footy has evolved :
  • No more player weights published
  • Removing skin folks measure for draftees

How BigFooty has evolved :
- Check out this terrible thread from 2006… just read the rank thread summary below
- Now BF goes after the underweighters like ADJ & Cox

Back