Delisted #34: Jake Long - Delisted - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

415lA6tRf5L._SY445_.jpg

Those with the photoshop skills will know what to do.

So many 'experts' on here willing to deride the club's faith in this kid. Why not celebrate the fact that he has another chance to fulfill his potential rather than glorifying a mythical pick 80-something-saviour? I'd back the club's insights into what he has to offer ahead of the very limited exposure the casual observe has been privy to. From the little I've seen of him he has some serious upside given a consistent run at it and further physical development.

So many 'experts' on here willing to deride the club's faith in this kid. Why not celebrate the fact that he has another chance to fulfill his potential rather than glorifying a mythical pick 80-something-saviour? I'd back the club's insights into what he has to offer ahead of the very limited exposure the casual observe has been privy to. From the little I've seen of him he has some serious upside given a consistent run at it and further physical development.
I'm excited! :thumbsu:

He was picked up in the 2014 rookie draft. 3 seasons not enough?
Sometimes it's not, no.

He played less in the years leading up to his draft. His footy development and body development are probably closer to a 19-20 year old than a 21-22 year old.

I imagine the choice revealed itself as such.
We can choose either a guy who we have 3 years of development in and put him on th e senior list (i imagine some of the reason he hasnt played much is because we had to elevate him before this year when an injury occured, he did have some good patches of form) and if he doesnt work out we have a list spot extra for next years super draft

OR

A kid at pick 80 odd in a shallow draft, that in reality will probably take - another 3 years to develop!

OR

Pick up a delisted free agent, which is risky as normally there is a reason they were delisted. Tell me is Freeman, Hammelman or elton any more likely to develop than Long, is Lennon, wellingham or prudden going to contribute any more to our best 22?

I would go with option 1. At least we know what we are getting and if it doesnt wlrk out its only a 1 year deal and we have an extra list spot for the 'superdraft',

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The kids dad is a norm Smith medalist for us. I have no issues with him getting a bit of preferential treatment and giving him an extra couple of years than someone that isn't.

Darcy Daniher and Jay Neagle got 4 years each. I reckon Longy can have 4 too.

I am no expert and am not one normally known on here for posting a serious opinion but I will deride the club's faith in Long without hesitation. Without doubt, this is one of the most perplexing list-management decisions that I have seen. I hope I am wrong but I have seen nothing to suggest he deserves a spot on the senior list. i thought the same thing last year and have seen nothing since to change my mind.

Also. Stewart Crameri.

I am no expert and am not one normally known on here for posting a serious opinion but I will deride the club's faith in Long without hesitation. Without doubt, this is one of the most perplexing list-management decisions that I have seen. I hope I am wrong but I have seen nothing to suggest he deserves a spot on the senior list. i thought the same thing last year and have seen nothing since to change my mind.

Also. Stewart Crameri.
He's got more upside than some kid we pick in the 6th round of a shallow draft, would be more likely to fit in at AFL level if needed next year than some kid in the 6th round and if he doesn't do any good next year we can delist and replace him in the 'super draft'. If we draft someone we're stuck with them for two years. Same deal with Merrett and McKernan.

Delisting those three would have been the more puzzling decision to be honest.

Also. Stewart Crameri.
The Old campaigner summed it up. And I think I gave my reasons succinctly. If he hasn't made a leap forward this time next year it's an easy cut. He's got a year to prove himself and he's been given a shot of confidence by not having to be re-drafted as a rookie this year.

I'm expecting a plethora of captain hindsights to appear if he doesn't make it but at this point in time I believe it's a sound move.

I want a Crameri too. But hes hard to find in No-Man's Land.

Anybody who pays attention to VFL "bests" deserves to have their opinions derided. I've seen players get 10 touches, 2 tackles and 0.2 get awarded BOG.

What do you think about Long eth-dog ?
If his surname was Williams nobody would object to his promotion.

The thing is, he's an extremely talented stick figure who has the defensive attitude, skills and speed to make it at AFL level, and was always a project player. With project players you have to ask several things when going into their 4th year:

1. Have they got any stand out AFL attributes that will serve them well at AFL level? Yes: Speed, skills and defensive nous.
2. Have they got a clear rate of improvement year upon year? Yes.
3. Are there any off field s**t that will probably come back to bite the club? No.

Best case scenario he pushes to be in the best 22 by end of next year, worst case scenario we delist and bring in a new draftee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back