Delisted #36: Michael Hartley - Joins Hawthorne via the preseason draft - 29/11

Remove this Banner Ad

semantics imho

are you trolling me?

36671f15-17fb-45fe-8165-8486720e0d00_x365.jpg

How many apples are in this picture?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard to know how these rule changes will pan out eventually but the Hartleys of the AFL world may just start being their team's most important player. Right now, kicking a behind is actually supposed to be worth three because of the ability for teams to lock it in their forward 50.

Kicking a behind now might start to be deemed a net negative if the guy who kicks it out can do a lace out pass to someone in the centre.

Forwards who can't kick straight will start to be seen as a massive liability and forward lines will need to be structured in a way to ensure the maximum number of easy shots rather than just leading to the boundary to take a relatively easy mark.

I don't mind the changes but I am not sure if they will be good for Essendon.

It's hard to know how these rule changes will pan out eventually but the Hartleys of the AFL world may just start being their team's most important player. Right now, kicking a behind is actually supposed to be worth three because of the ability for teams to lock it in their forward 50.

Kicking a behind now might start to be deemed a net negative if the guy who kicks it out can do a lace out pass to someone in the centre.

Forwards who can't kick straight will start to be seen as a massive liability and forward lines will need to be structured in a way to ensure the maximum number of easy shots rather than just leading to the boundary to take a relatively easy mark.

I don't mind the changes but I am not sure if they will be good for Essendon.

Defenders and coaches will adapt, I don’t think it’ll that big a disadvantage missing a goal

Him & Sam Collins should be playing 22 games at an AFL club next year.

i hope hartley plays 22 with us and takes the kickouts.

Won't be with us. Not sure why he'd stay with us just to play in the VFL. There should be a guaranteed job out there for him despite not having seen if his improvement in his game translates to AFL, there is enough there for a club who is in need to bolster their defence to offer him a multi-year deal.

Surely Hartley is in the long term plan. Could easily see him and Francis being the 2 KPDs.

Also, as some have said Hooker could fall of a cliff. Then Hartley is ready made 196cm non-rake

It's not like Hooker has pace to lose. People talk like Cale Hooker is 35 and is about to drop off. He turns 30 next month, and probably has at the very least 3 years of decent football ahead of him. Hartley would be insane to be happy to be a depth/VFL player for us when there is jobs out there for him that's going to get him paid, and have security.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back