Player Watch #37 Matthew Parker - Returned home to WA effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

This. He cost us nothing and we need depth it’s not like we are paying him 750k a year

We have plenty of depth in his position. Caddy, Baker, Stack, Lambert, Graham, Bolton and Martin all play midfield/forward. Ralphsmith and Cumberland are two who could also be used in a similar role.

We need genuine small forward options of which Parker is not one of them. List clogger.

We have plenty of depth in his position. Caddy, Baker, Stack, Lambert, Graham, Bolton and Martin all play midfield/forward. Ralphsmith and Cumberland are two who could also be used in a similar role.

We need genuine small forward options of which Parker is not one of them. List clogger.
Those guys aren’t depth they are best 22 and Cumberland and Ralphsmith are still young and outside players
Parker is a Mature body

Let’s say we cop a few injury’s next year and we need to someone to come in and play a role
Who are you picking?
Left or right?

52413154-7DF9-42E4-BEDA-A87302223AE7.jpeg 26F7944D-9DE8-44BD-ADC6-2EE8BF496D0D.jpeg C2549F6D-A32E-4F46-B00E-A58299ED4231.jpeg EB946ACB-F24A-4B5A-9FF8-C7A6EA2567DA.jpeg C509488F-776B-4F6C-9F32-0EE591EF5781.jpeg

Last edited:
Those guys aren’t depth they are best 22 and Cumberland and Ralphsmith are still young and outside players
Parker is a Mature body

Let’s say we cop a few injury’s next year and we need to someone to come in and play a role
Who are you picking?
Left or right?

View attachment 1251804View attachment 1251805View attachment 1251806View attachment 1251807View attachment 1251808

Im picking our 2021 first round draftees, or Jack Ross or Thomson Dow or Will Martyn to come in and play a midfield role allowing someone like Bolton or Edwards to spend more minutes forward. More than one way to skin a cat. Im not wasting more time playing someone who is going to be 26, who has the worst disposal of anyone on our list and is not going to take us forward.

If Josh Caddy gets traded then maybe the depth argument might hold up but whilst we have him sitting there we don't need another player over 25 taking up a list spot.

Im picking our 2021 first round draftees, or Jack Ross or Thomson Dow or Will Martyn to come in and play a midfield role allowing someone like Bolton or Edwards to spend more minutes forward. More than one way to skin a cat. Im not wasting more time playing someone who is going to be 26, who has the worst disposal of anyone on our list and is not going to take us forward.

If Josh Caddy gets traded then maybe the depth argument might hold up but whilst we have him sitting there we don't need another player over 25 taking up a list spot.
Compare caddy’s and Parker’s stats for the year (they played a similar amount of a games) and get back to me about who the better depth option is

Compare caddy’s and Parker’s stats for the year (they played a similar amount of a games) and get back to me about who the better depth option is

I mean its Caddy and its not even close and that is with Caddy having a s**t year playing out of position. Caddy argument grows further when you ignore the first couple of games when Parker first arrived with a point to prove compared to his final couple of games where the effort had already dropped and his bang average footballing ability became more abundant. Lets not even start on Caddy 171 game career to spud Parker being delisted by the saints.

I would be keen to get Caddy wages of our books but as it stands he contracted for season 2022, we have 7 picks currently in the first three rounds of this years draft, we have absolutely zero need to extend Parker.

I mean its Caddy and its not even close and that is with Caddy having a sh*t year playing out of position. Caddy argument grows further when you ignore the first couple of games when Parker first arrived with a point to prove compared to his final couple of games where the effort had already dropped and his bang average footballing ability became more abundant. Lets not even start on Caddy 171 game career to spud Parker being delisted by the saints.

I would be keen to get Caddy wages of our books but as it stands he contracted for season 2022, we have 7 picks currently in the first three rounds of this years draft, we have absolutely zero need to extend Parker.
So you think we won’t have any injuries in 2022 and need players ready to step up and play a role with a mature body and AFL experience?

just checked the waffle GF results and it appears 'parksy' had a quiet game with only 10 touches and giving away 4 free kicks ..ouch..anyone see the game? and thoughts please.

Started on the ball and looked likely but then played most of the game in the forward line - competed hard but had no influence - gave away clumsy frees for high tackles / in the back a bit like at AFL level

So you think we won’t have any injuries in 2022 and need players ready to step up and play a role with a mature body and AFL experience?

I already told you we have plenty of depth in his position and in the event of injury we can play the likes of Bolton and Edwards forward more.

I already told you we have plenty of depth in his position and in the event of injury we can play the likes of Bolton and Edwards forward more.
But Parker it’s literally our best current option that falls under “appropriate”depth and we wouldn’t need to resort to playing guys out of position to use him

He’s on the rookie list on minimum chips he is the perfect depth player for us
If he doesn’t play a sr game next year that’s fantastic but if needed he would be a better option to play a role than most on our list due to his flexibility and age profile

I remember your melts pretty clearly the night we drafted Parker, for whatever reason you simply just seem to not like him and are letting emotions get in the way of logic

But Parker it’s literally our best current option that falls under “appropriate”depth and we wouldn’t need to resort to playing guys out of position to use him

He’s on the rookie list on minimum chips he is the perfect depth player for us
If he doesn’t play a sr game next year that’s fantastic but if needed he would be a better option to play a role than most on our list due to his flexibility and age profile

I remember your melts pretty clearly the night we drafted Parker, for whatever reason you simply just seem to not like him and are letting emotions get in the way of logic

Minus the fact that he isn't sure. Caddy is a better option. Stack is a better option. We have guys who are going to pushing for spots in midfield if they can prove themselves worthy then it makes to play guys like Bolton and Edwards forward more often who are also better options. RCD cementing his spot in midfield and pushing Bolton to spend more time forward where he can potentially kick 40 goals in a season.

The perfect depth player is someone who comes in and threatens to take over another players spot in the 22 not someone who is there for emergency.

If I melt there is always a good reason for it. Parker 6 fairly awful games for us last season was more than enough evidence to prove me right, was operating at 48% kicking efficiency in his first three games playing in midfield. He did me a bigger favour yesterday with a 10 disposal game in a grand final. But by all means tell me the logic in giving him another year to a 26 year old who has had three years in the AFL system and is dishing out 10 disposal games in the biggest game of his life.

Minus the fact that he isn't sure. Caddy is a better option. Stack is a better option. We have guys who are going to pushing for spots in midfield if they can prove themselves worthy then it makes to play guys like Bolton and Edwards forward more often who are also better options. RCD cementing his spot in midfield and pushing Bolton to spend more time forward where he can potentially kick 40 goals in a season.

The perfect depth player is someone who comes in and threatens to take over another players spot in the 22 not someone who is there for emergency.

If I melt there is always a good reason for it. Parker 6 fairly awful games for us last season was more than enough evidence to prove me right, was operating at 48% kicking efficiency in his first three games playing in midfield. He did me a bigger favour yesterday with a 10 disposal game in a grand final. But by all means tell me the logic in giving him another year to a 26 year old who has had three years in the AFL system and is dishing out 10 disposal games in the biggest game of his life.

… but he has been reported to have been re-signed as a rookie, so you can save your campaign to have him delisted for 12 months 👍🏻

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone watch the game yesterday? Reckon our list managers would look at that and question the re-signing of him. Struggled in a big game at a lower level.

Mate if we do get injuries we are not going to go anywhere so well play the kids get time into them. Someone like parker offers nothing. Not good enough when we are going well and brings nothing when we aren't.

Anyone watch the game yesterday? Reckon our list managers would look at that and question the re-signing of him. Struggled in a big game at a lower level.
One bad game after being amongst the best in pretty much every other one of the finals.
It's not like he did a Gary Rohan

Did he run over your cat?

I think he's been judged pretty harshly. No pre season and no time to learn our system and then thrown into an injury ravaged and completely out of form seniors side. He was forced to play mostly midfield due to our injuries but I think he's best suited to a HFF.

Let's see how he goes with a proper run at it next year. Worst case he's good, cheap depth and will put pressure on Aarts and Castagna. Best case he keeps one of them out and locks down a spot in the 22. I reckon he's pretty similar to Castagna in that he's a great athlete and can do it all but just not a good finisher. I think the good outweighs the bad. Should only get better....

I think he's been judged pretty harshly. No pre season and no time to learn our system and then thrown into an injury ravaged and completely out of form seniors side. He was forced to play mostly midfield due to our injuries but I think he's best suited to a HFF.

Let's see how he goes with a proper run at it next year. Worst case he's good, cheap depth and will put pressure on Aarts and Castagna. Best case he keeps one of them out and locks down a spot in the 22. I reckon he's pretty similar to Castagna in that he's a great athlete and can do it all but just not a good finisher. I think the good outweighs the bad. Should only get better....

Hmmm .. pressure on Aarts and Castagna.
Ideally neither of those two, or Parker, are senior regulars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back