AFL Player #47: Jye Menzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, the family were told he was debuting but didn't know it was as the sub.
Shiel out meant that they had to move Perkins from the sub position sadly.
Nah. They could have given him the full game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highest rated player in the final quarter (according to Champion Data).

FY_DXW5akAAtFeo

We simply have to keep playing this guy.

We're linked to stacks of small forwards and there are some very good reasons to think we already have what we need (in addition to the players we will draft).

For a start I dont think any player is going to find the defensive side of the game playing VFL as the games tend to look so different. I think VFL is used more to have a player demonstrate the willingness to work a certain way than to attempt to replicate what is expected.

He was a mile off the pace in his first few contests, despite it being relatively late. That wasn't a real surprise. He did then pick the speed and feel of the game up enough to accumulate a lot. His kicking was top notch. The hip shrug worked a few times.

I have to say I was surprised that he didn't look quick. I appreciate that it is not always as simple as being able to hit top speed, timing is a factor but still...

Try to resolve as many of the unknowns as we can. He looks a player to me.

We're linked to stacks of small forwards and there are some very good reasons to think we already have what we need (in addition to the players we will draft).

For a start I dont think any player is going to find the defensive side of the game playing VFL as the games tend to look so different. I think VFL is used more to have a player demonstrate the willingness to work a certain way than to attempt to replicate what is expected.

He was a mile off the pace in his first few contests, despite it being relatively late. That wasn't a real surprise. He did then pick the speed and feel of the game up enough to accumulate a lot. His kicking was top notch. The hip shrug worked a few times.

I have to say I was surprised that he didn't look quick. I appreciate that it is not always as simple as being able to hit top speed, timing is a factor but still...

Yeh he didn't look quick, lots of wheels spinning but going nowhere. Dare I say Ned Cahill with a touch more grunt and a few more tricks?

What’s up with the Corey Dell references?
Number 47 I imagine.

Gee he got a lot of the ball, albeit at a stage of the game where most others are buggered. He was all over the place though. That lace out kick into the 50 was mint.

Players can look slow when they're over thinking the game. He's not slow.

Yeh he didn't look quick, lots of wheels spinning but going nowhere. Dare I say Ned Cahill with a touch more grunt and a few more tricks?
Noone thinks of Jamie Elliott as being electric fast and he does ok.

Menzie moves well enough - better than Cahill did IMO. Cahill had good endurance but was very one paced.

Agree about the more tricks for Menzie.

There are a few different ways to be a small forward. Super quick is one.. but mobile enough and super clever is another.

Noone thinks of Jamie Elliott as being electric fast and he does ok.

Menzie moves well enough - better than Cahill did IMO. Cahill had good endurance but was very one paced.

Agree about the more tricks for Menzie.

There are a few different ways to be a small forward. Super quick is one.. but mobile enough and super clever is another.

Like Bruest, not super quick but freakishly clean, clinical and footy iQ for days

Only on a 6 month contract, so we need to know what we have either way.

If Shiel, Parish and Caldwell are all out for the rest of the year then throw Hobbs and Perkins into the mifield full time and let's start giving Menzies/Voss/McDonagh a run in the last three to see what we have. Wins are irrelevant at this stage

Snelling was a week or two before he played, Durham I think a month in the VFL.

There’s not much point getting a 6 month rookie and waiting until round 20 to play them so I’d expect sooner rather than later if at all.
What about Rd 20 sub? :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back