Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

You do realise that MacIntosh the week before was one of our best and singled out by the coach. Held that backline together. Had a shocker last week. Your defence of Ellis is to put s##t in MacIntosh, who was playing reasonable football when he was dropped and considered unlucky by 90% on here to be dropped.
Ellis had a poor game until the last when the heat was off.

His game was better before the heat was off than mcintosh’s , so comparing there finals this week, Ellis is still way ahead, and when mcintosh got dropped he was nowhere near the form of Ellis , his game wasn’t as bad as it’s made out to be by those on here , just because he didn’t get the same amount of possessions as Neale , whoopy doo

His game was better before the heat was off than mcintosh’s , so comparing there finals this week, Ellis is still way ahead, and when mcintosh got dropped he was nowhere near the form of Ellis , his game wasn’t as bad as it’s made out to be by those on here , just because he didn’t get the same amount of possessions as Neale , whoopy doo
He started off okay, but when the heat was on he was poor. Lovely side step with about 8 minutes to go in the 3rd from memory, to let the Brisbane man run through untouched, then a minute later the big bump which was always going to miss, where he should have tackled. It wasn't as bad as some suggest, but he is a 180 game veteran who is playing like a rookie.
Yes Ellis was playing good football when MacIntosh got dropped, but he has tailed off a lot since and was our weakest player tonight, and considering Houli, Short, Broad and even Vlaustin didn't do much, that is saying something.

Having said that, I doubt he will be dropped because he is part of a team that is winning and team morale is important at this stage of the season and they are a tight knit bunch.

No, wow, no. People are being critical of Ellis because he lost almost every contest he was involved in. Not halved, not quartered. LOST. He was defensively non existent and offensively only came to life when we had it sewn up and the pressure was off. I'm not McIntosh's biggest fan but he at the very least halves contests.

Players i would have ahead of Brandon Bloody Ellis for the prelim

Stack
McIntosh
Pickett
Naish (atleast he will learn something from a final)
Turner (atleast he will learn something from a final)
Markov
Menadue

Butler - Yes even butler would have played better than this bloke
Tigerimposter
Jacklaughing
Ben Lennon

Was horrible tonight.
People need to realise it’s a unique defensive wingman role he plays though.
If we were to drop him we would have to bring in someone that’s actually played that role at AFL/VFL level like Mcintosh or Menadue.

Unfortunately IMO he is still a better option than both of them.

Was horrible tonight.
If we were to drop him we would have to bring in someone that’s actually played that role at AFL/VFL level like Mcintosh or Menadue.

Not so sure. But I think the risk is low to give Macca one more hit. No way that decision decides the game. Then assuming we get though to the big one, recent games by both can be compared.

Macca will go harder and provides the same run. Disposal not as good, but I think 80% of Ellis' kicks tonight were long dump kicks anyway, which Macca can do.

McIntosh's height advantage & being probably a better 1v1 player may give a chance.. Ellis position in the team for the rest of the finals is def under threat would not be surprised if he got dropped could come down to whoever trains & performs better on the track.

One thing that bugs me about McIntosh though is although Ellis is not as hard as he should be at the contest. McIntosh without question a poorer skills and sloppyness and awkwardness goes against it's a real tough call imo, don't rule out someone else being in the running for the spot, it has to be players with real good endurance like for like because we playing 2 rucks this rules out Pickett imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McIntosh makes his opposition player earn his touches and gives 100% in a contest

Brandon Ellis is no bloody good in a tight hard tuff game and he 'Avoids' the contest
He backs off way too much when heading into a contested situation. It's become so patently obvious that oppo are running the ball through his direct opponent as it's a guaranteed win. I've defended his position in the past but if you're offering up that squibbing bullshit at this time of year your tickets have run dry.

He's shoring up hus position in the media.

........"We've kept the same group for the last three years, which is unheard of," Ellis said.

I doubt he'll lose his spot now. The game review surely will see what we see. But match committee seem to be happy with it.

This week seemed glaringly teenager 1st year player stuff though, so we wait and see.

He's shoring up hus position in the media.

........"We've kept the same group for the last three years, which is unheard of," Ellis said.

I doubt he'll lose his spot now. The game review surely will see what we see. But match committee seem to be happy with it.

This week seemed glaringly teenager 1st year player stuff though, so we wait and see.

First year players? My kingdom for a Jack Ross or SS instead of Ellis... Hell I would go Turner at this moment in time

Let alone Pickett, Mcintosh, Menadue...
Was horrible tonight.

Rubbish.

Last edited:
There's at least 3 players breathing down his neck for a spot in the team. He does a few nice things linking up play and has endurance, but geez he does some soft things.

I don't like his chances in a prelim. I think the pressure will be too much to risk him.

There's at least 3 players breathing down his neck for a spot in the team. He does a few nice things linking up play and has endurance, but geez he does some soft things.

I don't like his chances in a prelim. I think the pressure will be too much to risk him.

Who are the three?

Ellis role is not to be the contested possession getter, it’s not a problem, people don’t understand footy if they don’t get that

Sorry mate. There were a number of times when it was his time to go and he went in timid. No one expects him to get 10 CPs a game, only to go when its his turn.

He’s a seasoned senior player and this s**t is not on.

Was horrible tonight.

I’ve got a feeling the coach wants him to get 22 uncontested easy possessions a game. If he’s doing that then he’s doing his job and those around him are as well. He has 14 and 17 against Brisbane so is slipping a bit.

McIntosh is a beast and had been averaging only 14 but unfortunately for him was dropped and has missed the majority of our MCG run where everyone gets their mojo back.

What about McIntosh for Baker ?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back