Retired # 5: Brent Stanton - Essendon VFL Head Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Not named in the VFL side this week despite having the week off last week.
Any idea why? Injured during training?
They were resting one AFL player per week before the VFL bye, I think to give more VFL players a run leading into finals. Must be Stants' turn, unless he is actually injured (haven't heard anything about that though).

Really hope he gets a farewell game. Given how bad Colyer has been on the wing I genuinely think we would have been better served playing Stanton there all year.
i guess it comes down to gifting games to over-the-hill 'senior players' or gifting games to youth. knowing this club, there's only one way this will go.

If true, he's been a magnificent servant of the club for 14 years and I'll always have a high regard for him.

Not a star, but a bloody solid and hard working footballer. 255 games is a huge achievement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If true, he's been a magnificent servant of the club for 14 years and I'll always have a high regard for him.

Not a star, but a bloody solid and hard working footballer. 255 games is a huge achievement.

It took me longer than I'd care to admit to appreciate Stanton. With the benefit of hindsight I can see that the problem was never with Stanton but with the crappy sides he played in until about 2011.

All you can really ask of a player is for him to work as hard as Stanton worked and to get as much as possible out of his skill level and his body. Not everyone can be a star and we all know that good teams are usually made up of a much larger support cast.

He was a perfectly solid footballer who would have been good enough to play in any of the premiership sides from the point that his game matured (in about 2009 from memory) - had he been drafted to any of those sides.

Stanton would have been a more popular player had he played in a better side where the expectation was not on him to lead a midfield. Having said that, in the 100 games he played between his 100th and his 200th he did a pretty damn good job of leading the midfield with Watson.

It's extremely unfair that he toiled away during the dark ages only for the supplements saga to have robbed him of the chance to be part of a decent side during his prime.

Club statement:

Essendon Football Club would like to congratulate Brent Stanton on an impressive career after the veteran announced his retirement today.

The 31 year-old spoke to his teammates this morning and informed them that his 14th season in the red and black would be his last.

Stanton said he would be forever grateful to the Club for drafting him as a 17 year-old.

“This was a decision I have been wrestling with for some time, but I’m glad I had the opportunity to come back and play one more season for the footy Club that’s been such a huge part of my life,” Stanton said.

“I’m extremely grateful the Club gave me an opportunity to play at the elite level, and I leave with plenty of fond memories, a great group of mates and 255 games alongside my name.

“I’ve learnt a lot about myself over the course of this season. And while I haven’t played as much senior football as I would have liked, I’ve really enjoyed my time guiding and mentoring the young players in the VFL this season.

“I’ve always had a passion for coaching, and I know look forward to exploring the opportunity to pursue a career.

“I’d like to thank all my teammates, coaches and Essendon staff for their support, guidance and friendship over the journey. I’s like to thank my close mate and manager Adam Ramanauskas, as well as Susan Harper at TLA for help and support over the past five years.Thanks also to the Club’s members and supporters for your passion and commitment.

“Finally, and most importantly, to my Mum and Dad, brother, two sisters and my partner Sonja and my sons, Connor and Aiden, thank-you for giving me the opportunity to do what I love. Without you I would never have been able to achieve my childhood dream.”

Stanton hangs up the boots ninth on the Club’s games record list, and is the third highest possession gatherer to ever don the sash.

Known as ‘Mr Consistent’ due to his huge running engine and tireless work ethic, ‘Stants’ averaged more than 20 games a season between 2006 and 2015.

CEO, Xavier Campbell said Stanton was hugely respected player who would be remembered as a great Essendon person.

“On behalf of the entire Essendon family, I’d like to congratulate Brent on an incredible career and thank him for his loyalty and commitment over the past fourteen seasons,” Campbell said.

“More than 250 games, four podium finishes in the Crichton Medal, and a regular member of the Club’s leadership group, places him in the top echelon of players to pull on the red and black.

“Stants embodies what it means to be an Essendon player. Consistent, selfless, and a ruthless competitor.

“He’s incredibly loyal and very popular member of the playing group, and played an integral role in navigating the Club through the past five years.

“We wish Stants all the best for the remainder of this season, and believe he will make a successful transition into coaching.”

Senior Coach, John Worsfold, said Stanton’s experience around the Club has been invaluable.

“Brent is a highly respected member of the playing group with a great football mind, and to play 255 senior games of football is a fantastic achievement, which takes enormous sacrifice and resilience,” Worsfold said.

“Stants’ work ethic and attitude is super impressive, and despite announcing his retirement today, I know he is extremely driven to see the AFL and VFL sides achieve the success we all hope they can this season.

“He is a fantastic role model for our young players to look up to. I know he has had a huge impact on the VFL players this season, and really enjoyed his time mentoring them.

“I have no doubt that if he applies the same drive and work ethic he will give himself the best chance of carving out a successful career in coaching.”

Meanwhile, check the spelling/grammar fails in this email. Surely they had time to get it right? Pretty average IMO.

One of my all time favourites. His B&F results show how good he was for such a long time. Remember him beating a Crowley tag in 2013 when noone else could.

Was watching highlights from round 1 last night and it was great seeing how excited he was when he nailed those 2 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back