Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, giving ourselves 12 months to change his mind when he's a RESTRICTED free agent (ergo, we can match any bid and force a trade) and force Sydney into a trade.

How stupid is that?

How stupid is it to match any offer for JD - So he's asked to leave for two consecutive years and you still want to match - JD is part of a legendary part of the club, so common-sense dictates, you keep the family happy - Finally if clubs start matching RFA then the AFLPA will ensure there is only UFA.

How stupid is it to match any offer for JD - So he's asked to leave for two consecutive years and you still want to match - JD is part of a legendary part of the club, so common-sense dictates, you keep the family happy - Finally if clubs start matching RFA then the AFLPA will ensure there is only UFA.
I want the best deal possible. If you get that by matching a bid you do it. Whilst "keeping the family happy" is a consideration, the recruitment team have to do what's right for the club as their #1 priority. I'll give you a scenario:

Let's say, we finish ~6th, Sydney ~12th
Daniher leaves, compensation is band 1, or pick 14.
Do you match the bid, knowing that Sydney probably would give up pick 7 and then some?

Would you accept the inferior draft pick as well as the little bit on the top? I wouldn't.

Dude, there has only been one other RFA who's been traded since it came in, Dangerfield. Why would the AFLPA complain about a club using a mechanism exactly the way the AFL designed it? Be serious for a second, the RFA was designed for exactly scenarios like this.

Matching a bid doesn't mean he won't leave. It just means Sydney have to pay the price.

I want the best deal possible. If you get that by matching a bid you do it. Whilst "keeping the family happy" is a consideration, the recruitment team have to do what's right for the club as their #1 priority. I'll give you a scenario:

Let's say, we finish ~6th, Sydney ~12th
Daniher leaves, compensation is band 1, or pick 14.
Do you match the bid, knowing that Sydney probably would give up pick 7 and then some?

Would you accept the inferior draft pick as well as the little bit on the top? I wouldn't.

Dude, there has only been one other RFA who's been traded since it came in, Dangerfield. Why would the AFLPA complain about a club using a mechanism exactly the way the AFL designed it? Be serious for a second, the RFA was designed for exactly scenarios like this.

We are no certainty to get a first round pick if JD can't play decent footy this year - At the end of the day, JD will be an uncontracted player this year - So if you want the club to be bitter and twisted by matching a bid, then it says something about you - Who cares if it's pick 7 or 14 ? You do what is for the better good of the club and the individual - Of course the AFLPA will look at the future of RFA if you have clubs matching bids

Matching a bid doesn't mean he won't leave. It just means Sydney have to pay the price.

So possibly destroy a 'Daniher' dynasty, so you can be big and tough - I'll give you the tip that if JD plays little this year, then his trade value will be outside the top 10.

We are no certainty to get a first round pick if JD can't play decent footy this year - At the end of the day, JD will be an uncontracted player this year - So if you want the club to be bitter and twisted by matching a bid, then it says something about you - Who cares if it's pick 7 or 14 ? You do what is for the better good of the club and the individual - Of course the AFLPA will look at the future of RFA if you have clubs matching bids
How is getting full value for him being bitter and twisted? It's about doing the best thing for the club. I'd rather have pick 7 and a future second round pick or whatever over pick 14 or 15.

You're saying the AFLPA will bitch and moan about a club using something they designed in the way it was meant to be used?

Why are we worried about the AFLPA? these are the rules they agreed to. If the club benefits from matching I would be mad (and they would be mad) if they didn't.

Why would you match if a player has clearly stated for two years that he wishes to leave the club - This is cutting your nose off to spite your face - Finally, there is no guarantee that JD will attract a first round compensation pick, unless he can get on the park and play decent footy.

Why would you match if a player has clearly stated for two years that he wishes to leave the club - This is cutting your nose off to spite your face - Finally, there is no guarantee that JD will attract a first round compensation pick, unless he can get on the park and play decent footy.
You match if the deal you can do is better than the compensation pick. Just because you match, doesn't mean the player is tied to your club.

Which furthers that point. If he doesn't get first round compensation, why the hell would you not match? Dangerfield wanted out and instead of going through the matching process, Geelong went straight to the trade table. Who's to say Sydney won't do the same?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have been consistent on that argument, but I suspect that if the club wasn’t letting joe go for two first rounders then they are not going to let him go for a second round Compensation pick without trying to force a trade.

Just a suspicion. Time will tell.

Apparently there was a light training session on Friday morning for the players who weren't playing. This was buried in the Blitz thread;

"Joe was running at a much increased speed, was looking much better."

Look out. Lid off time is around the corner.
I read somewhere else on Blitz from a supposed "in the know" that he was given the all clear to step up his training loads as he wasn't experiencing any pain.

I suspect a lot of times the clubs discuss whether the player will be released via trade or RFA long before its public, thus why you don’t see it matched and others go via trade even though they’re an RFA (Dangerfield).

I suspect a lot of times the clubs discuss whether the player will be released via trade or RFA long before its public, thus why you don’t see it matched and others go via trade even though they’re an RFA (Dangerfield).

This is absolutely correct - But at the same time clubs plan their budget and cant or wont match the bid - These cases you mentioned are nearly always players who would receive low level compensation so instead of a club receiving pick 55 as compensation, they may agree to trade for 45 - Anyway JD needs to get on the field and produce good footy to secure his future, wherever that may be.

This is absolutely correct - But at the same time clubs plan their budget and cant or wont match the bid - These cases you mentioned are nearly always players who would receive low level compensation so instead of a club receiving pick 55 as compensation, they may agree to trade for 45 - Anyway JD needs to get on the field and produce good footy to secure his future, wherever that may be.

Dangerfield is the prime example; he wasn't being offered huge money by Geelong so the RFA compensation wasn't going to be worthwhile for Adelaide to just release him. Some backroom discussions were held that resulted in a trade being done instead. No RFA matching technically, but the reality was that Adelaide said "put a decent trade on the table and we'll take it" even though Dangerfield still went for unders.

Likely JD results in the same; Sydney put forward their contract offer, EFC works out what it's likely to result in compensation then decides whether they're willing to release him for that or hash out a trade. Both scenarios are likely to result in a lesser value for him than was proposed in 2019, but assuming he shows some level of capability of returning this year, EFC will take the best offer. If say EFC finishes 14th, Sydney finished Top-4 and offered JD a contract that results in a compensation pick after our first round selection, we likely wouldn't bother discussing matching.

30-40 meter sprints near full pace today for Joe. Stewart in main training, So If JD and Stewart had similar injuries and the same training plan then Joe hopefully progresses as well as him over the coming weeks.

Positive signs.
I'm riding every wave of emotion with every Joe Dan sighting.

So happy he's still with us and not the little shits up north.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back