AFL Player # 8: Ben "Goblin" Hobbs

Remove this Banner Ad

Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

Wouldn’t say going to ground is an issue rather getting the ball dragged under him. No problem with him fighting to win the ball, but once the ball gets trapped under you, it’s htb every time
Looked very tired come the end of season. Agree, he did go to ground/end up HTB a number of times, and suspect fatigue as a younger player having a full season was the main reason. Fingers crossed he stays fit this preseason and continues to build a tank and body that can get through a full season (and if we make it at least 2 non-straight sets finals)

Wouldn’t say going to ground is an issue rather getting the ball dragged under him. No problem with him fighting to win the ball, but once the ball gets trapped under you, it’s htb every time

It is probably abit of both. There were times he went to ground which made it easier for people to drag it in. If he had kept his feet he would have won the ball or at least halved the contest.

If his next step in development is to stop going to ground so easily, he will own a spot in the midfield.

Given he's consciously diving ontop of it it shouldn't be that hard a fix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AC joint injury, eyeing off a return in the early weeks of the H&A season New
Sitting out of the practice match tomorrow but eyeing off a return in the early weeks of the home-and-away season.

Which probably means that the AC joint injury is going to prevent him lining up in Round 1.

I thought this guy looked really promising last year - and seems to have the draft pedigree to be something the Bombers need, a clearance tyro. Could very well support Merrett and Parish in roles that use their skills a tad better. But I saw a lot of "best 22s" having him fringe at best. Is he borderline for the side, or is it just that the shoulder knock has him down the pecking order to start the year?

Yes, this is a question driven by my keeper league where I've bought into Hobbs - but also interested footy observer.

Peace.

I thought this guy looked really promising last year - and seems to have the draft pedigree to be something the Bombers need, a clearance tyro. Could very well support Merrett and Parish in roles that use their skills a tad better. But I saw a lot of "best 22s" having him fringe at best. Is he borderline for the side, or is it just that the shoulder knock has him down the pecking order to start the year?

Yes, this is a question driven by my keeper league where I've bought into Hobbs - but also interested footy observer.

Peace.
I'm not surprised you come on here with some trepidation. I asked a very similar question about a Carlton player on your board and one of your mods accused me of being a troll. At this point in time Hobbs is in a group of players vying for just a couple of spots, but imo will become a permanent fixture in the very near future.

Peace.
We have a lot of same-ish mids which typically end up being named on the bench or at HFF to fit them in. Parish is playing out of his skin in the preseason games, Merrett is consistently extremely good, and then most people want a big body in there which ends up being Setterfield, Durham, Martin, Perkins, Stringer, or Tsatas when people make their dream 22s (not saying they’re all a great fit for that role, but this is wish fulfilment at work).

Outside of that you have Caldwell, Shiel, Hobbs also looking for spots, and Hobbs’ shoulder definitely put a dent in his visibility for pre-season games (Shiel is also not available for round 1).

So you end up with a bit of a logjam.

I’d expect Hobbs to play most or all games this year though, even if it means starting in a pocket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back