Retired #9 Tom Scully - Inaugural Giant (OOC selection 2011, traded out 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Tom Scully

Tom+Scully+AFL+Rd+2+North+Melbourne+v+GWS+ib1j3sy9nK2l.jpg

Height: 181cm
Weight: 78kg
D/O/B: 15/5/1991
Position: Mid

After joining the GIANTS as an uncontracted player in 2011, Scully played his first game for the club in Round 2, 2012 against North Melbourne.
A member of the leadership group, Scully played 19 games for the GIANTS in 2012, missing only three games through injury and was a consistent contributor to the club’s promising midfield.
The fast paced midfielder averaged 20.3 disposals across his 19 games while playing a shut down role on some of the AFL’s biggest names. One of Scully’s most impressive performances came against West Coast in Round 3 with 30 disposals and three marks.
Scully finished his first season at the club in fourth place in the Kevin Sheedy Medal.

AFL expansion side Greater Western Sydney have finally landed their big target, signing Melbourne Demons midfielder Tom Scully to a six-year multi-million dollar deal.
Scully and Giants officials fronted the media on Monday to announce that the 2009 No.1 draft pick had agreed to join the club for their inaugural AFL campaign.
Giants CEO Dale Holmes hailed Scully's signing as "a great day for the game nationally", while the composed 20-year-old said he was "absolutely delighted" to join the fledgling club.
"It's been a tough year for me personally, dealing with the scrutiny and speculation about my future," Scully said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...nce/story-e6frf3e3-1226134519188#.UabyrEA3CSo

Scully named as Vice - Captain
Greater Western Sydney midfielder Tom Scully has been named vice-captain in the AFL club's streamlined leadership group for the 2013 season.Scully, the former No.1 draft pick who shifted to the Giants for a six-year deal understood to be worth $6 million, will be the only deputy to co-captains Callan Ward and Phil Davis.

The former Melbourne Demons midfielder said he was surprised by the appointment.
"I certainly wasn't expecting this, but I'm very humbled to be voted by my teammates as vice-captain," Scully said in a statement.
"Since coming to the Giants I think my leadership is something which has really improved.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/greater-wester-sydney-promote-star-midfielder-tom-scully-to-vice-captain-for-2013-afl-season/story-e6frf3e3-1226559183734#ixzz2Ukvnqb6M

Last edited:

Tom Scully is starting to hit the peak of his powers
LUKE Power says there is no one in the AFL with a workrate better than GWS midfielder Tom Scully. It’s taken a while but the much-maligned midfielder is in career-best form after outstanding displays against Melbourne and Geelong. He’s averaging 30 disposals and is third in the AFL for metres gained (1371m), behind Patrick Dangerfield and David Zaharakis. Power is convinced it’s a case of persistence paying off.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ers/news-story/91d2e5e8adf7a43d33fdfed130d154

Tom Scully set to take $2m pay cut to help GWS Giants retain talented group of young stars
TOM Scully will give up $2 million to stay at the GWS Giants for another four seasons that will allow the club to retain its talented group of young stars. The gun midfielder is currently in the fifth year of a $6 million six year deal, however The Daily Telegraph can reveal Scully is prepared to sign a new $500,000-a-year deal that will keep him at the club until at least the end of 2021.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/8483a427ec0dc4cf0204ae9847add6bf

After 11 years in the game, Tom Scully has announced his retirement, effective immediately. Scully was an integral part of building the GIANTS, joining the club for their inaugural 2012 season and playing 121 games in the orange and charcoal.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews acknowledged Scully’s announcement today. “Tom joined the GIANTS at our inception and had a significant influence helping build our club to where it is today," Mr Matthews said. "His contribution to the development of our team on-field and growing the game off-field was outstanding. As someone who will always be a part of the GIANTS we wish Tom the best in the next chapter of his life.”

The 29-year-old began his career as the number one draft pick, selected by the Melbourne Football Club and was later traded to the GIANTS before finishing his career at Hawthorn. Scully played 189 games over his 11 seasons in the game.

Capture - Scully.PNG

Good luck, Tom, for your next step in life. And all the best for whatever family issues have contributed to your premature retirement.

After 11 years in the game, Tom Scully has announced his retirement, effective immediately. Scully was an integral part of building the GIANTS, joining the club for their inaugural 2012 season and playing 121 games in the orange and charcoal.

GIANTS Chief Executive Officer David Matthews acknowledged Scully’s announcement today. “Tom joined the GIANTS at our inception and had a significant influence helping build our club to where it is today," Mr Matthews said. "His contribution to the development of our team on-field and growing the game off-field was outstanding. As someone who will always be a part of the GIANTS we wish Tom the best in the next chapter of his life.”

The 29-year-old began his career as the number one draft pick, selected by the Melbourne Football Club and was later traded to the GIANTS before finishing his career at Hawthorn. Scully played 189 games over his 11 seasons in the game.

View attachment 1050096

Good luck, Tom, for your next step in life. And all the best for whatever family issues have contributed to your premature retirement.
Was a good player ( even in 2010 he and trengrove helped Melbourne win games). Seemed a decent bloke, shame about the injury, if not for that I got the impression he was happy to play out his career here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back