Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Ballenden - I've been told a few times that they're interested and they'd like to have me at the club, but we'll see how it goes later in the year. If they were to pass on me and I was to go somewhere else that would be fine as well.
Dreamin' son.

I saw the academy and father son boys doing some training the other day, Nick Blakey is the one that stood out for me. Would be up for next year.
But the Lions might have a fight on their hands if they want him.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...t-could-have-rare-choice-20160711-gq3c9z.html

Can someone please enlighten me as to how Jacob Clayton is eligible as Father/Son as it is now twice that I have seen it strayed as this and I thought he was purely just academy. o_O

Can someone please enlighten me as to how Jacob Clayton is eligible as Father/Son as it is now twice that I have seen it strayed as this and I thought he was purely just academy. o_O

Josh Clayton is Scott Clayton's son and is on our list.
Jack Clayton is in our academy this year.

Is Jacob Clayton Scott Clayton's younger son?

Jack Clayton's brother's cousin's mate who works at Dominos, goddamn predictive text! Just to make it clear but JACK Clayton is not father/son but just Academy?
Just academy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Academy prospects on tour

Two Hyundai Help for Kids Lions Academy prospects are using the world class IMG Academy facility in Florida as a way to bolster their 2017 NAB AFL Draft campaigns.

Ruck/forward Connor Ballenden and half-back Jack Clayton recently spent time at the facility, doing speed and running technique training and were also involved in the Gatorade Sports Science Institute testing. The players were then interviewed by all 13 clubs represented by recruiters on the tour, including Brisbane Lions National Recruiting Manager, Stephen Conole.

At 198cm Ballenden has been part of the club's local academy since he was 12 years old, and the Lions will get first access to him at November's NAB AFL Draft, while Clayton is eligible to join the club under the father-son/academy bidding system.

“The program follows on from their Darwin camp in early December, and the players' AFL Club training programs in mid-December, so in a football sense this is the opportunity to further develop the individual development programs that the boys are working through,” said Conole.

“Just as importantly, the trip allows the players a multitude of off-field experiences, including the travelling overseas component, living within the IMG community and working amongst athletes and coaches from numerous sports on site at the IMG Academy.”

Conole said he had been impressed with not only how they’d approached training but also how the players had tackled each challenge thrown at them.

“Both Connor and Jack have fitted in with the group very well, trained with purpose and good intensity and have definitely not looked out of place at all.

“Connor has some genuine presence amongst the group, and Jack’s enthusiasm and energy amongst the squad has been evident,” said Conole.

“Importantly over and above this though, both boys have shown themselves to be good quality young men with respect for those in and around the program.”

Ballenden and Clayton will return to the final phase of the pre-season program with the Hyundai Help for Kids Lions Academy as they prepare for a busy year of football. Academy games commence late March as part of the newly revamped Division 2 National Championship Program.

Conole said the program was not only beneficial to the players but also provided a barometer to measure the talent of this year’s draft.

“For myself it is a great opportunity to get a detailed overview on a large group of players who will form the majority of this year’s draft, giving us a great start into the 2017 season with all the players on tour from around the country, not just our Academy products.

“Obviously a key component is the footballing aspect of the camp – the opportunity to view the players through main training sessions, craft sessions and the physical performance components of the week. However equally important is getting a feel for the players beyond their football – for example, how they interact with their peers and coaches, how they cope with the day to day requirements of the program, their professionalism and attention to detail, how they work within group dynamics, how they respond to external people who interact with the group and the challenges around the scheduling and travel that the program throws at them.

“We believe the trip has definitely given us a good insight into many of the boys that have entered the club through the past couple of seasons (Schache, Hipwood, Keays, Matheson, Skinner, McCluggage, Berry, Witherden) and again it looks like another exciting season for this year’s group of AFL Academy products.”

academyboys2017art.jpg

Great to hear that both boys did well. I feel that Ballenden will go high but i don't see any comparison to Boyd as some have made but more of a Peter Wright type. He'll possibly still go high but around the same mark as Wright (5-10). Can't wait for the national champs to see how both boys go and also the top rated crop.

Last edited:
At 198cm Ballenden has been part of the club's local academy since he was 12 years old, and the Lions will get first access to him at November's NAB AFL Draft, while Clayton is eligible to join the club under the father-son/academy bidding system.

Wait... what?

That's wrong isn't it? Jack isn't Father/son.

Wait... what?

That's wrong isn't it? Jack isn't Father/son.
It's because the same system is used for both F/S and Academy, they have just consolidated the name in to one, he is still academy not F/S

It's because the same system is used for both F/S and Academy, they have just consolidated the name in to one, he is still academy not F/S

True, but the sentence is structured to differentiate his background from Ballenden. "Ballenden is A, while Clayton is B". Other than time served, I don't think there's any difference in their pathways (unless I'm missing a subtlety somewhere).

True, but the sentence is structured to differentiate his background from Ballenden. "Ballenden is A, while Clayton is B". Other than time served, I don't think there's any difference in their pathways (unless I'm missing a subtlety somewhere).
oh ok, yeah re-reading I see what you mean. Poorly worded sentence on the part of the writer of the article. Definitely Academy as far as I am aware

Great to hear that both boys did well. I feel that Ballenden will go high but i don't see any comparison to Boyd as some have made but more of a Peter Wright type. He'll possibly still go high but around the same mark as Wright (5-10). Can't wait for the national champs to see how both boys go and also the top rated crop.

If Ballenden goes top 10 I'll go he. I don't know what that means but I've heard people say it and I'm committed to it.

Here we go,here we go,here we go ho!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-new-draft-academy-rules-20170202-gu3s0j.html

This shoud really be in the 2017 Draft thread which is locked.

Greater Western Sydney have scored another victory against the AFL and now look certain to retain their contentious Riverina academy zone and, specifically, Albury.

Fairfax Media understands that despite reports the Giants would lose Albury, head office will resist the push from the powerful Victorian clubs lobby and instead redesign and equalise the academy draft pick system across the competition.

Last edited:
The number of places between the selection the player is bid on and the teams first available pick should be restricted.

If a northern team finished 8th and have players bid on with picks 18, 19 and 20 and they before bidding had picks 21, 22 and 23 it's ridiculous they shouldn't be allowed access to that third player.

Maybe if someone is bid on in the first round the first selection you match it with should be within 10 selections regardless on your ladder position.

The number of places between the selection the player is bid on and the teams first available pick should be restricted.

If a northern team finished 8th and have players bid on with picks 18, 19 and 20 and they before bidding had picks 21, 22 and 23 it's ridiculous they shouldn't be allowed access to that third player.

Maybe if someone is bid on in the first round the first selection you match it with should be within 10 selections regardless on your ladder position.

So if you don't have a pick in that range you miss out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back