AE AE15 - Survivor FAQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Survivor is a free optional comp in AE15, as it's being run as a trial replacement for 3XKO.

The Survivor comp should be on the AE Website, making your picks there. So all 80 AE subscribers should be participating -- especially as you're all going to be playing 3XKO for prizemoney, and Survivor is being trialed as a possible replacement for it, then it would be good if all 80 people did play it so you can provide feedback end of the season.

Those who do play Survivor, Woodson is offering to the winner of this comp a Gold Pass for AE16...a free entry. Just to make sure everyone really does play it properly.

What is Survivor? How does it differ from 3XKO?

In 3XKO, you have to pick 3 teams you think will win in week 1. If you get any wrong, you are given a strike. You only have 3 strikes to last the entire season. So you could get knocked out week 1 if you get all three wrong. In 3XKO tho, essentially you can choose the same teams over and over thruout the season. There is a clause there, but essentially that's what happens. The clause is....if a team you pick loses, you can pick them again the following week. If a team you pick wins, you can't pick them again the following week, but can pick them again, the week after that. Essentially tho, over 16 weeks of the regular season, you could choose the top few teams in the NFL over and over.

In Survivor, tho, it's exactly the same as 3XKO in that you only have three lives, but once you pick a team, win or lose, you cannot pick them again the rest of the season. This makes it really challenging then, as you have to really plan ahead....what week do you choose the Patriots? Broncos? Seahawks? It's like a poker game...which Aces you hold up your sleeve as the season progresses. Do you blow early picks on the favorites and then run into trouble trying to pick winners out of lesser teams? Do you take some calculated risks early, taking teams like the Jaguars, Raiders, etc, and save the better teams till later? Especially as when the comp progresses, and more and more people get knocked out, you could have the upperhand against the remaining survivors -- they've all got bad teams left to pick, but you're holding some Aces.

Originally, I envisioned Survivor as you HAVE TO pick two teams every week, and you only have four lives. That way, you end up picking all 32 teams, if the comp lasted all the way into week 16.

But thanks to Sven contributing a tweak, then the way Survivor will be played is...

From week 1 to week 8, everyone only has to pick one team per week. And you only have three lives to last that eight weeks. Then....starting week 9, whoever is still in the comp, hasn't been knocked out, now has to start picking two teams per week, and you earn an extra life if you reach week 9.

So, as an example....

Week 1 you choose say Patriots to beat Steelers. If the Patriots win or lose, you cannot pick them again rest of the season. Let's say they lose. You now only have TWO lives left. Let's say you manage to get thru to week 8 with those two lives intact....then starting week 9, you would earn a life (so back to three lives), and have to start picking two winners per week. Despite the comp changing up at week 9, all the teams you selected from week 1 to 8 still get grayed out, can't be selected week 9 onwards.

In the end, the person who survives the longest with a life intact, will win the comp. If by end of week 16, two or more people are still alive...then week 17 a tie-breaker will be conducted. First up, who has the most lives still intact will be declared the winner. But if the remaining survivors all have the same lives intact, then something like each person having to choose 8 winners per round, and whomever gets the most right for that week, will win the comp.

If by week 17, there are say 3 people left, one of them has 1 life left, and the other two have 2 lives left, then only the people with the most lives remaining will conduct the finale to determine the winner.

If you have any questions about this comp, please post below and I will answer.

Looking forward to it ;)
From memory I won, or got very close to the end at the very least, in the one we did in the first season of Empire

Mind explaining it to me in 140 characters or less?

Basically you select one team to win each week. But once you use that team you can't call on them again. If the team you select wins, you move to week 2 with all three lives in tact. They lose and you're down to two... and so on and so on.

The trick is that you can't call on the big favourites every week as eventually you'll run out (if you've survived the upset wrecking ball) and you'll have to start banking on lesser light teams to get up.

It's very challenging!

"The clause is....if a team you pick loses, you can pick them again the following week. If a team you pick wins, you can't pick them again the following week, but can pick them again, the week after that. "

As far as i am aware and since i have been managing the 3XKO comp there are no restrictions on not being able to choose a team twice in a row to win regardless if they won the previous week or not. This restriction might have been in place prior to last year but i am sure there are now no restrictions.

Woodson can you please confirm

"The clause is....if a team you pick loses, you can pick them again the following week. If a team you pick wins, you can't pick them again the following week, but can pick them again, the week after that. "

As far as i am aware and since i have been managing the 3XKO comp there are no restrictions on not being able to choose a team twice in a row to win regardless if they won the previous week or not. This restriction might have been in place prior to last year but i am sure there are now no restrictions.

You may be right. Makes 3xko even worse.

Haven't really looked into it other than GG's OP, but assume you would have to work out in advance with byes and stuff? E.g from Weeks 9-11 when we start picking two teams there will be 14 teams with byes over those 3 weeks. Shouldn't be a problem but 3XKO just seems simpler.....maybe i'm over thinking it.

Haven't really looked into it other than GG's OP, but assume you would have to work out in advance with byes and stuff? E.g from Weeks 9-11 when we start picking two teams there will be 14 teams with byes over those 3 weeks. Shouldn't be a problem but 3XKO just seems simpler.....maybe i'm over thinking it.
Eight teams chosen till week eight. Twenty four teams left to pick from during bye weeks. Shouldn't be a problem. But that's why it's being tested first, this tweaked version. If people prefer it and it replaces 3xko and there were bye week problems, we can revert to one team per week.

Anyway, survivor is brutal, people being eliminated will happen quickly

Eight teams chosen till week eight. Twenty four teams left to pick from during but weeks. Shouldn't be a problem. But that's why it's being tested first, this tweaked version. If people prefer it and it replaces 3xko and there were but week problems, we can revert to one team per week.

Anyway, survivor is brutal, people being eliminated will happen quickly

Yeah going to make for a good Comp when it is all over in Week 7 of the season. :cool:

The whole thing with AE IMO is making people stick around to the end and have an incentive to Tip every week as if you are out of ND and 3XKO early most likely you are wayyyyy down on the CR ladder as well.

What is left??? HR Sweepstakes or DZE?? lol and it is a rubbish comp IMO but each to their own! This then creates a knock on effect in ND as people get Bye weeks in crucial match ups due to drop outs as they have no incentive or don't give a stuff about tipping!!

While i like this concept of Survivor i can see the whole field being eliminated before the half way mark of the season and what good is that! :cool:

I bring it up every year about having a Comp that resets every few weeks and supplies a cash prize right up until the end of the season to keep people interested and tipping the whole season out which in turn makes ND more credible.

Drop outs and no shows kill the Comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about we all play it first before passing judgment?

Yeah fair enough and i do agree.

Like i said i do like the concept of it but having 95% of the field wiped by the Mid way point of the season is very probable and not really good for AE for reasons i highlighted above as the knock on effect happens affecting other comps.

Very similar to picking 1 winner each week for the entire season before it starts with no Caps on teams chosen and pick who ever you want but once the team you select lose you are out! Much harder than what it sounds and it is very popular in AFL Comps with 90% of the fields gone by Rd 10!

Yeah fair enough and i do agree.

Like i said i do like the concept of it but having 95% of the field wiped by the Mid way point of the season is very probable and not really good for AE for reasons i highlighted above as the knock on effect happens affecting other comps.

Very similar to picking 1 winner each week for the entire season before it starts with no Caps on teams chosen and pick who ever you want but once the team you select lose you are out! Much harder than what it sounds and it is very popular in AFL Comps with 90% of the fields gone by Rd 10!
We don't know yet how many get wiped out how soon.

touchdown-nfl-and-referees-reach-agreement-abc-and-fans-rejoice-300x166.jpg

That's correct bgt2110.. GG's call drew a false start..

ref-490x330.jpg

But I CAN CONFIRM: NO RESTRICTIONS anymore !!

Guess the AE15 members will be AMPED UP to go nuts and have freedom in selecting whatever TEAM they prefer!! Whoo Hoo!!

ifbaTmtAoc8RZ_zps536e15be.gif

Basically you select one team to win each week. But once you use that team you can't call on them again. If the team you select wins, you move to week 2 with all three lives in tact. They lose and you're down to two... and so on and so on.

The trick is that you can't call on the big favourites every week as eventually you'll run out (if you've survived the upset wrecking ball) and you'll have to start banking on lesser light teams to get up.

It's very challenging!

Notice that Al doesn't even use the 'C' word in his preamble.

Mind explaining it to me in 140 characters or less?

Read this bit Larkis:

From week 1 to week 8, everyone only has to pick one team per week. And you only have three lives to last that eight weeks. Then....starting week 9, whoever is still in the comp, hasn't been knocked out, now has to start picking two teams per week, and you earn an extra life if you reach week 9.

As long there is an adequate number of participants to have a show of numbers.. that's all I can ask…

hmmm.. tweaking the tweaked version already..
:D:D

F_e675fb1586.jpg

Is this covered int he FAQ area;

Why change what aint broke? ;)

Nothing wrong..:confused: with Pushing, pushing.. PUSHING 'til you got no more!! :(

Wonder if anyone picked up my 'inner cry in the carefully structured wording'… the sarcasm at the end was too much too contain.. GG is aware that I'm more pessimistic than cynical. Yes there is a difference in the definition. But I'm probing this like Al's role in HEAT.. GG's playing the role of DeNiro.. :D:D (GG will clearly see the irony to the dialogue).;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back