Autopsy AFL 2019 Round 18: Fremantle vs. Sydney Swans, 6:10pm AWST Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Pav: “Both teams should be proud of their effort”.

No. Maybe their actual attempt at trying, but their delivery was ******* woeful. 52-51 is fortuitous because the game is close, but its objectively a disaster as entertainment.

The conditions should take some blame, and with both teams missing a host of players, the coaches did what they could to get a result..

It was drizzling most of the night, its wet, muddy and slippery (you could see players covered in wet grass and dirt from head to foot on the bench), its 13th & 14th going at it, both coaches renowned for their defensive structures and people were expecting a beautiful game?

How about acknowledging the effort of both sides who were practically out on their feet by the end? The frantic do or die efforts in the last 2 minutes, watching a youngster like Logue who has barely been on the park in 3 years make 4 desperate defensive efforts in 30 seconds and fight to a draw, Lobb's heroics to keep playing to the last second with a subluxed shoulder, Brayshaw playing with heart and composure beyond his years.

It wasn't beautiful but it was a cracking contest and we were screaming at the end and elated when the siren went. Thats why I love footy.

Pav: “Both teams should be proud of their effort”.

No. Maybe their actual attempt at trying, but their delivery was ******* woeful. 52-51 is fortuitous because the game is close, but its objectively a disaster as entertainment.
Only if you believe that high scoring footy = entertainment and vice versa. Its the kind of thinking that makes curators prepare roads in Cricket because all the average (uneducated) fan wants to see is hitting sixes rather than a nail biting contest between bat and ball where neither has the edge.

I suggest anyone who has played football on a wet and windy weekend and has some feeling for the game would have found that enthralling. My partner who doesn't even like footy all that much was screaming at the end because of the tension. Thats entertainment. Being hooked emotionally.

My query from this game ( probably every week ), is that the umps will umpire to a standard in the first half, and we are all pretty happy.

After the break they come back and start paying deliberate out of bounds, 50 metre penalties, and the regular ruck infringement ( he’s bigger than me ). This is after none of this in the first half.

Set a standard and umpire to it.

I support Hawthorn, so have no affiliation with either side, but if the ball doesn’t go the required distance, and it’s blatantly obvious that it didn’t, why is the player catching the ball given the benefit of the doubt. I saw the last 3 minutes of this game (and it seems I should be thankful that’s all I saw), but I saw a contest in the middle that should have 100% gone to the Swans, but the umpire was too cowardly to pay a free kick, and then saw a ball go up in the air in the Swans forward pocket, the umpire call “play on play on” as it had gone about 3 metres , and the Freo player grab it and make ZERO attempt to dispose of it. The Freo guy would have to have Donald Trump-like intelligence to not know it hadn’t gone the required distance, but the umpire once again lost his nerve and gave him the benefit of the doubt. He had prior and didn’t dispose of it. Should have been holding the ball every day of the week.

I can’t stand the sanctimonious Swans, but they were robbed of at least a draw in this one

Was thinking this in another game I saw recently too - exact same thing. Another similar one is where the ball is obviously touched.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back