Opinion AFL 2024 Round 9 - Weekend Wrap & Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues v Demons, Thursday night: Hope Carlton supporters’ heart rates have returned to normal, they’d be forgiven for still ticking a little too fast after Melbourne Petracca nearly pulled off the big steal. A big four points against a fellow contender.

Port v Cats, Friday night: Port folk are probably justified in asking where that sort of dare and run have been. Amazing effort to march into Geelong and pull off the mother of all heists against the Cats on their home ground.

1715502615685.png

Dockers v Swans, Friday night: A wildly inaccurate Freo against a workmanlike Swans. Can’t really blame the Dockers for being a smidgeon off their game after the outpouring of emotion before the bounce. Can only hope the players are doing ok given the horrid circumstances.

Hawks v Saints, Saturday arvo: How do you even find anything to write about this one? Firstly well done to a young and undermanned Hawthorn. But please for the love of God can somebody tell Ross Lyon it’s not 2009? Scoring as many points as inside 50s doesn’t cut it anymore. What a debacle for the Saints. 52 entries for 7 goals. Laugh at that for a moment.

Bombers v Giants, Saturday twilight: Ok two questions. Firstly, have the Giants been worked out? The orange tsunami has turned into an orange whirlpool in recent weeks. Secondly, has anybody noticed the Bombers are now third on the ladder?! Looking like a genuinely good footy team too.

1715502973589.png

Tigers v Dogs, Saturday night: Nup sorry Doggies, I don’t believe it. You can smash a team missing half their list all you want, but it’s only a matter of time before you put in another sterile weak performance out of nowhere. I see you.

Suns v North, Saturday night: Yeah I don’t even know what to say about North anymore. Their fans deserve better and the people in the top end deserved a better contest than this. Was Clarkson the wrong choice for this club?

Pies v Eagles, Sunday arvo: Bit of carnage for the Pies but they got the job done. Remarkably they're right on the edge of the top 8 now and they've put their abysmal start to the year behind them. Look out.

Crows v Lions, Sunday twilight: The most entertaining game of the round without question, but the footy gods forgot to give us a result. Bravo to both sides though. Great game.

Liked: Winning at the cattery for the first time in 17 years.

Learnt: The AFL still don’t apply their own concussion rules consistently and turn a blind eye where they choose.

Hated: Further to point A but why the heck haven’t Port been playing with that attacking run and dare as they did in the first half for the best part of the last decade.

liked: bombers vs giants was an immense game. constantly impressed by how much some of our players have improved this season

learnt: sydney is the true ladder leader, very tough to beat this year

hated: amount of injuries, some lists have been decimated this year and it's sad to see so many good players go down so early into the year

Liked: Went to the Bombers v Giants game on a whim and took along a workmate from France to see her first ever game, and my third game in about seven years. As a neutral supporter it was a great contest.

Learnt: Essendon are a lot more popular than I thought. Did not expect to have to hunt for seats at Marvel (admittedly I’ve been away from the game for a long time).

Disliked: two Friday night games. That’s a no from me.

Edited to add another dislike: wearing a long sleeve guernsey with the sleeves rolled up (I’m looking at you, Bailey Fritsch). Do not pass go do not collect $200 go straight to jail. Absolute heckin rubbish and it’s a hill I’ll die on

Last edited:
Liked: seeing the way Port played (and that them winning left us a game clear on top.)

Learnt: we must have been having a really shit day to have lost to Richmond

Hated: whoever scheduled Saturday night...
Umpires calling not 15m for multiple kicks which were well over 20m...

Liked:
Nothing really

Learnt:
The game has gone past Ross Lyon. I'm not sure how their youngsters are meant to develop properly with such a stifling, outdated game plan.

The orange tsunami looks to have been found out. Interesting to see how Kingsley responds
Essendon are a lot better than I thought. McKay has been an excellent pick-up for them amongst finally having some grit in the midfield.

After a slow start, Collingwood might be the second best team in it now behind Sydney given the unreliability of the others, although injuries are starting to become a concern for them (like I said, Essendon have been impressive but it's still hard to trust them after the last 20 years)

Hated:
More injuries
Two Friday night games is a no-go

Last edited:
Liked: The Port vs Geelong game. Was interesting to see whether Geelong could snag the comeback. Glad they didn't.

Hated: The half-hearted efforts from a lot of North's senior players who look completely checked out.

Learnt: We may actually be the real deal but I will wait for after the next two weeks with games we should win before I really start to believe.

Liked: Winning at the cattery for the first time in 17 years.

Learnt: The AFL still don’t apply their own concussion rules consistently and turn a blind eye where they choose.

Hated: Further to point A but why the heck haven’t Port been playing with that attacking run and dare as they did in the first half for the best part of the last decade.

Cameron passed concussion test and club cited ARC results for it (as per procedure).
He got listed out based on Post Concussion symptoms.

Technically, he passed all testing, the AFL ticked it off.

I agree while it's bullshit and both deserved to get fined, if you have passed all tests based on the current protocols then you can't really do anything about it.

My opinion: Independent Doctors who can signal to umpires to stop game like a Blood Rule and immediately force player off the field.
Protects players, clubs and provides Duty of Care

Have you noticed, as in most rules, it all depends on who the player is, and who they are playing for? The extent of the concussion never comes into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t believe Jeremy Cameron not getting taken off the ground after his head bounced when Port got fined $100,000 for letting Allir back on the ground after his initial test showed he was ok

Cameron passed concussion test and club cited ARC results for it (as per procedure).
He got listed out based on Post Concussion symptoms.

Technically, he passed all testing, the AFL ticked it off.

I agree while it's bullshit and both deserved to get fined, if you have passed all tests based on the current protocols then you can't really do anything about it.

My opinion: Independent Doctors who can signal to umpires to stop game like a Blood Rule and immediately force player off the field.
Protects players, clubs and provides Duty of Care
when was Cameron tested though?

when was Cameron tested though?
On the field during a shot at goal off camera and directly after the game for full assessment.
Passed both times.

Had delayed concussion symptoms the next day.
That’s why AFL ticked it off.
What you saw on TV was a snippet of it.

On the field during a shot at goal off camera and directly after the game for full assessment.
Passed both times.

Had delayed concussion symptoms the next day.
That’s why AFL ticked it off.
What you saw on TV was a snippet of it.
So why should Geelong also be fined? Because of the delay between the incident and that first test?

Only thing I really liked was Port upsetting the Cats at the Cattery. Other than that it was meh to really shit.

Was this the same test that Aliir did immediately last year? Or was there some key difference? Sorry if I’m coming across dense here, I’m genuinely trying to understand the differences other than:
1. Jeremy Cameron’s initial test was delayed
2. No penalty for Geelong

Was this the same test that Aliir did immediately last year? Or was there some key difference? Sorry if I’m coming across dense here, I’m genuinely trying to understand the differences other than:
1. Jeremy Cameron’s initial test was delayed
2. No penalty for Geelong

Same test, HIA.
The initial issue was him trying to waive the medico off followed by them coming out to him during the time a player marked the footy and was lining up for a shot at goal. They then went back to him during another stoppage of play to do further testing. My issue is they didn’t bring him off the ground to do the test immediately, that should be mandatory including a stoppage, that’s where the fine should come in.

The ARC confirmed all clear to continue play (as per procedure)
A post game SCAT6 was done immediately after the game was completed.

Jeremy “passed” both tests.
He was re-tested Saturday and failed the test hence him now in concussion protocols.

Last edited:
Same test, HIA.
The initial issue was him trying to waive the medico off followed by them coming out to him during the time a player marked the footy and was lining up for a shot at goal. They then went back to him during another stoppage of play to do further testing. My issue is they didn’t bring him off the ground to do the test immediately, that should be mandatory including a stoppage, that’s where the fine should come in.

The ARC confirmed all clear to continue play (as per procedure)
A post game SCAT5 was done immediately after the game was completed.

Jeremy “passed” both tests.
He was re-tested Saturday and failed the test hence him now in concussion protocols.
And as for how this is meaningfully different to the Aliir incident?

And as for how this is meaningfully different to the Aliir incident?

Cats steps taken confirmed by AFL:

In a statement on Saturday, the Cats confirmed Cameron would miss next week’s clash with Gold Coast in Darwin despite passing a Head Injury Assessment (HIA) on Friday night, with the 31-year old reporting “some concussion symptoms” on Saturday.

“As per the AFL’s concussion guidelines, Geelong medical staff immediately attended Cameron and conducted a HIA on ground, where he reported no symptoms and satisfied all AFL requirements,” Geelong said in a statement.

“After further review of the video footage, and in consultation with the spotters in the ARC, it was decided there was no criteria to remove Cameron immediately from the field for further assessment.

“As further due diligence, and still with no concussive symptoms, Cameron undertook and completed a normal SCAT6 concussion assessment after the game.”

“As is the process following a match, Cameron was monitored and assessed again on Saturday morning, where he reported some concussive symptoms on repeat SCAT6 and a diagnosis of delayed concussion was made.”

To me it sounds like Cats should be fined 100k for not completing a SCAT6 (used to be SCAT5) test immediately after the collision.
You’d probably have a better idea of the steps taken during the Aliir/Lachie Jones incident than I would.

Last edited:
Liked: My under-manned Hawks getting the win against a all out attacking saints outfit. Port beating Geelong.

Learnt: Saints Footy...sweet jesus..move with the times.

Hated: the dangerous tackle paid on Thursday night....

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back