AFL Darling Downs

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Looks like the new season has hit town with the AFL Darling Downs clubs electing a new board which includes new President, Patt Gipps.

Can anyone stop the University men and Toowoomba women for the premierships in season 2019? First time in quite a few seasons the league has had a full board, exciting times ahead for the Downs by the looks.

Seems that a few clubs are currently active with pre-christmas training; Goondiwindi, South Burnett, South Toowoomba & Warwick have started their campaigns for men's and women's. Haven't heard anything for new recruits just yet, seems few having delayed starts due to injury and bombers losing a gun mid to Brisbane is the word on the street.

Looks like the 3-time premiers aren't starting until the new year and very quiet everywhere else.

Seems that a few clubs are currently active with pre-christmas training; Goondiwindi, South Burnett, South Toowoomba & Warwick have started their campaigns for men's and women's. Haven't heard anything for new recruits just yet, seems few having delayed starts due to injury and bombers losing a gun mid to Brisbane is the word on the street.

Looks like the 3-time premiers aren't starting until the new year and very quiet everywhere else.
We’ve lost a few key players to retirement and work transfers at the Bombers but we’ve also been fortunate enough to pick up a few very handy recruits. We’ve had good numbers on the track so far during pre-season so things are looking positive for 2019.

University, Goondiwindi and Warwick will continue to be the teams to beat in 2019 with South Burnett, Souths and Coolaroo all sure to be doing their best to keep them honest. I’m expecting big things from the Saints this season, having Andrew Foley in charge will really set them up off field, he’s an excellent administrator. Coolaroo will return as a force this season, Darren Copland has returned to the club as coach and there are rumours that a couple of former stars will be coming out of retirement. I’m also expecting Tigers off field stability to result in an improved performance on field.

Exciting times.

Thanks for the update Reardo, much appreciated.

Do you know when the local season kicks off at all?
Looks like being the 30th of March, it’s being extended to an 18 round season so everyone plays each other twice. It’s also going to be a final 5 instead of a final 4.

18 rounds, long season but no doubt the 9 home and 9 away is a fair system and will be well received?

Thoughts Reardo - New coach has landed at Tiger-land who has experience playing at higher level in the NT, local school teacher as well may bring the next generation youth to the club. Something the Tigers have needed for some time.

AFL Darling Downs also getting a full-time employee to look after the day to day operations of the competition. Mitchell is his name, coming from Downs Rugby where he was the General Manager. I'd assume similar role as to what he had. Australian Football on the Darling Downs about to go to a new level.

Think that makes it three full-time staff employed by the AFL in the region.... Mitchell joining two outstanding servants of our great game, will be worth watching very closely how this trio make Australian Football even stronger in the Darling Downs.

Any teams interested in a trip to North Brisbane for a practice match against Redcliffe AFC on either 9 or 16 March? If so, please get in contact with me.

Cheers
Adam

Thoughts Reardo - New coach has landed at Tiger-land who has experience playing at higher level in the NT, local school teacher as well may bring the next generation youth to the club. Something the Tigers have needed for some time.

AFL Darling Downs also getting a full-time employee to look after the day to day operations of the competition. Mitchell is his name, coming from Downs Rugby where he was the General Manager. I'd assume similar role as to what he had. Australian Football on the Darling Downs about to go to a new level.

Think that makes it three full-time staff employed by the AFL in the region.... Mitchell joining two outstanding servants of our great game, will be worth watching very closely how this trio make Australian Football even stronger in the Darling Downs.

A mate from my playing days who umpires tells me the new Head of Umpiring also came from Rugby so it will be interesting to see how these guys go coming from outside of AFL in SEQ

A mate from my playing days who umpires tells me the new Head of Umpiring also came from Rugby so it will be interesting to see how these guys go coming from outside of AFL in SEQ

Few code hoppers, will be interest. A different view on recruitment and competitive sport, will be interesting to see how it pans out.

The new Competition and Club Development Manager, Mitchell Simpson, actually has an AFL background. He’s very much an AFL man, not Rugby Union, that was just a job to him. His recruitment is a massive coup for the competition, I have no doubt that he will be successful. He’s actually a very good mate of mine so I might be biased.

I spoke to the Regional Umpire Manager on Wednesday night, his name is Wayne Dobson and he’s been in the role for a couple of seasons now. I don’t think he’s got a union background but I could be wrong.

The new Competition and Club Development Manager, Mitchell Simpson, actually has an AFL background. He’s very much an AFL man, not Rugby Union, that was just a job to him. His recruitment is a massive coup for the competition, I have no doubt that he will be successful. He’s actually a very good mate of mine so I might be biased.

I spoke to the Regional Umpire Manager on Wednesday night, his name is Wayne Dobson and he’s been in the role for a couple of seasons now. I don’t think he’s got a union background but I could be wrong.

Hey Reardo - I think the rugby union dude may be Wayne Dobson's boss. Not sure of his name but I am told that he is the state umpiring manager but is definitely from the Union code

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Reardo - I think the rugby union dude may be Wayne Dobson's boss. Not sure of his name but I am told that he is the state umpiring manager but is definitely from the Union code

That is correct, new State Community Umpire Manager is from rugby union. The RUM (Wayne) goes to this person for assistance, footy is on the up!!

Highfields with a massive win, appointing current Darling Downs - Lions Academy Coach, Bert Cherry as the new senior men's coach. Great appointment for the previously struggling Lions who have recruited several former juniors from Brisbane.

Could it be the year the Lions finally start to reach their potential?

Also, South Burnett Saints who just missed finals last year have appointed a three or four person coaching panel for their men's team. I haven't seen anything like this before, anyone else with thoughts that this will be too many chiefs on game day? Looks like reigning Holman Medalist Nathan Trace is no longer captain, I thought he was but in 2019 won't lead the Saints.

My prediction for the ladder in 2019...word is that it will be a top 5, 4 week final series.

1) University Cougars
2) Coolaroo
3) Warwick Redbacks
4) South Toowoomba
5) South Burnett Saints
6) Goondiwindi Hawks
7) Highfields Lions
8) Toowoomba Tigers
9) Chinchilla SUNS
10) Dalby Swans

University the three time premiers, will be hard to beat and even though they report they have lost numerous senior heads this is always the message out of Baker Street every season. Don't be fooled.

Coolaroo, new coach and several new players - they should be a top team but against them will be if they can play disciplined football, time will tell.

Warwick, knocked out in the preliminary final in extra time. Reporting that they are doing extra running, relied heavily on their top 10 players last season will need more from player 11 down.

South Toowoomba, bounced back to some form but a few of their older/key players starting to show their age and injuries. Going by the recent AFL 9s day they have a couple of new handy players.

Highfields with a massive win, appointing current Darling Downs - Lions Academy Coach, Bert Cherry as the new senior men's coach. Great appointment for the previously struggling Lions who have recruited several former juniors from Brisbane.

Could it be the year the Lions finally start to reach their potential?

Also, South Burnett Saints who just missed finals last year have appointed a three or four person coaching panel for their men's team. I haven't seen anything like this before, anyone else with thoughts that this will be too many chiefs on game day? Looks like reigning Holman Medalist Nathan Trace is no longer captain, I thought he was but in 2019 won't lead the Saints.

My prediction for the ladder in 2019...word is that it will be a top 5, 4 week final series.

1) University Cougars
2) Coolaroo
3) Warwick Redbacks
4) South Toowoomba
5) South Burnett Saints
6) Goondiwindi Hawks
7) Highfields Lions
8) Toowoomba Tigers
9) Chinchilla SUNS
10) Dalby Swans

University the three time premiers, will be hard to beat and even though they report they have lost numerous senior heads this is always the message out of Baker Street every season. Don't be fooled.

Coolaroo, new coach and several new players - they should be a top team but against them will be if they can play disciplined football, time will tell.

Warwick, knocked out in the preliminary final in extra time. Reporting that they are doing extra running, relied heavily on their top 10 players last season will need more from player 11 down.

South Toowoomba, bounced back to some form but a few of their older/key players starting to show their age and injuries. Going by the recent AFL 9s day they have a couple of new handy players.
Interesting take on things, I reckon you’ve got it just about right. Here’s my thoughts for what they’re worth -

University - 3 in a row means they have to start favourites.
Goondiwindi - Almost impossible to beat at home, will definitely feature in finals.
Warwick - Played some outstanding footy at the end of last season, they’ll be even better this year.
Coolaroo - No doubt that the Roos will return to the finals this season. All reports say they’re back to being a force to be reckoned with.
South Burnett - Very unlucky not to taste finals action last season. An extremely professional off field set up will no doubt lead to more on field success.
South Toowoomba - Only play to work up a thirst for Saturday nights.
Highfields - These guys will be the big improvers, no doubt about it. Quality coach and quality players returning to the club. Watch out.
Tigers - Excellent off field leadership and now a coach who will bring a fresh set of ideas and a more professional approach will see the Tigers start to build for the future.
Dalby - The Swans are a football factory. The amount of quality players they’ve produced over the years is astounding. They just need to keep some of them in Dalby.
Chinchilla - Improving every year. They have some real quality people running the club and if they can attract a couple more key players they’ll be right in it.

Thanks to Reardo and South Toowoomba for heading to Brisbane for a practice match over the weekend.

Good hit out for both sides and played in the right spirit.

Dalby - The Swans are a football factory. The amount of quality players they’ve produced over the years is astounding. They just need to keep some of them in Dalby

Guess they didn't keep enough to field a senior men's team this year.....

As part of the promotion of "More Of The Kangaroo", we have a few representatives travelling to Toowoomba for the AFLQ Darling Downs Season Launch.
If you are interested in buying your own copy of the most definitive history of Queensland football ever written, please contact me for more details.
20181213_135250.jpg

Looking forward to the season kicking off this weekend on the Darling Downs, for me game of the round is Saints vs. Hawks. Trying to get to Kingaroy to check out the footy action as well.

My tips;

- Toowoomba to def Chinchilla
- South Toowoomba to def Highfields
- Goondiwindi to def South Burnett
- USQ to def Warwick

I am tipping close games across the paddock, closet margin will be the USQ/Warwick & Gundy/Sth Burnett. I am feeling Tigers should do a number on the Suns but only by 4-5 goals. Bombers and Lions an interesting match up for mine.

Any thoughts from anyone else?

This is the most open season we’ve had in a long time. University will still start as favorites but there’s a host of challengers for the title in 2019. I honestly have no idea how things are going to pan out, it’s exciting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back