AFL star’s anti-vax views cost him friendship

Remove this Banner Ad

In the peak fortnight of the outbreak to date (25 August to 7 September), the COVID-19 case rate among 2-dose vaccinated people was 49.5 per 100,000 while in unvaccinated people it was 561 per 100,000, a more than 10-fold difference. The rates of COVID-19 ICU admissions or deaths peaked in the fortnight 8 September to 21 September at 0.9 per 100,000 in 2-dose vaccinated people compared to 15.6 per 100,000 in unvaccinated people, a greater than 16-fold difference.

Last edited:
If you're losing friendships over your vaccination views and status then it says more about them then you. I have many friends that refuse to get vaccinated, not for a second will I walk away from the friendship, I'll still continue to see them regularly for beers and BBQs.

If those useless campaigners didn’t threaten my livelihood then I’d rather take my chances than get vaccinated. I never asked to be born and I haven’t wanted to be alive for the entirety of my adult life. Yet sadly I’m here anyway. In fact if it wasn’t for my little girl, I would just opt to become another statistic. The real pandemic.
Hang in there mate. Things will turn around and improve

A lot of bullying campaigners in this thread and forum

Ironically if you have a look at a BLM and “taking a knee” thread it’s the same campaigners. The “ tolerant left” they call themselves

I skimmed through this for a minute then stopped.

- Right wing conspiracy theories ✅
- Left wing self righteousness ✅
- People torn down for their personal choices ✅
- hysteria about how bad the vax is ✅
- hysteria about how deadly covid is ✅

This is why I generally don’t go on BF during off-season!

I skimmed through this for a minute then stopped.

- Right wing conspiracy theories ✅
- Left wing self righteousness ✅
- People torn down for their personal choices ✅
- hysteria about how bad the vax is ✅
- hysteria about how deadly covid is ✅

This is why I generally don’t go on BF during off-season!

07veqcp.jpg

And yet again we see the social media me too gen tear down statues coz a friend saw something on Facebook.
Dare to have a different opinion from the herd these days? Not unless you like the hyenas eating your carcass
He’s entitled to express his view, and others are entitled to disagree, as vehemently as they please.
Just because the majority are in disagreement doesn’t mean he’s being oppressed.
If he were truly being oppressed, he’d be jailed or shot for expressing an opinion.

If you're losing friendships over your vaccination views and status then it says more about them then you. I have many friends that refuse to get vaccinated, not for a second will I walk away from the friendship, I'll still continue to see them regularly for beers and BBQs.
Fortunately I don't have any anti-vax friends (I live in a high-vax rate area), but if I did, I would walk away from that friendship without hesitation. This issue speaks loudly about a person's selfishness, and lack of basic understanding. I have friends who have walked away from friendships because they couldn't reconcile the fact that their friend was not doing the right thing and getting vaccinated.

Fortunately I don't have any anti-vax friends (I live in a high-vax rate area), but if I did, I would walk away from that friendship without hesitation. This issue speaks loudly about a person's selfishness, and lack of basic understanding. I have friends who have walked away from friendships because they couldn't reconcile the fact that their friend was not doing the right thing and getting vaccinated.
I have no issue with anyone in my friendship group who isn't vaccinated. What's the point in living a life where you refuse to talk or be friends with somebody who isn't vaccinated? I value my friendships I have, I would never cut ties with anyone who refuses a vaccine. To me anyone who is unvaxed whether or not they're a friend are the same people they were two years ago. I have no prejudice against anyone.

I have no issue with anyone in my friendship group who isn't vaccinated. What's the point in living a life where you refuse to talk or be friends with somebody who isn't vaccinated? I value my friendships I have, I would never cut ties with anyone who refuses a vaccine. To me anyone who is unvaxed whether or not they're a friend are the same people they were two years ago. I have no prejudice against anyone.

Agree.
Anyone who would cut their friend because they didn’t get the vax is a self righteous, virtue signalling Karen.

Anyone who would cut their friend because the did get the vax is the same.

The hysteria that has been created on both sides is INSANE!!
This isn’t smallpox where 30% of people who contract it die (if you’re not in the vulnerable category it’s almost 0%)

And the vaccine isn’t “the devil”.
Those who take it are better protected.

Anti-vaxxers' stance against the vaccine are based in fear and propaganda, not in facts. It's our moral obligation to get vaccinated, and if people can't see that, I don't want to have that friendship moving forward. Screams of selfishness, ignorance and stubborness. Three traits I don't want in any of the people that I consider a friend.

Meanwhile in nsw on Friday there were 5 deaths. 1 unvaccinated, 2 had one dose, 2 fully vaccinated. Kinda blows your 99.92% stat of mortalities from unvaccinated away.

Lol

Agree.
Anyone who would cut their friend because they didn’t get the vax is a self righteous, virtue signalling Karen.

Anyone who would cut their friend because the did get the vax is the same.

The hysteria that has been created on both sides is INSANE!!
This isn’t smallpox where 30% of people who contract it die.
And the vaccine isn’t “the devil”.
Couldn't agree more. I'm amazed at how divided people are in regards to vaccinated and not vaccinated. I couldn't careless if you're vaccinated or not, I will see you for who you are and what impact you have on my life. Having a vaccine or not doesn't impact my opinion of somebody, not in the slightest way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you aware that some people can get medical exemptions?

Anti-vaxxers' stance against the vaccine are based in fear and propaganda, not in facts. It's our moral obligation to get vaccinated, and if people can't see that, I don't want to have that friendship moving forward. Screams of selfishness, ignorance and stubborness. Three traits I don't want in any of the people that I consider a friend.
Thats fine, they can have that view, end of the day anyone who isn't vaccinated will still be a friend of mine. Im happy to be friends with anti vaxers as they are happy to be friends with me. Life is far too short and precious to care whether or not somebody is vaccinated.

Thats fine, they can have that view, end of the day anyone who isn't vaccinated will still be a friend of mine. Im happy to be friends with anti vaxers as they are happy to be friends with me. Life is far too short and precious to care whether or not somebody is vaccinated.
You're right, life is too short. So let's not shorten that for those that are most vulnerable because some choose not to get vaccinated. I always think: people can do whatever they like, as long as it isn't hurting anyone else. That's why I draw the line at people's vaccine decision.

Anyway, agree to disagree. End of discussion.

1. Do you or do you not concede that saying people were dying “hand over fist” from clots from AZ was wrong?

No. 73 mostly healthy people dying from a specific medication in one country is a hell of a lot. Can you name another medication which has caused that many deaths in the space of a few months?

2. I know it got a little torrid in here so perhaps you have me confused with someone else, but I never said anything about the federal government. Nor did I ever call you an anti-vaxxer. I was only ever pressing you to own your outrageous claim that AZ was killing people hand over fist, and yet again, here you continue to try to muddy that claim.

Yes. I apologise, it wasn't you but another Sydney-supporting poster who immediately slunk off.

3. Just so you know, I had the AZ vaccine, very early on. The best vaccine to get was the available one, and any half-numerate fool could see that the risks of clotting were massively overblown by various parties. I have no idea what their motives may have been.

Eurosurveillance is a reputable peer-reviewed medical journal. This wasn't a scare started by lefties or the Murdoch press. Here is a link to the study itself.

If it was obvious to you that this study and the doctors that prepared it were wrong, good luck to you.

Sweden joins Germany, France, and 15 other countries in suspending AstraZeneca’s vaccine over possible side effects

If it was obvious to you that these countries were jumping at shadows, good luck to you.

4. I never called for Tom Wills’ statue to be pulled down, so I’m not sure what you’re referring to. I said the Chicago Tribune article raised some important questions for discussion, including what to do with statues of people who have been revealed by historical research to be less than worthy of commemoration, and I linked an article discussing a statue in Hobart of a former Tasmanian governor who sawed the face off a corpse, which seemed very germane to the subject. You were very keen to use the opportunity to urinate on the practises of the national broadcaster, and IIRC I commented at the time that it was ironic that, given your valuable and greatly appreciated work as BF’s unofficial statsnerd (for which I again thank you sincerely), the two statistics that seemed to cause you immense cognitive dissonance were the irrefutable ones that (a) survey after survey show the ABC to be one of the most trusted and loved institutions in Australia, and that (b) inquiry after inquiry into bias at the ABC, most of them commissioned by the right-wing side of politics, have found no evidence of significant bias at the ABC.

i see nothing more that needs to be said between you and me, other than for you to categorically agree that you were incorrect to claim AZ was killing people hand over fist.

Yeah I apologise for raising Wills and shouldn't have done it. Was still seeing red after being labelled an anti-vaxxer with nothing to back it, and not receiving an apology.

Next time I will just stay the * out of crazy threads and let the participants have at it, misinformation and all.

it screams that your friends are happy to take a chance with your life for their own means. what kind of friend wants to create a significantly greater risk of their friends coming to harm, just to suit their own political agenda?

No. 73 mostly healthy people dying from a specific medication in one country is a hell of a lot. Can you name another medication which has caused that many deaths in the space of a few months?
Well I don't consider it many at all in the midst of the first pandemic in a century; not in a country with a population of 68 million; not given it's from nearly 50 million doses; and given (as other posters have pointed out) the enormous number of deaths it has prevented. That is not "dying hand over fist" in my books.

Eurosurveillance is a reputable peer-reviewed medical journal. This wasn't a scare started by lefties or the Murdoch press. Here is a link to the study itself.

LOL, again, it says "rare adverse event" in the preview text.

But yes, I agree, let's leave it there. This thread has gotten stupid.

Hang in there mate. Things will turn around and improve

A lot of bullying campaigners in this thread and forum

Ironically if you have a look at a BLM and “taking a knee” thread it’s the same campaigners. The “ tolerant left” they call themselves
Once again, telling someone they're stupid for disputing science, yet providing zero science to back their claim, is not bullying.

There is no obligation on any of us to tolerate wilful stupidity. Viruses don't care about hurt feelings.

Couldn't agree more. I'm amazed at how divided people are in regards to vaccinated and not vaccinated. I couldn't careless if you're vaccinated or not, I will see you for who you are and what impact you have on my life. Having a vaccine or not doesn't impact my opinion of somebody, not in the slightest way.
They're not. At a guess extrapolating from vaxx rates, 95% of the country are sensible about it, and a very vocal 5% want it some other way. Hardly "divided".

Well I don't consider it many at all in the midst of the first pandemic in a century; not in a country with a population of 68 million; not given it's from nearly 50 million doses; and given (as other posters have pointed out) the enormous number of deaths it has prevented. That is not "dying hand over fist" in my books.

Yes you can point to the fatality rate and rightly claim in isolation that it is tiny. However it is unacceptable for healthy people to be killed by medication; these are not people who would've died anyway. In any other circumstance (i.e. public not at imminent risk of death from epidemic) it would've been pulled immediately, and probably doomed from that point.

I'm glad they managed to bring the side effects under control.

July 28 - 411 cases, 73 deaths
Oct 21 - 421 cases, 72 deaths

... is a stunningly successful turnaround, at face value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back