AFLW Suns AFLW Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Sources suggest the Saints are frontrunners for Wardlaw. However the Saints may need to part with Tarni White, who is in the sights of Gold Coast, in order to land Wardlaw.

while Saint Clara Fitzpatrick is another player linked to the Suns, who have tended to pick off talent from St Kilda in recent years.

Gold Coast’s Serene Watson could also move to a Victorian club.

Sources suggest the Saints are frontrunners for Wardlaw. However the Saints may need to part with Tarni White, who is in the sights of Gold Coast, in order to land Wardlaw.

while Saint Clara Fitzpatrick is another player linked to the Suns, who have tended to pick off talent from St Kilda in recent years.

Would be sad to lose another academy product in Serene Watson.

Losing Jesse Wardlaw would be a MASSIVE blow for Brisbane. Might bring them back to earth and give us a chance to be competitive in AFLW QClashes again.

Tarni White is of course a Queensland junior so it makes sense for us to target her. She would already know a lot of our girls.

Fitzpatrick seems to be a tall defender from Ireland so perhaps our recruiters have identified that as an area of weakness.

Would be sad to lose another academy product in Serene Watson.
It would be sad to lose Serene. She seems like such a larrikin around the club and almost like our female version of Brandon Ellis. You need people like that and I feel like she's just about to kick on as a player after playing 30+ games. Hopefully she follows Kindy's lead from last year and stays committed to us despite the interest from down south.

AFLW prospect Ellie Hampson’s draft desperation sparked disordered eating hell​

It’s hard to pinpoint the moment Ellie Hampson developed disordered eating and exercise.
Her sheer desperation to be drafted into the AFLW made her play through an ankle injury in 2019, but when her body finally gave way she became fixated on calories and riddled with thoughts that any weight gain while sidelined would ruin her career.

She still achieved her dream of becoming drafted to the Gold Coast Suns, but in the process inflicted a stress reaction injury in her shin and more foot issues.
In actual fact, lack of calories only increased her recovery time.
“There were a couple of conversations here and there about what my eating was like, and I kind of fluffed over it,” Hampson said.
“Then I realised that (eating) was actually the issue and it wasn’t something I could just change (own my own).
“There are days where there could be things you don’t want to eat, or you try and not eat that, but at the end of the day if you don’t you pass out at training, so you have to,” she said.
“You’ve got to change those wired in your brain to allow that information to sink in.
“That took a long time and is still mending now.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLW socials have been posting mock SOO teams

Vic Metro- V. Saad (onfield), C. Rowbottom (Depth)

Vic Country- C. Whitfort (depth)

South Aus- T.Meyer (depth)

Queensland- D. D’Arcy (onfield), K. Howarth (bench), J. Pregelj (bench), J. Stanton (bench), J. Dupuy (depth), L. Bella (depth), W. Randell (depth), E. Hampson (depth), S. Watson (depth)

Suns have missed out on Tarni White after she has nominated the pies, but found this.

Elsewhere, Gold Coast is expected to move for St Kilda key defender Clara Fitzpatrick, with the Irishwoman hoping to relocate to Queensland for work-related reasons.

In turn, the Saints have interest in Suns defender Serene Watson.

But it's understood Richmond is also bracing to lose Maddy Brancatisano to Gold Coast over the next month, despite its efforts to retain the midfielder at Punt Road on an extended contract.

The top four teams after finals - Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, and North Melbourne - can lose up to five players. Clubs who finished from fifth to eighth - Richmond, Collingwood, Geelong, and the Western Bulldogs - can lose a maximum of two players via the PSP rules. All remaining clubs, including Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide, and Sydney, can lose just one player in this fashion. It is possible some clubs may lose no players at all.

It'll have to be through trade.

Given who you lose through this period right now (until the 8th) only applies to the 4 new clubs
Like Lions or st kilda, can't just poach a player for nothing. They have to wait until the trade period opens up next week

It'll have to be through trade.

Given who you lose through this period right now (until the 8th) only applies to the 4 new clubs
Like Lions or st kilda, can't just poach a player for nothing. They have to wait until the trade period opens up next week
If Ellie was to leave (I still doubt it is true) I would think we would expect a player in return not a draft pick as that would mean pretty much nothing in a QLD based draft pool.

Could see Fitzpatrick for Watson happening though although I really hope Watson stays.

Yep a massive brainfade decision that is for sure.
Why? Why? Why? I am completely devastated by today’s announcement. What a horrible decision on moving on Jade. Our worst AFLW list Management ever. Jade didn’t deserve to be treated like this. She is our best defender and one of the best in the competition. One of our greatest AFLW players ever. She was loyal to the Club and her team - one example from last season that I witnessed firsthand. She travelled down to Hobart to watch the team play in Round 1 when she was out with her ACL even though she didn’t have to... She cheered all game and supported the girls - she also made and effort to say g’day to me at the game which I really appreciate! She is the heart and soul of our womens program and is a major part of our AFLW culture.. this is now gone. She brought leadership to the team in a team full of young and developing players. She is not only a fantastic player but a ripper of a person and appreciated all supporters, members and her teammates. I really hope I am seeing her in the AFLW next season because she is one of the best players and people in the game. I still don’t understand why the Club has made this decision. Please explain why this decision has been made. We demand answers.

Yep a massive brainfade decision that is for sure.
Why? Why? Why? I am completely devastated by today’s announcement. What a horrible decision on moving on Jade. Our worst AFLW list Management ever. Jade didn’t deserve to be treated like this. She is our best defender and one of the best in the competition. One of our greatest AFLW players ever. She was loyal to the Club and her team - one example from last season that I witnessed firsthand. She travelled down to Hobart to watch the team play in Round 1 when she was out with her ACL even though she didn’t have to... She cheered all game and supported the girls - she also made and effort to say g’day to me at the game which I really appreciate! She is the heart and soul of our womens program and is a major part of our AFLW culture.. this is now gone. She brought leadership to the team in a team full of young and developing players. She is not only a fantastic player but a ripper of a person and appreciated all supporters, members and her teammates. I really hope I am seeing her in the AFLW next season because she is one of the best players and people in the game. I still don’t understand why the Club has made this decision. Please explain why this decision has been made. We demand answers.
Its unfortunate, and sucks for her. Delistings had to happen, and she was unlucky... but that's just business unfortunately. You had to have room to bring others in, or for the upcoming draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back