Aliesha Newman
Recruited from:
Collingwood
Height: 163cm
DOB: 16/09/1995
Position: Medium Forward
Aliesha-Newman2.jpg
Coach Scott Gowans said:

“Aliesha is an outside wing, half-forward flank who brings with her explosiveness and the ability to kick goals. She’s the type of player who takes the game on and breaks lines, which is the way we want to play footy.

“Aliesha is also a strong leader, and as an Indigenous woman she is eager to share her cultural background too. She’s done a lot of work designing Indigenous guernseys and boots, and overall is a great driver of furthering the game’s understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and culture.”

Newman Aliesha.jpg

Last edited:
QUICK Collingwood forward Aliesha Newman is heading north, taking up an opportunity to join Sydney's inaugural AFLW list for season seven.

Newman kicked 16 goals across her 39 games at Collingwood and Melbourne and is best known for a stunning goal on the run from the tightest of angles which saw her win Goal of the Year in 2018.

"Newy is a much-loved member of our program and has not only been a valued member of the team but has also made a significant contribution in the club's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community programs," Collingwood Head of Women's Football Jess Burger said of Newman's departure.

Aliesha Newman gave her side the perfect start to the third quarter with this brilliant running goal coming inside the first minute

Newman gives Pies red-hot start to second half​

00:37MAR 27. 2022. 2:12 PM
Aliesha Newman gave her side the perfect start to the third quarter with this brilliant running goal coming inside the first minute

"We thank her for her time with us and wish her the best with her new chapter at the Swans."

Wears headgear
“I suffered a concussion that actually put me out of the game for eight months, with on and off physical activity and zero contact training.

“This is actually the reason I have joined team Steeden.”

Newman is one of two AFL/AFLW players wearing the Steeden headgear, with the extra protection and comfort making it also the choice for Melbourne’s Angus Brayshaw, with the midfielder also having a number of serious head knocks.

Although Steeden headgear can’t guarantee protection against concussion, it was a comforting element for Newman to add to her matchday uniform.

Thanks for the link to the article.

Am I right in thinking that Newman is our only female Indigenous player? I'm not aware of any other Indigenous players on our list.

Thanks for the link to the article.

Am I right in thinking that Newman is our only female Indigenous player? I'm not aware of any other Indigenous players on our list.
yes, I think so.

Loved this video. Bit of a tearjerker. Reflected well on Moy I thought. Really great hearing how happy Newie is at the club despite being separated from Danica while she's in Sydney.

Ahead of Marn Grook Round, proud Ningy Ningy woman and AFLW star Aliesha Newman discusses growing up and meeting her heroes for On the Mark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a little suprised and disappointed Aliesha is leaving us and also curious about why.

Aliesha has provided invaluable experience and excellent goal sense as well as offering quite a bit off field with her lovable personality and designing of our Indigenous jumper. That's why I'll miss her and am sorry to see her go. Possibly she's been offered a longer contract and also better money. I guess it makes sense in that Giants probably need us more than her (since we're clearly on our way whereas them not so much) and so probably they have been willing to value her more highly for that reason.

I might make my comments about why I'm surprised we are letting Aliesha go in terms of our list elsewhere.

Good luck and best wishes Aliesha! Thanks for your contribution while you were with us. I hope you have some great memories to take with you and treasure, including playing in our first ever win and scoring a goal playing in the jumper you designed.

Incidentally, I'm choosing to ignore both the low value the Giants placed on Newy at the trade table and their provocative tweet. GWS are not a force in the AFLW so who cares.

From our point of view, I hope our being so reasonable at the trade table was a gesture of respect and a sign that we treat our players well, as we have done many times in the past with our AFL men's players.

Incidentally, I'm choosing to ignore both the low value the Giants placed on Newy at the trade table and their provocative tweet. GWS are not a force in the AFLW so who cares.

From our point of view, I hope our being so reasonable at the trade table was a gesture of respect and a sign that we treat our players well, as we have done many times in the past with our AFL men's players.
I guess she was out of contract? Perhaps she's a restless soul. GWS will be her 4th club after Melbourne (4 years), Collingwood (2 years) and us (2 years). Originally from Qld.
Her jumper and boots were amazing! Pretty sure Errol wore his until season's end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back