News Andrew Welsh retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2004
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I can't recall
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ew-wells-retires/story-e6frf9jf-1226160735200

Welsh, 28, the vice-captain this season, will announce his retirement today and address the fans at tonight's best and fairest count.

He had discussions with coach James Hird yesterday morning, where he acknowledged injuries would prevent him from continuing 2012.

Welsh played 134 games in his first seven seasons with the Bombers, but only 28 in final three seasons as time and again his body failed him.

Re: Hird press conference at 9:30 tomorrow

Announcing Mick Malthouse as an Assistant Coach. :D

Maybe Ricky Dyson is off to GWS?

No idea really...

Maybe for the whole Hocking and Jenkins incident ?

If that warrants a press conference from the senior coach, then this is officially the MOST OVERBLOWN STORY IN CHRISTENDOM.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welsh retirement sounds logical. Can't see him getting a game next year.

Cameron Ling to join the EFC coaching staff.
Called it the other day lol.

Jokes aside though, Welsh retirement seems likely. Didn't I read that somewhere here that he's struggling big time with a foot injury and he needs surgery that will put him out for a year?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ew-wells-retires/story-e6frf9jf-1226160735200

Andrew WELLS is retiring apparently. Great sub-editing right there.

Presuming this is what the presser is about.

I always had a lot of time for Welsh. I know he was one of the more maligned players here, but a few years ago he was a dependable and tough player. He just had no luck with injuries, which wrecked his fitness and gave him no chance of stringing any decent form together. And on the rare occasion he looked like doing anything (i.e. his good start against Geelong this year), he'd somehow get injured unluckily.

He wouldn't have got a game next year, but I'll be sorry to see him go nonetheless. Always tried his hardest and gave Essendon ten years of solid service. Best of luck Welshy..

did the rite thing couldn't see him getting a game next year, every time he played he was subbed out in the 1st quarter. He was a decent player had a good couple years i think in 09 he had a really good season as a tagger and toweled up judd both times, anyway i wish him luck in whatever he has planned for life after footy. ... .. i think he has a fashion thing lol

It's a shame, at his best he was one great footballer to watch. Just a pity injuries let him down.

I wonder if Sheeds will try coax him into 2 years at GWS?

If the rumours about him needing a career-ending lower leg operation are true, probably not.

Sadly for him, he's 28 but has the body of a very old and tired 35 year old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back