Remove this Banner Ad

Miqar_Baqfhied

Cancelled
May 31, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Thinking of getting into coaching. The more I think about it the more I want to do it. Ive played competitive footy, cricket all my life and now tennis, and have seen the best and worst of the coaching profession in amatuer circles (well, probably weighted towards the worst tbh...).

I have heaps of ideas on how I want to go about it - Im going to have a 'game-based' ethos where instead of running thorugh repetitive closed drills all the time, its going to replicate real gameplay. Limiting closed skills like the pointless kick to kick for specifc skill development only and adding situational/defensive pressure as much as possible, or getting rid of the stock standard mindless bowl/bat net sessions and instead replicating match situations....sort of along these lines, limiting waiting time (no standing around) and a big focus on positive reinforcement. Basically doing everything different to the worst things Ive experienced as a player over my time.

Just wondering where coaches out there started? Level 1 or II coaching certificate, then starting with juniors? If anyone has any experiences or suggestions, cheers.

Yep, coaching juniors and teens myself in the individual sport you mentioned.

I'd start from the bottom (juniors) and gradually work my way up. Can certainly get coaching certificates, will add to your pay if you work under someone in the individual sports. Wouldn't go and get it without getting some experience first, though. Nagging/ignorant parents can be a bastard and it might not be what you thought it might.

Try them out, get a few months experience and if you like it grow from there. :thumbsu: I know some who get their certificates paid for by their bosses, so if you show some initiative to the right people - you should get rewarded. Anymore Qs chuck us a PM.

Without the repetitive drills until they can execute basic skills in their sleep, they won't be able to do them in game situations. There's a reason the best teams spend time doing basic drills.

Without the repetitive drills until they can execute basic skills in their sleep, they won't be able to do them in game situations. There's a reason the best teams spend time doing basic drills.

Yeah I definitely understand and agree with this, repetition is essential to skill development and making skills autonomous to a point they can be performed without thought under pressure, but it seems like a lot of training is mindless. Don't know how many times at cricket training I've seen bowlers just come in and bowl over and over without a plan, or guys kicking to each other off a step to a stationary target (this isn't a skill that is performed very frequently on match day), with no incentive like keeping the ball of the ground for example. Or it tennis - someone practicing serving focussing on nothing in particular like placement, % consistency etc.

Having purpose and providing feedback is important, in my opinion, as is focussing on one particular skill or even an individual aspect of a skill. Just my thoughts on it all.

Training alone will not get you to the heights of your profession/hobby.

Perfect training (high intensity and with purpose) will give you the opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back