Player Watch Ash Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t really think he has the aggression to play anything other than rebounding half-back, and if he had a couple of goals kicked on him it might be very bad for his state of mind.

In the ruck he would only be expected to compete and wouldn’t be on the last line, plus would be very involved.
I think the problem is he doesn't have any agression at all. He doesn't have the tank to play half-back. I was hopeful for Ash and will back him while he's contracted, but I can't see him turning things around anytime soon and worry he will 'go softly into the night'.

Yeah he's clearly struggling mentally right now for one or another reason , give him some time off and hope he can sort it out.
He just might not be up to it. He wont be the first player to look good early in his career and then struggle once oppo teams start to put some effort in stopping them.

We've had J Anthony, J Stephenson, C Dawes all look a million dollars early in their careers.

The harm is it could be even more of a disaster and he falls so far down a hole there's no coming back.
He got played in defence and was a dream for Coburg. Equally, in the ruck, he was beaten. He's stuck in the rabbit hole but switching it up isn't the answer. If Carmichael can't play wing, Johnson would be worse and it would be insulting to Fin to play him on the inside given he hasn't shown much tackling ability up forward. Sullivan, Harrison, Fin, Long - all much better in the middle than Johnson. I think we can all agree on that.

Quite frankly, Purcell was more inspiring than Begg or Johnson and he's a VFL player.

He just might not be up to it. He wont be the first player to look good early in his career and then struggle once oppo teams start to put some effort in stopping them.

We've had J Anthony, J Stephenson, C Dawes all look a million dollars early in their careers.
Agreed.

Jack Hutchinson has played a better season. Cooper MacDonald (second gamer) took more marks. Sam Glover performed better. These are VFL boys.

I'll back AJ to turn it around.
Couldn't give a hoot about what a Coburg assistant thinks.
He may not end up being a star. He will play and help us win a few more games.
He has the best coaches in the system helping him.

I think it's worth trying something

A hail mary of sorts because I don't see him having a future, at Collingwood, or anyone else, on recent form.
Time to try something else with him.
Many here didn't see a future in WHE, Murphy and others.
Mitchell, Sidey and even Pendles were cooked.
How did that turn out?

The pile on of Ash has been over the top.

He is currently a Collingwood player and I would have thought that despite him being out of form in a number of supporters eyes, he is still worthy of our support.

Think before posting.

Many here didn't see a future in WHE, Murphy and others.
Mitchell, Sidey and even Pendles were cooked.
How did that turn out?
True but he's now had a while to turn it around and hasn't.
Most of last year was also out of form too. At some point, you have to call it. It's getting close IMO.

He strikes me as disinterested. Needs something to rejuvinate him. A move to the backline might just do that.

True but he's now had a while to turn it around and hasn't.
Most of last year was also out of form too. At some point, you have to call it. It's getting close IMO.

He strikes me as disinterested. Needs something to rejuvinate him. A move to the backline might just do that.
Frampton a case in point.
Look at his age.
He turned it around. Premiership player now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Named in defence this week for the VFL.
That would be because they want Glover up forward as he’s been the better player this season. He’ll swing forward at some point. I have little hope for it. AJ at this stage is a moveable magnet.

Should have kept MacDonald but AJ has priority.

The pile on of Ash has been over the top.

He is currently a Collingwood player and I would have thought that despite him being out of form in a number of supporters eyes, he is still worthy of our support.

Think before posting.
Nobody has posted like that when people pile on Cox or WHE or the Brown brothers. I don't understand why people need to think before posting critical comments on AJ's football ability or loss of form. There have been "pile ons" on countless players. Callum Brown copped it all the time. But it wasn't personal most of the time, just frustration with his inability to do what he did at VFL level in the seniors on a consistent basis. The criticism of AJ is no different.

Nobody has posted like that when people pile on Cox or WHE or the Brown brothers. I don't understand why people need to think before posting critical comments on AJ's football ability or loss of form. There have been "pile ons" on countless players. Callum Brown copped it all the time. But it wasn't personal most of the time, just frustration with his inability to do what he did at VFL level in the seniors on a consistent basis. The criticism of AJ is no different.
Agreed. Provided it’s respectful, shouldn’t be off limits. Not an attack on AJ but his performance.

Let’s be frank: AJ’s season has not been VFL standard. Thought before posting.

Many had him as the walk-up start to replace McStay and have a big year, the disappointment in how that's worked out is entirely understandable.

That he is struggling to hold a mark or even get a kick in the VFL is bewildering, and might just prove career-ending if he can't turn it around.

The thing is, we all know he is so much better than his current form suggests, so you start to wonder what else is going on in his life or between his ears that is affecting his ability to such an extent.

AJ at his best has a lot to offer the team, I just hope for his sake he can find his way back to it quickly.

I find interesting with the pile on with AJ yet Reef who was very highly thought of, was a early draft pick and has had more time at the club he gets away with very little criticism despite being just as poor as AJ even more so when you consider Aj was a mid season draft pick and Reef was first Rd. Just wanted to put it out there as reef seems to get a charmed run on bf.

I like the idea of trying AJ down back. With his athleticism I can see him being that disruptive third player up killing the contest. He’s got the skills and the kicking to do a great job but does he have the mindset, that’s the big question, honestly I don’t know. Maybe he’ll be one of those players who should make it but doesn’t. Not the first and won’t be the last of those.

I find interesting with the pile on with AJ yet Reef who was very highly thought of, was a early draft pick and has had more time at the club he gets away with very little criticism despite being just as poor as AJ even more so when you consider Aj was a mid season draft pick and Reef was first Rd. Just wanted to put it out there as reef seems to get a charmed run on bf.

I like the idea of trying AJ down back. With his athleticism I can see him being that disruptive third player up killing the contest. He’s got the skills and the kicking to do a great job but does he have the mindset, that’s the big question, honestly I don’t know. Maybe he’ll be one of those players who should make it but doesn’t. Not the first and won’t be the last of those.
Reef is not as poor as AJ.

With the luck AJ,s having at the moment, don’t be surprised if he takes a hanger down back , plays on & kicks it the wrong way ! lol 😂 Jokes aside …..wish him all the best down back Saturday, 👍

Named in defence this week for the VFL.
Interesting! And what I would like to see. Change it up. See if it inspires something.

On a side note, I just watched a kayo mini of last years game in round 10 against Carlton. He took that incredible speccie. Kicked two goals too.

I’d love to see this bloke succeed. He looks like someone whose heart isn’t in it to me.

I think you have 1 player who shows determination and the other seems to lack it.
McInnes has had fewer opportunities than Johnson, and when he is in the VFL, he has put in the effort and performed. Same cannot be said about Johnson.

I'd love to see Johnson back, and I hope he performs well in the backline. But, the way he is going concerns me.
Could be as simple as him being home sick, or just losing the hunger for the game.
I hope not, but something isn't right, because he isn't VFL standard at he moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back