Michael Riley

Team Captain
Jun 17, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Brighton VFA
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/rss/title/Victoria/460

The 'Australasian' was a weekly pictorial newspaper 1864 - 1946, based in Melbourne

In the last week it has started appearing on trove. There are many great football photos in it and they have been scanned so that they are good quality...unlike the Argus photos on Trove.

If you are looking for new photos that you have not seen before, there is some great stuff.

BTW Anyone know any useful trove tricks.

I discovered that you can type football 1929 - 1934 and Trove will look for articles on football between 1929 and 1934. I often use this but it is not documented anywhere easy to find.

I discovered that you can type football 1929 - 1934 and Trove will look for articles on football between 1929 and 1934. I often use this but it is not documented anywhere easy to find.
My "trick" is to find a word that was not in common use, such as "shinboner" and then search that word with "football" in an advanced search or particular clubs. But one has to remember that a lot of words we use today are "modern" and were not commonly used, if at all in the earlier years.

In my meanderings, I have found that 19th century sports journalists called clubs odd names. In South Australia, instead of nicknames, the clubs would have an s tacked after their names, thus you would find a match review referring to the Ports ruckmen or the Norwoods captain. I'm not sure if this was exclusive to South Australia- if it happened in Victoria it might help in searching for 19th century match reports and the likes.

If you can search by tags (I have NFI how to do this from scratch, but if you find an article with one you can click through to the full list) some genius has been adding the appropriate club ones to early VFL articles. Would encourage everyone to add tags to good articles about clubs (especially if you're looking at obscure papers) that don't already have them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back