Current Australian brothers Jack & Callum Robinson missing in Baja California, Mexico * Murdered

Remove this Banner Ad

The Perth men were on a surf trip in the state of Baja California, in Mexico's north-west, when they failed to arrive at their accommodation in the city of Rosarito. They were travelling with an American man, Jack Carter Rhoad, who is also missing. There has been no contact with family since April 27th.

Callum is a champion lacrosse player based in San Diego, and Jake went over to visit him so they could travel down the Mexican coastline late last month.

Local media reports their vehicle was found burnt out.

The story is developing with two men who are also brothers and one woman who is involved in a relationship with one of them, detained through inquiries.

The woman who was arrested was reportedly found in possession of a stolen phone, according to local journalist Oliver Quintero.

"That is actually how [the three people] were found," he told ABC Radio Perth.

"The police were able to track the GPS on one of the phones and that's how they got the lady – she was the one who had the phone and was with the other two gentlemen."

An advisory from Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) says travellers in Mexico should exercise a high degree of caution due to the threat of violent crime.

Baja California is among the worst states for violent crime.

Fighting between drug cartels has contributed to a spike in the local homicide rate, which is one of the worst in Mexico.

I fear that the ending to this story will not be good. I feel sorry for the parents.

Mexico can be quite dangerous, I do know a few who went on surfing adventures and none of them didn't have some kind of nerve wracking experience. Been there myself cluelessly careering around all over off the tourist areas and driving headlong in to a tricky situation we couldn't get out of fast enough.

We were lucky the driver read the situation straight away.

Mexico can be quite dangerous, I do know a few who went on surfing adventures and none of them didn't have some kind of nerve wracking experience. Been there myself cluelessly careering around all over off the tourist areas and driving headlong in to a tricky situation we couldn't get out of fast enough.

We were lucky the driver read the situation straight away.
really, what happened?

really, what happened?

On a dirt road heading in to the mountains, rounded the bend driving pretty fast and we ran straight in to some kind of transfer operation where one truck was moving (cocaine we figured) bricks in to another one. They were all heavily armed, some in a kind of militia type uniform and there was a heap of them.

They looked a bit surprised, some yelling and waving guns around making a move to approach the car.

Geesh, how did you get away from that?

Good driver jammed the brakes on, put it in reverse and started turning the car around, laughing as if not concerned about it with some hand gesturing apologies palms forward. "Have a good day! Bye!"

I did hear a couple of shots or thought I did, my head was down in the back seat.

Good driver jammed the brakes on, put it in reverse and started turning the car around, laughing as if not concerned about it with some hand gesturing apologies palms forward. "Have a good day! Bye!"

I did hear a couple of shots or thought I did, my head was down in the back seat.
geez very lucky

Why would they murder people just for seeing a drug exchange? Most people would just ignore it and keep going about their day. Even if they told police the police wouldn't be there in time

It's possible the police were among them, some were in a kind of uniform. All heavily armed. Imo though, you can't run in to that kind of a situation without recognising the obvious potential for something to go badly wrong and you could end up in a hole.

This far on the information there is, I suspect these disappearances might be more to do with robbery.

It's possible the police were among them, some were in a kind of uniform. All heavily armed. Imo though, you can't run in to that kind of a situation without recognising the obvious potential for something to go badly wrong and you could end up in a hole.

This far on the information there is, I suspect these disappearances might be more to do with robbery.
Not that it has been confirmed but of so killed for a phone and a few dollars, what a waste of 2 lives

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would they murder for robbery though? You'd imagine if held at gunpoint they'd give up the phone, tablet, jewellery etc.

Why would they murder for robbery though? You'd imagine if held at gunpoint they'd give up the phone, tablet, jewellery
for the thrill of it, they don't care of over there, lots of missing people over there no doubt been murdered and buried

I remember this one and saw an episode on 60 mins about the many murders around there;

Maybe a similar situation with this case. I noticed gangs of young men when I was there just driving around looking for a target, motioning to pull over. Another reason not to stray.

But the burned-out van was discovered on November 21.

According to state prosecutors, the van was intercepted by a gang driving a car that flashed police-like lights.

Mr Coleman was shot in the face when he tried to resist. The robbers then killed Mr Lucas, drove their vehicle to another location and set it on fire.

Maybe a similar situation with this case. I noticed gangs of young men when I was there just driving around looking for a target, motioning to pull over. Another reason not to stray.

But the burned-out van was discovered on November 21.

According to state prosecutors, the van was intercepted by a gang driving a car that flashed police-like lights.

Mr Coleman was shot in the face when he tried to resist. The robbers then killed Mr Lucas, drove their vehicle to another location and set it on fire.
not sure why anyone would go there, horrendous

Feel sorry for young people that grow up in a civilised safe country and then ignorantly travel abroad and expect the same wherever they go.

There should be more taught in high school about the dangers of travelling overseas now that it’s such a rite of passage for young kids to get life experiences overseas.

My guess is a couple of low lives, lower end drug dealers (not cartel) saw the somewhat nice car the three were driving and assumed they were wealthy, ambushed them at the place they were staying and killed them, then ransacked and stole what they could. One of the perps gave a phone to a girlfriend who stupidly turned it on, not knowing authorities were tracking the GPS, hence police interest in them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back