Australian Cricket Thread - No.3 šŸ

Remove this Banner Ad

Iā€™ll need a little time to gather my thoughts. I watched Botham do it in 1981 and never thought Iā€™d see the like of it again. However 73 runs were needed when I thought game over and they were scored in about 11 overs and Stokes got all but one.

The Aussies succumbed to the pressure. The field settings were crazy. The bowling was the worst I can remember. Where were the cool heads out on the ground? The ground is small and as long as Stokes could get under it there were no fields that could be set to stop it.

Ben Stokes is an incredible cricketer. His raw power is something to witness. I think Botham got 149. Stokes got 135*. Botham had Bob Willis to help him win the game. Stokes did it on his own.

Now the elephant in the room.

Stokes was out LBW and that is Joel Wilsonā€™s worst decision ever. And thatā€™s saying something. The umpiring in this series has been shocking. I want to see the best umpires stand in test matches. Bias doesnā€™t come into it now with the review system. Dar, Wilson and Gaffney are terrible. 20 incorrect decisions would not be an overstatement in the series so far. Most given have been overturned but you donā€™t want it. Itā€™s terrible that the players and spectators have to put up with this.

In the end Australia had two chances to win the game. We stuffed them both. Lyon missed the run out chance but that happens. The decision to review when Leach was clearly not out defied logic. And the captain and the vice-captain made that decision.

Weā€™ve got two chances to redeem ourselves but Iā€™m betting weā€™ve lost the series today.
yep, a loss like that is hard to come back from and they'll have their tails up when they were all but finished............

yep, a loss like that is hard to come back from and they'll have their tails up when they were all but finished............
I feel like Carlton has lost the grand final. Thatā€™s how hard this has hit me. Iā€™ll need a month to recover. The cricket matches coming up fill me with dread.

I feel like Carlton has lost the grand final. Thatā€™s how hard this has hit me. Iā€™ll need a month to recover. The cricket matches coming up fill me with dread.
these sorts of loses are generational - I still recall waking up to the carnage of botham in 81............very rare............consequently high intensity & impact - dravid and laxman in 2001 is another nightmarish loss that comes to mind........every 20 years or so the impossible happens........those 3 are the worst for me

Last edited:
Pace attack looked fatigued today and also didnā€™t handle the pressure.

Can we go with all 4 quicks and Lyon, would mean Paine goes and Wade bats 6 and keeps wickets.

#WestIndies80ā€™s
I'd be content to fly in the best pure gloveman in the country, forget batting. Bat them at 11 if you have to.

Wade can't be it, either. The pitches have been pretty challenging for keepers this series. And I don't think they'll drop Paine.

Pace attack looked fatigued today and also didnā€™t handle the pressure.

Can we go with all 4 quicks and Lyon, would mean Paine goes and Wade bats 6 and keeps wickets.

#WestIndies80ā€™s
Who takes the captaincy? That's a dilemma within itself. We are in a bit of trouble for sure, there's a good chance they get Jimmy Anderson back for the next test as well.

I'd be content to fly in the best pure gloveman in the country, forget batting. Bat them at 11 if you have to.

Wade can't be it, either. The pitches have been pretty challenging for keepers this series. And I don't think they'll drop Paine.
Yeah youā€™re right.

What changes then, Smith will be back, Labuschagne has to stay.

Harris in or out ??
Khawaja open or first drop ??
Wade or Head out ??

Yeah youā€™re right.

Harris in or out ??
Wade or Head out ??
I think it could be khawaja out if they keep Harris in.

Yeah youā€™re right.

Harris in or out ??
Wade or Head out ??
Khawaja out, Labu to 3, Smith to 4.

Wade or Head is a coin toss. Do you want 20-30 runs every innings but always be a chance to go out, no matter how in Head is all innings, or do you want Wade 100 or less than 10?

We need that 50 from Warner in the first dig to get built on, Labu and Smith to continue their form with the bat, and for our bowlers - who, no doubt, will be ******* exhausted after that - to get a) a good night's sleep, and b) a kick up the arse, then c) a beer, a laugh, and then onto the next test. We needed - after having bowled them for 67 - to slow the game down, turn day 2 into the end of day 3 before they even started batting again; put victory beyond them, age the pitch to give Lyon a chance. Australia doesn't play cricket that way, we play fast, we bowl bouncers, and we go for the win even when winning comes with risk attached. This is the consequence of that desire, and the fact that we couldn't play slow cricket for a day, just a day.

I'm starting to calm down now. It's never good to sleep angry. Night all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think itā€™s fair to say that England has one world class batsmen and we have one. All others who claim to be batsmen are pretty flakey at the moment (although Labuschagne has been brilliant and deserves credit for his technique and mental toughness).

The bowling attacks for both teams are strong and with the brittle batting on both sides Australia and England will continue to struggle with the bat.

I feel for Paine because unique circumstances have resulted in him being made captain. Itā€™s got to be incredibly difficult to do what he does and captain the team. No wonder heā€™s batting so poorly as well.

I wonder if he would have advised the skipper to review the decision in his role as keeper.

One of Khawaja, Head or Wade will make way as Smith will return for the next test and Labuschagne will retain his spot.

Iā€™ve seen enough of Pattinson. Starc is the x-factor player that we need in the team.

So in Smith and Starc. Out Khawaja and Pattinson.

he just stood there - changed nothing - impotent - mind you stokes was doing as he liked - as for lyon's under 12 run-out fumble - dropped the test match there
Even after we got root out, the bowling looked haphazard, no plan, minimal structure. Crumbled.

And that wasted review.... Fmd.

Khawaja out, Labu to 3, Smith to 4.

Wade or Head is a coin toss. Do you want 20-30 runs every innings but always be a chance to go out, no matter how in Head is all innings, or do you want Wade 100 or less than 10?

We need that 50 from Warner in the first dig to get built on, Labu and Smith to continue their form with the bat, and for our bowlers - who, no doubt, will be ******* exhausted after that - to get a) a good night's sleep, and b) a kick up the arse, then c) a beer, a laugh, and then onto the next test. We needed - after having bowled them for 67 - to slow the game down, turn day 2 into the end of day 3 before they even started batting again; put victory beyond them, age the pitch to give Lyon a chance. Australia doesn't play cricket that way, we play fast, we bowl bouncers, and we go for the win even when winning comes with risk attached. This is the consequence of that desire, and the fact that we couldn't play slow cricket for a day, just a day.

I'm starting to calm down now. It's never good to sleep angry. Night all.
We play fast, in a nutshell you have it. Encapsulated by Cummins final over to Leach. In what world when you're bowling fast to a number 11, protecting only 2 runs, do you bowl 4 short balls in a row. Hit the ******* stumps.

The last partnership was essentially the second half of a T20 match. s**t Stokes was playing the ramp shot and reverse sweeping so he gave us plenty of insight into what he was thinking. And yet we continued to bowl like it was a test match. None of the players can take a look at this calamity in review and feel comfortable with their reactions to it. This is the stuff that will haunt them forever.

Just thought I needed to say that.

these sorts of loses are generational - I still recall waking up to the carnage of botham in 81............very rare............consequently high intensity & impact - dravid and laxman in 2001 is another nightmarish loss that comes to mind........every 20 years or so the impossible happens........those 3 are the worst for me
nah, the loss at Adelaide to Windies tops the Dravid/Laxman thingy. We were always asking for trouble enforcing the follow on in that game in India. Was crazy we bowled them out cheap first innings and should have rested the bowlers knowing it was going to be a lot harder second innings.

I wish I could say I woke up to the Botham 81 carnage but was actually up late, secretly as a kid seeing it on tv when was supposed to be in bed.
Last night reminds me of Adelaide in sense a bad umpiring decision you cannot help but feel cost us at the end and the series was on a knife edge and we went on lose when we looked like we might finally topple the Windies that year. Border never got to experience it and through his worry ball all over the walls in room when McDermott was given out.
Why do we seem to lose Tests this way and win one dayers this way?
I'd happily swap it around and deal with horror odi losses.

My last thought on this catastrophe. Poor old šŸ

Lyon has been the one bowler to trouble Stokes. Regularly gets the edge of his bat and has had him out 3 times in this series LBW. Unfortunately the umpires have only given one! Stokes would not have been a centurion at Lords and would have been credited with a once in a lifetime knock at Headingley which failed to win the game.

Sure he stuffed up the run out chance but we should praise his bowling efforts in this series. 14 wickets (could have been 16).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back