Ballarat FL 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have to be a good player too get into that sunbury side!! Even gisborne for that matter! Both strong leagues

Tossing up weathers hes playing i hear mate.. Or where hes playing.had a meeting with city tonight i think.check the brat courier site mate

Is it true the Melton boys helped out the RSL on ANZAC Day, only to be handed $1,000 cash for their footy trip.
I thought ANZAC Day was about paying respect & helping the Diggers - not profiting from them! Poor form I reckon.

Terrible performance by Bacchus Marsh on the weekend who only looked like they were trying to avoid a 100 point defeat. Didn't even look like they were interested in winning, flooding the Darley forward line from the opening bounce and looking for the boundary at every possible opportunity. It was a great day, but disgusting game of football to watch.

When Darley were at their lowest point two years ago, not once did the club concede a game and employ these tactics. The kids were told to go out there, play their game, take the game on and if they make mistakes, suck it up and get to the next contest.

How is a club supposed to improve if the only instruction given to their kids is 'don't get flogged'? There are some good people at the Marsh football club and it is sad to see it in such a sorry state.

After just falling short last week against Redan, absolute cracking last quarter by the Melton South boys on Saturday night, showed great fight and determination to get over the Bloods.

Terrible performance by Bacchus Marsh on the weekend who only looked like they were trying to avoid a 100 point defeat. Didn't even look like they were interested in winning, flooding the Darley forward line from the opening bounce and looking for the boundary at every possible opportunity. It was a great day, but disgusting game of football to watch.

When Darley were at their lowest point two years ago, not once did the club concede a game and employ these tactics. The kids were told to go out there, play their game, take the game on and if they make mistakes, suck it up and get to the next contest.

How is a club supposed to improve if the only instruction given to their kids is 'don't get flogged'? There are some good people at the Marsh football club and it is sad to see it in such a sorry state.

Darley were too good. However you were clearly not watching the game closely. There was a very stiff breeze blowing down the grey street end making it difficult to score at the other end. (No goals scored at that end until last quarter). Yes they played a spare in the backline when kicking against the wind, but Darley was guilty of this tactic as well, putting at least one if not 2 players behind the ball when kicking in the wind.

I would also encourage you to check the score at half time, Darley led by a 3 points. The Marsh were wasteful bringing the ball into the forward line in the second quarter and could have easily gone into half time in front.

Darley late in the third quarter started winning the ball out of the centre and in the last quarter their class and bigger bodies in the center of the ground became too much for the Marsh and they dominated the clearances and the game.

Darley deserved to win as they were the better side on the day. However, To say that the Marsh weren't interested in winning is preposterous, they were 5 goals down kicking with a strong breeze in the last quarter. If they were better they could have won, but obviously they have work to do.

Darley were too good. However you were clearly not watching the game closely. There was a very stiff breeze blowing down the grey street end making it difficult to score at the other end. (No goals scored at that end until last quarter). Yes they played a spare in the backline when kicking against the wind, but Darley was guilty of this tactic as well, putting at least one if not 2 players behind the ball when kicking in the wind.

I would also encourage you to check the score at half time, Darley led by a 3 points. The Marsh were wasteful bringing the ball into the forward line in the second quarter and could have easily gone into half time in front.

Darley late in the third quarter started winning the ball out of the centre and in the last quarter their class and bigger bodies in the center of the ground became too much for the Marsh and they dominated the clearances and the game.

Darley deserved to win as they were the better side on the day. However, To say that the Marsh weren't interested in winning is preposterous, they were 5 goals down kicking with a strong breeze in the last quarter. If they were better they could have won, but obviously they have work to do.

Darley were an absolute rabble in the first half and you guys dominated the second quarter with the wind. You're boys weren't wasteful - they just had no concept of a forward line structure because you were more concerned about not getting anihilated in front of a big home town crowd. It was obvious you weren't expecting to have that much ball traffic coming forward.

The look on the face of long-time Marsh people said enough after the game. Darley still have a lot of work to do to string four quarters together, but your team is terrible. Internal unrest in the club in regard to the coach this early in the season won't help either.

Darley were an absolute rabble in the first half and you guys dominated the second quarter with the wind. You're boys weren't wasteful - they just had no concept of a forward line structure because you were more concerned about not getting anihilated in front of a big home town crowd. It was obvious you weren't expecting to have that much ball traffic coming forward.

The look on the face of long-time Marsh people said enough after the game. Darley still have a lot of work to do to string four quarters together, but your team is terrible. Internal unrest in the club in regard to the coach this early in the season won't help either.

From all reports, all the players love him. I guess that's one of the problems.

I have kept some interest in Bacchus Marsh over the last few years living in Mleton. What is it that has seen them so unsuccessful over a long period of time? Do they not have the budget to compete with the top sides? Juniors don't stick around? The juniors seem strong enough and it is a big town for only 2 sides. You would think they would be able to generate enough funds. What am I missing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have kept some interest in Bacchus Marsh over the last few years living in Mleton. What is it that has seen them so unsuccessful over a long period of time? Do they not have the budget to compete with the top sides? Juniors don't stick around? The juniors seem strong enough and it is a big town for only 2 sides. You would think they would be able to generate enough funds. What am I missing?

The strength of the juniors at both clubs show a capacity for two teams. From an outsiders perspective, the Marsh have been behind the times for a number of years off the field, which impacts on their ability to lure and keep quality recruits. Say what you want about building a side from within, but you are never going to be competitive without bringing in talented recruits.

I still think the Devon Sproule period (funnily enough their most recent successful period) hurt the club financially and probably alienated a lot of local supporters, members and sponsors. When all the mercinaries sought cash elsewhere, they were left with a lack of quality footballers to fill the gaps.

The strength of the juniors at both clubs show a capacity for two teams. From an outsiders perspective, the Marsh have been behind the times for a number of years off the field, which impacts on their ability to lure and keep quality recruits. Say what you want about building a side from within, but you are never going to be competitive without bringing in talented recruits.

I still think the Devon Sproule period (funnily enough their most recent successful period) hurt the club financially and probably alienated a lot of local supporters, members and sponsors. When all the mercinaries sought cash elsewhere, they were left with a lack of quality footballers to fill the gaps.
Thanks for the response. I have many friends at Marsh and Darley and have always wondered what the difference was. Do you think both clubs struggle geographically when trying to lure recruits? Half way between Melbourne, Geelong and Ballarat is not ideal.

Thanks for the response. I have many friends at Marsh and Darley and have always wondered what the difference was. Do you think both clubs struggle geographically when trying to lure recruits? Half way between Melbourne, Geelong and Ballarat is not ideal.

Especially when the money being offered 30 minutes closer to Melbourne in the Essendon league is so much better. Ballarat clubs have the benefit of the University. No reason at all for anyone to come to Bacchus Marsh/Darley other than a good club culture and money.

Darley has bucketloads of both, the Marsh has none of either.

Especially when the money being offered 30 minutes closer to Melbourne in the Essendon league is so much better. Ballarat clubs have the benefit of the University. No reason at all for anyone to come to Bacchus Marsh/Darley other than a good club culture and money.

Bacchus marsh do have money!, not as much as darley, but they do have money, i promise you that. Enough do afford some decent players, but hey just cant attract anyone.

Bacchus marsh do have money!, not as much as darley, but they do have money, i promise you that. Enough do afford some decent players, but hey just cant attract anyone.

Being around the club for a very long time I have to agree with much of what has been discussed above. The fallout of Devon Sproule was pretty large, although, the next couple of years with Stuhldrier at the helm weren't totally unsuccessful. There was a significant exodus of players after a pretty successful period, of both local and recruits, of which the club has probably never fully recovered. The recruits leaving was inevitable, however the loss of a substantial amount of local players decimated the club even more. The support and following of the club dropped dramatically.

Since then, there have been plenty of failed attempts to recruit the high profile coaches and players (some of which have been more harm than good). This has been made significantly more difficult by the lack of competitiveness on the field and the lack of senior experience and leadership. This lack of senior experience has been a vicious cycle at the club even with talented juniors. Kids are played when out of their depth, do not develop their potential and gain a sense of entitlement of playing senior football, even when form doesn't warrant it. This is still an area of concern especially with such a strong junior program.

Budget wise the Marsh has reasonable levels of support, but this hasn't been enough to entice the high quality players that is required to lift the standard of club. Ie. Jake Edwards, Jay Cheep, Jarrod Edwards.
Recruiting this level of players requires significant investment and luck with contacts. The Marsh have not had either in the past and have settled for recruiting average BFL players. I believe with the current list, if the club were able to recruit 1 or 2 of this standard of player, it would significantly enhance the play of the players currently in the team and would have a snowball effect on results. If you take Jake Edwards out of Darley the teams are not to dissimilar in quality.

@ James Kerr & Mr.T

What actually happened with this Devon Sproule you are both refering to? He coached them in the late 90s correct?

speaking of Darley, what is going on with their kicking for goal, definitely should have beaten Sunbury and looking at last weeks scores should have beaten Ballarat, may come back to bite them, especially the Ballarat loss

Their last qtrs against Sunbury 2-8 and against Ballarat 2-6, whats wrong

Being around the club for a very long time I have to agree with much of what has been discussed above. The fallout of Devon Sproule was pretty large, although, the next couple of years with Stuhldrier at the helm weren't totally unsuccessful. There was a significant exodus of players after a pretty successful period, of both local and recruits, of which the club has probably never fully recovered. The recruits leaving was inevitable, however the loss of a substantial amount of local players decimated the club even more. The support and following of the club dropped dramatically.

Since then, there have been plenty of failed attempts to recruit the high profile coaches and players (some of which have been more harm than good). This has been made significantly more difficult by the lack of competitiveness on the field and the lack of senior experience and leadership. This lack of senior experience has been a vicious cycle at the club even with talented juniors. Kids are played when out of their depth, do not develop their potential and gain a sense of entitlement of playing senior football, even when form doesn't warrant it. This is still an area of concern especially with such a strong junior program.

Budget wise the Marsh has reasonable levels of support, but this hasn't been enough to entice the high quality players that is required to lift the standard of club. Ie. Jake Edwards, Jay Cheep, Jarrod Edwards.
Recruiting this level of players requires significant investment and luck with contacts. The Marsh have not had either in the past and have settled for recruiting average BFL players. I believe with the current list, if the club were able to recruit 1 or 2 of this standard of player, it would significantly enhance the play of the players currently in the team and would have a snowball effect on results. If you take Jake Edwards out of Darley the teams are not to dissimilar in quality.

Dont know about the (luck with contacts) comment. Heard Hawkins say at a luncheon before the
derby that the Darley football manager had rung him and asked him for anyones number he thought
would be looking at coaching.He gave him Rod Macphersons and Simon Atkins, coach and assistant coach of Werribee,they end up with Macpherson still in the loop and able to recruit, with up to date knowledge of todays football. Marsh end up with Hawkins out of mainstream football for a long time
and unable to recruit because out too long. No disrespect to Hawkins or the Marsh but thats not luck, more good management I would have thought.

Dont know about the (luck with contacts) comment. Heard Hawkins say at a luncheon before the
derby that the Darley football manager had rung him and asked him for anyones number he thought
would be looking at coaching.He gave him Rod Macphersons and Simon Atkins, coach and assistant coach of Werribee,they end up with Macpherson still in the loop and able to recruit, with up to date knowledge of todays football. Marsh end up with Hawkins out of mainstream football for a long time
and unable to recruit because out too long. No disrespect to Hawkins or the Marsh but thats not luck, more good management I would have thought.

How does Matty Notman go at Melton and where does he play.

Marsh taking a step in the right direction ..... :rolleyes:

309913_10151370991337257_1446510522_n.jpg

big worry from the weekends results about state of footy in BFL.

two 100+ wins, closest game 43 point win, and Melton beaten easily by Marsh, who are ordinary at best

huge gap between the top teams and the bottom teams, have top 5 then couple in middle and rest are rubbish

but has been like this for a while now, when were Lakers, Sebas, Melton last competitive against the best teams, are they doing anything positive

I think you are looking with the benefit of hindsight and without understanding the contractual obligations and situation that Bacchus Marsh were in at the time. The club had already committed to Dave Callandar for another year, who had done a solid job bringing the club out of the mire that is the bottom in his first 2 years in the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back