Player Watch Beau McCreery

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge wraps for beau from kingy. Weve done well out of SA later in the draft
The kick to Bobby was great, but also credit to Bobby who was tailing his man running to the goal square while he pointed back to CHF, where the kick was surely delivered.

The kick to Bobby was great, but also credit to Bobby who was tailing his man running to the goal square while he pointed back to CHF, where the kick was surely delivered.

That’s the sort of synergy that builds when players play together often and start to understand their team mates capabilities.

3 further years. The length of this extension surprised me a little.

Am a fan but he is still raw

Maybe some interest in him from elsewhere?

Huge vote in confidence in beau from the club.

Must envisage him transitioning into more of a mid in the next couple of years

Any list management team with a clue would have made inquiries. Adelaide's forward line is as complete as it could get with a defensive playmaking forward like McCreery. They would have been the biggest threat. There are half a dozen other clubs with defensive forwards who don't kick goals that would have been keen on McCreery if he were gettable.

He is probably the 3rd forward picked in the 22 after Elliott and Checkers. Not surprising at all they want to secure him for the long term

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any list management team with a clue would have made inquiries. Adelaide's forward line is as complete as it could get with a defensive playmaking forward like McCreery. They would have been the biggest threat. There are half a dozen other clubs with defensive forwards who don't kick goals that would have been keen on McCreery if he were gettable.
I think any club could also look at Beau as a midfielder, he has all the attributes to be a gun mid, could definitely see him playing there as early as next year

Is Beau clean enough to become a Danger type through the middle?
I see it, but I don’t at the same time. Danger’s like a raging bull with his attack on the ball whereas McReery has that edge, but it’s more like a panther stalking it’s prey. Maybe it’s Dusty with a defensive mindset 🤷‍♂️

Part of me thinks the modern game hasn’t seen a player like McReery transition into the midfield. He feels “like” a harkback to the 80’s style brick shithouse mid that would barrel through blokes on the offensive and still be effective on the other side of the ball*. Someone like Ward or Libba have that same approach, but completely lack the athletic profile and skill of McReery.

*A couple of names come to mind, but they were to far ahead of my time to go with them.

Edit: Swanny actually feels like the best comparison I can make.

Last edited:

I posted last week about meeting Beau at the sponsors’ meet and greet at the club. He was pretty clear that he didn’t want, or had never wanted, to play for a SA club. He loves it at the Pies, and equally important in terms of any ‘go home’ factor, he enjoys Melbourne too. Said he had no plans to return to SA.

I posted last week about meeting Beau at the sponsors’ meet and greet at the club. He was pretty clear that he didn’t want, or had never wanted, to play for a SA club. He loves it at the Pies, and equally important in terms of any ‘go home’ factor, he enjoys Melbourne too. Said he had no plans to return to SA.
We have a higher retention rate of SA draftees than Vic draftees 😂

I see it, but I don’t at the same time. Danger’s like a raging bull with his attack on the ball whereas McReery has that edge, but it’s more like a panther stalking it’s prey. Maybe it’s Dusty with a defensive mindset 🤷‍♂️

Part of me thinks the modern game hasn’t seen a player like McReery transition into the midfield. He feels “like” a harkback to the 80’s style brick shithouse mid that would barrel through blokes on the offensive and still be effective on the other side of the ball*. Someone like Ward or Libba have that same approach, but completely lack the athletic profile and skill of McReery.

*A couple of names come to mind, but they were to far ahead of my time to go with them. Regardless of whether I’m accurate or not I guarantee people will disagree.

All I know is that we have to start getting him more involved up the ground. Maybe not this year but he is a match winner

That gave me goosebumps

The Daniel Chick reference is pretty apt. That guy was as hard as they come. Beau no different , lets just hope he doesnt lop off a digit to keep playing like Chick did.

What position did he play mainly in his juniors ?

I think we are trying to build a good young core to go with Naicos. This is a good start keeping Beau signed up well ahead.

*A couple of names come to mind, but they were to far ahead of my time to go with them.

If he ends up being to Dangerfield what DeGoey is to Dusty, I'll be pretty happy.

He's got the attributes, but I'm not sure if he has the game sense to link up on the outside like the cpmplete mids do. Could become a stoppage weapon though.

Yeah Swanny is a better stylistic like-for-like than Danger tbh, with McCreery lacking in accumulation nous but bringing a stronger defensive side.

Not sure he’s clean enough to be a first touch insider, but as a burst receiver type with the strength to get clear he’s an interesting proposition.

Good hard nosed defensive side to clamp down when the clearance doesn’t go our way.

Doubt his tank is quite there yet but it’s something worth experimenting with. Though he’s deadly on the flanks with a bit of space to charge into so you wouldn’t want to remove that from his game entirely either.

He can be very damaging though so I’d like to see us look for ways to get his possession count up.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back