Beethoven

Remove this Banner Ad

Beethoven - Great composer and writer of music or a series of really crappy movies? :D

I will explore both aspects in this very post...

First of all, Beethoven is a great composer of classical music, although I am not a fan of his work. His influence on music and to pre-game entertainment and recidals cannot be underrated, and although he was deaf, I am sure he knew how good he was.

Now the movies. Really crap. I just want to forget those two movies...although they produced the blonde chick daughter off the nanny... :cool:

The Hitman

Re: Re: Beethoven

Originally posted by dee_girl9

i saw a topic named Beethoven posted by none other than Darky, and i knew it was a joke. LOL :D

um no... I was actually hoping for a discussion based on his musical works and his influences in the 200+ years since his music became well-known. :confused:

Beethoven - bain of my life...........since I was given the piano from my grandparents house........and discovered that all my 'pianists' skills have gone down the drain and even playing the 'theme' from his 'ninth symphony' is beyond my dyslexic fingers............

Grrrrrr!

But a brief bio on the man..........from the 1960 piano book I have here....

"Ludwig van Beethoven is one of the greatest names in musical history. He started the study of music at the age of four. During his lifetime as a composer, he developed the symphony and the sonata to their highest forms.

His work habits were very strict. He carried sketchbooks with him at all times and wrote down musical ideas as they occured to him. Then would begin a tireless reworking of those ideas until they finally pleased him."

One question... was he deaf at birth or just when he got older?

It would be a strange choice of occupation for a deaf person... very masochistic...

I've never been a huge fan of classical music though I do admire the sheer brilliance and genius of composers such as Beethoven and Mozart to create such beautiful, complex music using such a wide variety of instruments. The music's lived on centuries and will continue to do so, I doubt music!? of the Backstreet Boy's ilk will last quite as long! ;)

My knowledge on these guys' lifes is minimal, I remember watching Amadeus once though!

Originally posted by Darky
He was born in 1770 and started to go deaf in his middle twenties. By 1819 he was completely deaf. He died in 1827 of pneumonia.

So he was pretty much deaf when he wrote all of his masterpieces?:confused:

Quite amazing actually.... makes you wonder how he did it...

he even conducted his 9th?? symphony premiere

the orchestra had to turn him around to see the standing ovation b/c he couldn't hear it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Briedis

So he was pretty much deaf when he wrote all of his masterpieces?:confused:

Quite amazing actually.... makes you wonder how he did it...

Actually his later stuff was mostly rejected by critics at the time, for being too radical and incorporating too many different tempos and movements within his pieces.

It wasn't until later in the19th century, when Wagner and Brahms cited him as an influence, that his best work was critically recognised.

Wagner took Beethoven's heavier styles, and redefined them with a louder and more aggressive style, which saw him become the father of heavy metal music (I kid you not).

Originally posted by coxon
anybody see that great movie 'immortal beloved' ?

Yeah it was a real dog.
If you want to see the excitable effect of Beethoven on young ladies check out the piano playing scene in "Room with a view"
Also the humurous lecture in "Howard's End" Obviously E.M.Foster and/or Merchant Ivory are into the great man!

My grandmother was a great fan of classical music, whereas my grandfather preferred jazz. Grandma liked to play classical music while they were having dinner and one night my grandfather interrupted the evening's proceedings by demanding that she change the record currently playing.

Grandma was exasperated. "Well, which one will I play then?"

"Play Bert! Bert!"

"Bert who?" she asked in bewilderment, trying to think of a jazz musician called Bert.

"Bert Hoven!" was the reply.

Bert Hoven from then on has been a family joke.

Originally posted by danzy_rocks
i absolutley love his work its so amazing
Fur Elise is my fave

Danzy...run do not walk out and get your hands on Arthur Brendel doing the sonatas....esp the TEMPEST!!! He recorded them twice, once in the 70's but get the later versions.

Darky!!

Fancy finding you here!

Did you know...

Mozart met a young Ludwig before the German master 'made it'. Now Mozart would have met all sorts of c'ocks but he was moved to comment 'this young man will change the world' and even had a painting done of Ludwig et al in his piano(harpsichord?) room.

Kind of like the genius in Wayne Carey declaring Evan Hewitt as the 'next messiah' circa 1998.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back