Traded Ben Long

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately didn't make the cut for the 22 this week against the Lions.
18 possies in the VFL (3rd highest of saints) so didn't hurt his chances for next week.

Ben Long

“Longy was excellent, especially in the second half where he played forward-midfield. He just throws himself at every contest and when he does that something usually comes of it. He’s a talented kid, he knows how to find the footy. He will be a lot better for the run. I don’t see him being in the VFL system for too long.”

Won't be erm.... long before we see him at AFL level.

I feel like I'm becoming his spokesperson but what the hell:

Postby jaxons » Tue 11 Apr 2017 6:32pm
Didn't play first 2 weeks due to suspension.
Very likely to be in this week.
Will be a jet.

Long way to the top
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-04-13/long-way-to-the-top

Ben Long has travelled further than most to realise his dream. He moved from his home in Darwin to board at Melbourne Grammar for the last three years of his schooling. Once there, he played for a handful of different teams before St Kilda read out his name last November. On Sunday, he will become the 1586th player to represent the Saints.

Across a long winter in 2016, Long captained the Northern Territory in the under-18 national championships, before playing for the Allies in division one of the same tournament. When his school football commitments finished in August, Long accepted an invitation to play with Footscray in the VFL. From there, he never looked back, entrenching himself inside a forward line that marched all the way through September and to a premiership.

“I guess looking back at it now, coming all the way from Darwin and moving to Melbourne was a big step for me. Along the way, I played a lot of different footy levels in the VFL where I was happy to win a flag at Footscray. I guess it got me drafted to St Kilda and here I am now debuting for the Saints, so I’m rapt and very happy,” Long told saints.com.au on Thursday night.

Football flows through Long’s veins. His uncle is former Essendon champion wingman Michael Long and his first cousin is four-time premiership Hawthorn forward Cyril Rioli.

longVFL.jpg

And given that Rioli blazed an almost identical path before him, albeit at Melbourne Grammar's arch nemesis Scotch College, it’s no surprise the excitement machine has played a pivotal role in Long’s development thus far.

“Growing up I had a role model in my older cousin Cyril Rioli. He’s had a big impact on me and been a big role model for me. I guess I sort of went along a similar pathway as him,” Long said.

“As a forward as well I try and mould my game around him; he brings the pressure and he’s really good on offence and with the footy. He’s a role model for me; I look up to him.

“(So has) my father and my uncle Michael Long who also played AFL. So there’s a mix of role models for me and they’ve always been there for me and are good to speak to for advice.”

In a small glimpse of what might lurk around the corner, Long produced a captivating half against Carlton in the JLT Community Series – his first game at the level. He finished with seven tackles and 34.4 pressure points in just 42 per cent game-time in an eye-catching display at Princes Park.

“It was a step up for me and I found a bit of confidence up there with by ‘Brucey’ and Mav [Weller] and the boys I play with in the forward line who give me a lot of confidence to play my own game and play off instinct and just give 100 per cent all day,” he said.

“It’s a role down forward that I’ve really been focusing on. As a team and as a whole in our forward line we really focus on our pressure and I think I can bring that to the team; I’ll be giving it me all on Sunday.”

Under the roof at Etihad Stadium on Sunday, Long will take the next step along a path that began when he packed up his life in Darwin and moved Melbourne at the start of 2014. The long wait is over.

longNT.jpg

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-04-13/long-way-to-the-top

Far from a Long shot for Richardson

"Our fans haven’t seen a lot of ‘Longy’ yet but he’s also got what ‘Gresh’ has got, that really aggressive lateral movement that means he’s going to be pretty hard to tackle."
Alan Richardson

Well there you have it. First game of many for the Saints and while his disposal numbers weren't huge.... not bad first up effort and looks more than comfortabke at AFL standard.

Equal second highest pressure act count.
Last quarter was one pressure act after another and kept repeating.
Awesome mark ... unfortunayely didn't quite make the distance for a goal.
6 kicks, 2 HB, 2 marks, 2 tackles

Did enough to keep his spot imo

Onya Longy!

Named on field at HFF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see Ben get his second game.
Unfortunately not enough output in disposals, score impact or pressure acts.
Will struggle to get past team selection this week.

Still, all good experience and a taste of the big time early in his Saints career.

I'd hope we leave him in for development reasons.
I like to play them in sets of three unless special circumstances dictate otherwise.
But that's just me.
As his advocate I hope your right.

We need to win the game first and foremost.
Must do our bit to climb the ladder and help Hawks slide to get a better pick.

Haven't seen stats on Longys game in the VFL yesterday. He did jag a goal though

Edit. 9 disposals 1 goal 1 pt.

Spots are gonna be tight this week after yesterdays great win over Hawks.
Doubt he gets back in especially against the GWS. Big bodies needed.

Last edited:
Watched some of the game against NB yesterday.
Not the greatest conditions (windy, cold, raining) but suited to Ben's agility and pressure game. Certainly suited to Ben more than Paddy (get out of my way McCartin why didn't he kick 7 again :rolleyes::rolleyes:).

Did some good things and certainly looks composed with the ball. Gave away a 50 mouthing off to the umpire which surely rated as a coaching opportunity.

Jagged 2 goals for the day so did his job but will need to work harder to get into the side with how the 1sts are travelling.

Didn't get to watch the game today (Mothers Day).
Longy kicked 3 goals which is a good effort.
Another undisciplined 50 meter penalty this week. Gonna need to stop reacting to being sledged by opposition or will be facing it forever. He'll learn from it.

Developing well and knows where to go, how to use his body, uses it well and knows where the big sticks are.

This week 8 kicks, 4 marks, 3 tackles and a goal which is encouraging.

In the forward pressure role he plays tackles are paramount. Think Ben will need to at least double that tackle count in order to get back to playing AFL.

Last edited:
When he came in, I was excited. But concerned as well. Unfortunately, my concerns seem not completely unfounded at this stage. He was an overager pick like Boekhurst and seemed to be similarly a coach's pick for a skinny outsider to add run.

Despite being an overager, he's shown little so far bar a tackle or two in his debut game. Sinclair was an overage pick in rookie draft but played 18 games and some of them pretty good.

Ben Long will turn 20 in year one, and just hasn't shown enough. Obviously, it's early at this stage and probably 2018 will be a key year for him, when he starts to get picked in the senior team, even if irregularly.

When he came in, I was excited. But concerned as well. Unfortunately, my concerns seem not completely unfounded at this stage. He was an overager pick like Boekhurst and seemed to be similarly a coach's pick for a skinny outsider to add run.

Despite being an overager, he's shown little so far bar a tackle or two in his debut game. Sinclair was an overage pick in rookie draft but played 18 games and some of them pretty good.

Ben Long will turn 20 in year one, and just hasn't shown enough. Obviously, it's early at this stage and probably 2018 will be a key year for him, when he starts to get picked in the senior team, even if irregularly.
If we want him to be that elite pressure forward, he has at least another 5kg of muscle to put on to make his tackles effective enough.

Obviously this will take time.

Sheesh...
How about we give the kid some time to work out where his locker is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back