Best regional footy ground you've been to??

Remove this Banner Ad

MadRyan said:
Thats another great ground of the MPNFL. It rivals Berwick in someways.

You have to be joking Berwick, rivals for what? They both have nice white fences then Sorrento rips it apart. Berwick is nothing special, open big and no atmosphere.

Pepi said:
May be a nice scenic ground, but the actual surface is disgraceful once winter comes along, any hint of rain and that ground turns into a mud puddle. Horrible club as well, bunch of arrogant blokes who stand up on that balcony watching the games heckling everyone, it's always a shocking day when you know you have to travel out to queens park

well said, every club in the bfl hates the ammos...with passion

tara said:
How long since you have played? Roger Sheeran is a great place to watch footy but the surface is very patchy in places. Broke my ankle in loose sand there. Have to admit though the surface whilst not as good as Rosedale ********s all over most other SFA grounds.

I used to think the same about the home team at Rosedale (Liverpool) but since we merged I cant complain. We have done a lot of work at the club to elimiate those who gave the former clubs a bad rep. We told a number of players to F Off because they couldnt help themselves and we were sick of copping ******** for the actions of a few.
Tara may not agree but i have to say that my ground (Bensons Lane) is one of the harder surfaces in the state,with turf pitch and all,but its a picturesque ground nonetheless.the Grose Valley and the Blue Mtns in the background,and Hercules and Starlifters taking off from the RAAF base,maybe its just me but i love it.as mentioned by Pantsless,it does have a wonderful odour from the local turf farms,but no-one rates a ground by smell do they?

Pekay I like your ground and facilities, however I recall being there on a very hot day when the turf farms had just fertilized and we were downwind. Flies, stench and heat make it very unpleasant to play and breath. U need at least a dozen cans just to make it tolerable but hey thats another thread ;)

MadRyan said:
Thats another great ground of the MPNFL. It rivals Berwick in someways.

Not a fan of Berwick. It's got no atmosphere. The wind sweeps through it. It's not a patch on Rye, Sorrento, Dromana etc.

Tigers 1945 said:
You won't get any argument from me on that statement.
I get sick of his bloody post-mortems on WIN after every match the Devils lose. There's a carefully prepared list of excuses as to why they lost, and he does constantly whine.
And I remember that whinge he had about the dew at York Park, we were like WTF :confused:
I remember when he hired a helicopter to dry out the old institute wing at North Hobart after snow and rain during the week of a Devils match.

Delusions of granduer that bloke.
we agree on that one tigers ;)

Rye and Sorrento cannot be beaten. Horsham City Oval is a great surface also with a great old stand and atmosphere. :) Forgot Coleraine and also Warracknabeal are fantastic surfaces, good to play on and for the supporters.

East33 said:
Bayswater Oval in the EFL is fantastic. Finals time is awesome when the sun is out and a big crowd, the atmosphere is electric.

Also Yarrawonga's ground is awesome.

Totally agree about Bayswater. I did a game there last year and saw the Noble Park/East Burwood final and the ground and facilities were terrific for players, umpires and fans was top notch. Great atmosphere for just a suburban ground.

colbys_kid said:
Eastern Oval in Ballarat has won me 3 flags. Absolutely love that ground have had a ball running down the wing in recent years.

Worst ground in the history of the game that :eek:

Junkie said:
Worst ground in the history of the game that :eek:

Eastern Oval in the '90's surface wise was a disgrace when it was wet but so were most grounds in the Ballarat region. City Oval Included. But the Ground itself and it's surroundings cannot be beaten. Fantastic to play footy on. They have done a heap of work to the surface and i'm lead to believe it holds up pretty well in the winter. Love the old brick grandstand. Heaps of tradition, character and atmosphere at the EO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigers 1945 said:
Classic example being Launceston's York Park (Aurora Stadium).
Former Premier Jim Bacon's Government was struggling for votes in the Northern electorate of Lyons, and all of a sudden the old fashioned century old York Park was transformed into a great modern stadium.

The boggy old leaf filled playing surface was re-layed and extended, big new stands were built all over the place, the whole Inveresk Precinct was rebuilt from what was a dodgy old railway area. :rolleyes:

All this for a town of a 100,000 people, I have no problem with them doing it up, I have a problem with the crap facilities in the South though where there are twice as many people, and more importantly the neglect of facilities in the capital, to buy votes from a small Northern city.
The TCA spent $16 million on Bellerive, and the government never tipped in a cent towards it.

Looks like you suffer from that famous (and extremely childish) north/south rivalry in Tasmania. Congratulations to the Northern Tasmanians and the Launceston Council for getting off their backsides and doing something about getting a top ground for AFL to be played on. (It seems like they influenced the right people) For heavens sake, Hobart had plenty of years to do it.....but what did the football bodies do in Hobart?.....worry about what everyone esle was doing!

What they should have done was follow the lead of the cricket association many years earlier when they decided to do something about cricket and get together one main cricket ground for the state and now Tassie has test matches and one day internationals.

Launceston seems to have followed the same example with fotball and now Tassie has AFL matches. What are you moaning about you small minded person! You now get to see AFL in your state.......oh yeah, you are inconvenienced by travelling for a couple of hours! Do other people in Tassie complain when they have to travel to the cricket? i think not.

Get over it and support the positive activity happening in your state. People travel from all over Victoria to Melbourne to watch AFL and we dont see such childish banter on here from them.

You aren't from the Tasmanian Football League by any chance are you?

doggmannx said:
not sure of the name but the Eastern Suburbs in the GDFL home ground is brilliant loved playing there back when i was playing with Werribee Centrals

the surface and size of the ground are excellent but the surrounds and facilities are very average. I think the ground is known as Richmond Crescent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back