Black Diamond AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Bon Scott said-lock up your daughters,lock up your wives, lock up your back doors and run for your lives. The Jets will land at No 1 on satday to form the "Mick Kemp & Peter Austin Fan Club", and will also entertain the crowd by taking drunk speccies over each other, breaking ankles and such. Footy trips..........................................................................................

Pekay, are you in Newcastle this weekend? Because it will be a ripper game at No.1. City the dominant side all year and Killarney with stated on their website a full strength side should be an absolute cracker! Although will be hard to beat last weeks game between Warners Bay and Cardiff. Tip City-not game enough to put a margin on it. ;)

I reckon city will either blow it open in the second qtr like they have in previous meetings or could they do a cardiff and loose there composure if its tight for 4 quarters. No doubt City were the best side all year but that dont amtter come finals time.
Either way i expect these two teams to meet again in a fortnight , maybe it would be better to play each week , particularly for sides with big units to keep there fitness up.

No doubt its going to be a fast, physical encounter and City will win if there big men can control the game. On the other hand if Killarney Vale can play a smart style of footy they are definitely a good chance.

Keys for City:

Tim Cotter, Michael Kemp & Courtney Knight

Keys for KV:

Rick White & Jackson Ireland

Hopefully its a dry fine day so we can see some nice open footy. Cant wait too see this one unfold!

Pekay, are you in Newcastle this weekend? Because it will be a ripper game at No.1. City the dominant side all year and Killarney with stated on their website a full strength side should be an absolute cracker! Although will be hard to beat last weeks game between Warners Bay and Cardiff. Tip City-not game enough to put a margin on it. ;)
Was a great day at No1, we got there(we all had blue shirts and i my long sleeve Jets strip)after 1st Qtr in reserves so put our support behind the Crows, top bunch of blokes if ever we've met,great support from their club too.We had fun abusing(i use it lightly)the umpire with the hat(he's one of our old boys)so Austy got caned, then we switched to City coz Big Kempy is another old boy. Great game in both grades, high scoring too,45 goals in 2s and 30 odd in 1s,highly entertaining.got worst hangover and its wednesday!!!love footy trips.

Was a great day at No1, we got there(we all had blue shirts and i my long sleeve Jets strip)after 1st Qtr in reserves so put our support behind the Crows, top bunch of blokes if ever we've met,great support from their club too.We had fun abusing(i use it lightly)the umpire with the hat(he's one of our old boys)so Austy got caned, then we switched to City coz Big Kempy is another old boy. Great game in both grades, high scoring too,45 goals in 2s and 30 odd in 1s,highly entertaining.got worst hangover and its wednesday!!!love footy trips.

What were your thoughts on the standard pekay- how does it compare to sydney- i thought the 2s were pretty good- an open game of footy- the bombers were really disapointing- the blues well drilled and certainley wanted it more, still i dont think the standard has improved, probably gone a bit backward from a couple of years ago

What were your thoughts on the standard pekay- how does it compare to sydney- i thought the 2s were pretty good- an open game of footy- the bombers were really disapointing- the blues well drilled and certainley wanted it more, still i dont think the standard has improved, probably gone a bit backward from a couple of years ago
Hard to say cents, i havent seen much top-flight in the flesh this year, i only see whats on TV match of round, but my esteemed colleague who calls the MOTR in SydAFL reckons the Reserves game(which was a cracker i reckon)would be about same as Syd 1st Division, and BD 1sts would probably be at Premier reserve level. A very good question. Was hoping to see Glen Page turn it on(he has that knack at times)but he couldnt hit his straps, Big Kempy for City had a solid game(still best tap ruckman iv seen)and City should be deserved favourites. We went up for 2004 GF(Hawks v Panthers)and i'd say the footy i saw then was probably about same level as i saw last weekend. And its a joy to kick the pill(no offence Joey)on NO1, that ground is Mickey Mouse.

Well, we have finally arrived at the big final...

What are everyones predictions???

Its pretty hard to go past City, although if we get too much rain it might change the context of battle and possibly open the door slightly for the Bombers.

It must be said that its a great effort for City to have a side in each grade on the big day.

Congratulations to Tim Sheldon for winning the Elliott-Davey medal last night.

Hard to go past City, If the rain continues, I don't think it will hinder City too much but will make it a very tight match, City played Warners at Bulldog Stadium in wet conditions and seemed to have learnt ferom their mistakes from last year quoted from the Warners Bay website "City handed a us a footballing lesson" so the wet won't be as troubling for City as it was last year, unless it's gets to Biblical proportions like it did last year! - Tip, City
In the Mcgoo's it will be a match certainly not too miss, can they have another shootout like two weeks ago or will some emphasis be put on defence, City might be reeling from the possible loss of Ben Foynes (Fat Capper) with a broken arm but still ahve plenty of fire power, so do Macquarie with Hodge up front, it will be a specticle, Tip, City only due to the fact it's at number 1 with 2 other grades in and that they beat them two weeks ago.
18's- See's the same two side competing as reserve grade, City beat the Crows in the last round of the home and away season and maybe might pull it off again, they we're struggling at the start of the year but have come home with a real flourish and will be hard to beat. Macquarie have played consitantly all year and will give a great showing out there with 1st and 2nd in the league B&F they definately have some great fire power out there and will be hard to stop. Tip City, won the flag last year and beat macquarie last time they met.
Will be a great day weather permitting can't wait!

Have to go for City by a big margin wet dry or other, and well deserved as well, great effort to get 3 grades in and appear well run on and off the field.

The b & f was intersting, Church (gosford) 2 votes, and Ireland ( kv)4 - these 2 were definately in the best 6 on the coast in my opinion
Congrats to Sheldon great effort in such a quailty team to get 20 votes- a worthy winner

Who one young player of the year and the clubman awards etc?

The weekend shapes up to be a massive one for the Newcastle City boys in my opinion. I think they will be too strong all over the park in 1st grade against the Bombers who will battle hard, however I have said before the City side this year is the best ive played against in 10 years of first grade up here, they have their talls, but their midfield of Cotter, Woodhams, M. Knight etc is totally underrated and a massive key to their success, especially getting their hands on the ball 1st at no 1. Killarney will rely on Cambourn, Ireland and White, while Edgley will give them a bit of spark, but I cant see Killarney getting within 6 goals.
I think City will be too strong in reserves and 18s, however I think its a great achievement by the Crows to have both sides make their first grand finals, after getting a fair touch up week in week out only a couple of weeks ago. Full credit must go to their committee who have got them running superbly and I think they will acquit themselves well in the 1st grade next year. In the 18s grand final watch for Josh Nesbitt, Mitch Rawson and Matthew Bailey from City to have big games, while Kris Wozniak plays in his 4th consecutive grand final in the 18s and has caused me plenty of pain with the result going his way in the past 3! Lake Macquarie should be well served by Alex Sain, Shane Adams and Joseph Relic
The league medal certainly went to a deserving winner in Tim Sheldon who is a very good footballer, while Tadd Walford was rewarded for a consistent season coming 2nd. A few things that came to light out of the results I have seen however.... In a game Warners Bay beat Nelson Bay by 150 points, Nelson Bay players received the 3 vote and 1 vote in that game, how can you get beat by 150 points and have 2 of the best 3 players on the field?????? How Steve Church only polled 2 votes and Jackson Ireland 4 is astounding, these two players have dominated games I have seen and that had me absoultely stumped when I saw the results. Courntey Knight kicked 100 goals and only polled 6 votes. I guess some players catch the umpires eye and some dont, but surely this a bit strange.
Well done to Danny Brown from Woy Woy who won clubperson of the year and to Bubby from Warners who won coach of the year. Must make mention of Gosford who once again took out the award every club is after.... The best website!!!
Should be a cracker on Saturday, may the best team win!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The weekend shapes up to be a massive one for the Newcastle City boys in my opinion. I think they will be too strong all over the park in 1st grade against the Bombers who will battle hard, however I have said before the City side this year is the best ive played against in 10 years of first grade up here, they have their talls, but their midfield of Cotter, Woodhams, M. Knight etc is totally underrated and a massive key to their success, especially getting their hands on the ball 1st at no 1. Killarney will rely on Cambourn, Ireland and White, while Edgley will give them a bit of spark, but I cant see Killarney getting within 6 goals.
I think City will be too strong in reserves and 18s, however I think its a great achievement by the Crows to have both sides make their first grand finals, after getting a fair touch up week in week out only a couple of weeks ago. Full credit must go to their committee who have got them running superbly and I think they will acquit themselves well in the 1st grade next year. In the 18s grand final watch for Josh Nesbitt, Mitch Rawson and Matthew Bailey from City to have big games, while Kris Wozniak plays in his 4th consecutive grand final in the 18s and has caused me plenty of pain with the result going his way in the past 3! Lake Macquarie should be well served by Alex Sain, Shane Adams and Joseph Relic
The league medal certainly went to a deserving winner in Tim Sheldon who is a very good footballer, while Tadd Walford was rewarded for a consistent season coming 2nd. A few things that came to light out of the results I have seen however.... In a game Warners Bay beat Nelson Bay by 150 points, Nelson Bay players received the 3 vote and 1 vote in that game, how can you get beat by 150 points and have 2 of the best 3 players on the field?????? How Steve Church only polled 2 votes and Jackson Ireland 4 is astounding, these two players have dominated games I have seen and that had me absoultely stumped when I saw the results. Courntey Knight kicked 100 goals and only polled 6 votes. I guess some players catch the umpires eye and some dont, but surely this a bit strange.
Well done to Danny Brown from Woy Woy who won clubperson of the year and to Bubby from Warners who won coach of the year. Must make mention of Gosford who once again took out the award every club is after.... The best website!!!
Should be a cracker on Saturday, may the best team win!

I agree, If you kick in excess of 100 goals, surely you must get the umpires attention and Church and Ireland are continually in their clubs best????.

Just goes to show that umpire votes are bewildering at times.

Ah dear,
I have just looked at a few of the past posts and at the results of the Elliott Davey Medal and honestly I cant remember the last time I had such a good laugh.
I am not knocking the winners of the awards here, I am quite aware that Tim Sheldon is a very good player in a good side, Mathew Hodge was a first grade player in Sydney and should have dominated the competition and Alex Sain features in his clubs best players week in week out.
The voting obviously shows that the umpires have clearly no idea in this competition. How Jackson Ireland can only poll 4 votes in this competition is laughable, when he is a major reason Killarney Vale are playing in a grand final. I have seen Steve Church absoultely dominate the Gosford games i have seen and he only polled 2 votes, no disrespect to Tadd Walford, who wins a lot of ball, but ask anyone who saw a Gosford game this year and they will agree Church is the dominant player at that club by a long long way.
Cameron Grentell could only manage 2 votes, Mitchell and Courtney Knight polled 8 votes between them, Glen Page only managed 1 vote, Shawn Simpson 1 vote, Glen Stone who is Nelson Bays best player didnt even poll a vote. Fair dinkum!
The Carlton Draught Player of the Year surely is a much more creditable award and Jackson Ireland thoroughly deserved that recognition. Im not sure how the voting for that award works, but it seems the people who pick it actually watch the games of football in this league!
My tips this weekend
1ST GRADE- CITY by 4 goals
RESERVES- CITY by 12 goals
18s- CITY by 13 points

Firstly, congrats to all the winners in the medal count last Monday night. I guess I am in agreeance as to the bewilderment of the players notably missing from the votes this season in 1st grade. Church and Ireland should have faired much better in the count as many who have witnessed their dominant games can atest. Maybe the fact that Church was new to the competition this season had an effect on the decision making. Either way, it was disappointing to see him poll in one game only. He was probably Gosford's best player on at least half a dozen occasions.
And after Ireland cleaned up one major award on the night (and deservedly so after being voted in by his peers), certainly should have polled in the top ten.
I guess you could say that some people's interpretation of the game differs from others, albeit the wrong interpretation.
I guess the club best and fairest is a better indication of the finer players in the competition. Maybe everyone could cast a comment on the forum as to how their respective vote counts went. Would be very interested to see the results.
My tips for the Grand Finals-:
*** Black Diamond - Newcastle City by 9 goals (TOO TALL)
*** Reserve Grade - Newcastle City by 5 goals (TOO TALL)
*** Under 18's - Newcastle City by 4 goals (MORE FINALS EXPERIENCE)

field Umpires for senior GF -Crowhurst, Plukka and Stone
Congratulations to them on their selection,

2 out of 3 aint bad - lets hope they are consistent for 4 qtrs

Any surprise ins or outs? - will the weather play a part ?

field Umpires for senior GF -Crowhurst, Plukka and Stone
Congratulations to them on their selection,

2 out of 3 aint bad - lets hope they are consistent for 4 qtrs

Any surprise ins or outs? - will the weather play a part ?

Reports out of the Medal night on Monday were that there were a few walking wounded in the Bombers camp, but im sure they will be up and going on saturday.

In terms of the weather, im sure a dry day would definiteley suit City, however i dont think a wet track would sway things that much.

I honestly cant see City being beaten in any of the three matches.

Fingers crossed for a dry, fine, spring day so we can all enjoy the big day!!

Congratulations to the Bombers on a mighty Victory, no one saw that sort of turn around coming. Speaking to some of the boys they said references from " the internet" were used as ammo before the game.
The Blues must be smarting - goes to show its a different ball game come finals time.
When was the last time a side went from 6th to premiers in one year? some hope for the mighty tiges in 2008!!!

From what i've heard the two Newcastle heavyweights Cardiff & City are losing a few players. Cardiff are apparently losing 10 senior first grade players and City are losing about half that amount.

I've also heard along the grapevine that Warners Bay will be without a few first graders due to suspension stemming from The Black Diamond presentation night.

On the grand final City went in overconfident and therefore lost. There were a few too many smiles in the camp after Cardiff got knocked out. In my opinion if your going to be the premier team you have to "want" to play the best and not expect to just cruise to a premiership because things dont work like that, EVER!

Looks like quite a big turn over of coaches for next season.
- Mick Guy moving away from terrigal for work.
- Leigh Spinks moving on due to family and business reasons
- Rumoured that Burnsy's been given the boot due to City losing again in the Grand Final.
- Rumoured that Duges is being moved on due to dissatisfaction in the Hawks ranks, with Ryno coming back to coach.
- Deon Crowden still to confirm whether he will coach the Marlins again....but unlikely. Rumoured that Luffy will coach.
- Will Wyong and Warners retain there coaching setup??
- You would think Killarney would stick with a good thing, as long as Cutler is willing to continue on (as Coach only that is!!)

Any comments??

Looks like quite a big turn over of coaches for next season.
- Mick Guy moving away from terrigal for work.
- Leigh Spinks moving on due to family and business reasons
- Rumoured that Burnsy's been given the boot due to City losing again in the Grand Final.
- Rumoured that Duges is being moved on due to dissatisfaction in the Hawks ranks, with Ryno coming back to coach.
- Deon Crowden still to confirm whether he will coach the Marlins again....but unlikely. Rumoured that Luffy will coach.
- Will Wyong and Warners retain there coaching setup??
- You would think Killarney would stick with a good thing, as long as Cutler is willing to continue on (as Coach only that is!!)

Any comments??

A comments based on things I have heard from a few guys I know at the different Newcastle clubs.

Burns / City.
Was definitely not moved on, wife just had their first child, club more than happy with him, he spoke to the guys and told them prior to the gf. With Grand Final wins in 16's 18's Reserves and a 2nd GF in the ones, would think the club is very happy with its current position and direction at this stage.

Duges / Cardiff.
Seriously I wouldn't think Duges with his record would be going anywhere if he really wanted the job. I couldn't see the committee putting the knife through one of their favourite sons, just because they miss out once in 10 years.

Luff/ N Bay
Would surprise in one way if Luffy returned as he has a number of things going in Sydney, media, business etc and was still getting some coin to play as well, saying that, his young fella is into the footy playing U 11's for the Bay and his family are still in the area, so never say never. Hard task with what they had to work with. This proposed merger/affiliation with Singleton wont solve their problems I dont think.

Bubb / Warners Bay
Wouldn't surprise to see turnover of coach at Warners Bay. Culture is important and needs to be addressed immediately.
The incident at the BDAFL presentation may well provide the ammo for someone pushing for the job.

Jannisen/ L Macq
Have heard a few whispers connecting another successful, experienced coach from the area with the Teralba club. As far as I know, the person hasnt even been approached though, so that's rumour for you.

Dont know much about the Coast clubs, although Spinks and Guy announced ages ago that they weren't going again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back